Question about fruit

So I am pretty meticulous about weighing all my food. I am confused about how to weigh my fruit though. Cut up melon or berries is easy but I don't know what to do about fruits like apples and bananas. I usually take them to work because they travel easy but how do I log that? Can I just ballpark it? I don't think I'm ready to start weighing apple cores and bananas at work. Ha ha

Replies

• valleycyclone
    valleycyclone Posts: 6 Member
    I personally would just ballpark it and some logs for like bananas or apples ask for the size of the fruit such as the radius or the length so if you really want to, you can measure it before you go to work.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I occasionally log food at work. I try to do it in the break room, when no one is around, because it often sparks questions, and I get the "OCD" Comments. Is that the only reason you don't want to?

Or perhaps peel your banana, or slice your apple, weigh them at home, rub a smidgen of lemon juice to prevent browning, and take them with you?
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    If all your fruit is a similar size, meticulously weight one de-cored/peeled/whatever at home and use it as a base for all the others. If one of your apples is 80cald and they're all about the same size, it's close enough
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2016
    I always slice my apples up into wedges...I hate whole apples for some reason. That said, I was never worried about being super accurate with my veg and fruit...this is all a bunch of estimates anyway.
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Yeah, my coworkers find it odd that I pay any attention to what I eat at all. I can't imagine how they would react to me bringing in a food scale. I don't really care what they think but it gets old having to explain my actions all the time.

I think I will continue to just ballpark it and maybe leave a little wiggle room in my calories to compensate for any overestimation.

The slicing/lemon juice is a great idea but I mainly take fruit for the convenience. My pre work routine is already a little rushed.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    If all your fruit is a similar size, meticulously weight one de-cored/peeled/whatever at home and use it as a base for all the others. If one of your apples is 80cald and they're all about the same size, it's close enough

This is what I typically do - weigh one at home and use that info to estimate. I know I may end up eating less of one apple and more of another, but it'll even out over time. Weighing one gives me a good baseline for the estimates, and apples aren't too calorie-dense so I'm not super concerned about inaccuracies :)

~Lyssa