Do I need a reality check?

Options
I'm very aware things change over the years, like the time it takes for my muscles to recover, my bald spot getting larger lol, but here's the deal.

I'm 57, and do not consider that "Old" at all. I feel 10 years younger. My primary goal for fitness is flexibility, endurance and overall strength, but here's the problem - everyone around me insists on reminding me of my age. As if I'm brittle or something. SHUT UP! lol :smiley: I know they probably mean well, but come on - I've gone from 2 chin ups to 10 pretty easily, and from wheezing after 10 body weight squats to being able to do single leg squats.

I have this fantasy about being able to do some type of beginners calisthenics soon, like muscleups and such. But damn it, those voices got into my head and now I'm questioning if they're right or not, and I hate that. I feel great and more fit than I have for years.

I guess I (as another member put it) got the feelz lol. They're pissing me off and I need someone to tell me I got this.

People - ugh

rant over lol - thanks for reading :/

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have had my fair share of strains and sprains over the last 10 years. My joints and tendons can't keep up to my muscles and lungs/heart. I try to ease into things. C25K for instance.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    I get the same, i am 52.
    but i ride mountain bike. and am rarely not in the front 25%, there are 18yr olds trailing behind me.
    Until that starts to change. i dont care less what numbers are in my age

That's what I like to hear, yes. One of my coworkers is 17 years younger and he's out of steam long before I am. I'm going to start reminding him of that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Tell those people that "remind" you of your age that you're 57 - not dead.

Your goals seem fine.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    I'm 55 and have had my fair share of strains and sprains over the last 10 years. My joints and tendons can't keep up to my muscles and lungs/heart. I try to ease into things. C25K for instance.

I've been reminded of that too lol. We can still do it though...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

I've been reminded of that too lol. We can still do it though...

Oh absolutely. I just can't approach improvement in the sporadic way I used to. But I've got a 5k in my sights (just waiting for this piriformis thingy to clear up) and I still play tennis three times a week (now that my tennis elbow has cleared up) and strength train three times a week.

I also have a bunch of fallback exercises for when my knees or feet are being whiny, specifically elliptical, rowing and cycling. Swimming if it's summertime. I've developed visible muscles (also thanks to weight loss of course), and have been trying to push my VO2 max through things like interval sprinting. It's ALL doable. But ignoring the fact that I'm not as young as I once was hasn't worked out that well for me. Feet, Achilles, ankles, calves, knees, hips, lower back, upper back, shoulders, elbows, wrists have all complained at length.

I know you were looking for a pep talk, not more cautionary words, but my advice isn't to just give 'er, but to enter into regular slowly progressing fitness programs. The key for me is less unbridled enthusiasm and more regularity.

Wish you well, however you tackle it.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You will get old by NOT doing anthing. Do what you want, and if you have to modify it a bit until you get used to it then so be it, you're still beating those on the couch, go you !!!
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Oh absolutely. I just can't approach improvement in the sporadic way I used to. But I've got a 5k in my sights (just waiting for this piriformis thingy to clear up) and I still play tennis three times a week and strength train three times a week.
    I had to google piriformis - no fun at all, but I hope it clears up fast for you. I've dealt with back pain over the years and it's no fun, but from the sound of it you aren't letting it slow you down too much. Major props for toughness. :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Tell those people that "remind" you of your age that you're 57 - not dead.

Your goals seem fine.

Thank you!
  • sizzawu
    sizzawu Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do not listen to them!! You'll know if you are pushing yourself too much..and your body will certainly tell you. It probably makes them uncomfortable because they know they could be doing more and they're not.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement :) My wife is always saying to listen to my body, because I have a tendency to overdo it at times. I'm learning though.
  • sizzawu
    Options
    You're welcome
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sizzawu wrote: »
    Do not listen to them!! You'll know if you are pushing yourself too much..and your body will certainly tell you. It probably makes them uncomfortable because they know they could be doing more and they're not.

Yes, this - you're probably making younger people feel inferior and lazy... ;)

You and your doctor know your body and what it can do better than anyone, so do however much is comfortable and safe for you and don't let "you're too old for that!" be a reason to not do what you want!

Tell the people around you to look up Ernestine Shepherd, a weightlifter in her late 70s, if they think 57 is "too old" to pursue fitness... she started at 56. :)

(edit - that's her in the picture @sizzawu just posted. :) )
  • sizzawu
    Options
    @SueSueDio - great minds think alike!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, they are reacting to how you make THEM feel. Take it as a complement, know that your efforts are showing results, and smile.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    0366pmdhawo4.png

Awesome! :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Yes, this - you're probably making younger people feel inferior and lazy... ;)

You and your doctor know your body and what it can do better than anyone, so do however much is comfortable and safe for you and don't let "you're too old for that!" be a reason to not do what you want!

Tell the people around you to look up Ernestine Shepherd, a weightlifter in her late 70s, if they think 57 is "too old" to pursue fitness... she started at 56. :)

(edit - that's her in the picture @sizzawu just posted. :) )

Thanks! I've never heard of Ernestine until now - I'm book marking that on my phone lol.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    As others have noted, they are reacting to how you make THEM feel. Take it as a complement, know that your efforts are showing results, and smile.

Thank you - I like that idea. Consider your advice appreciated and taken. :)