I have less self control while maintaining then I did while losing

Options
I went from around 250 pounds last september to about 165 this year. Well anyway the last couple of days have been brutal. I had about 500 calories leftover for the day after work and decided to go for a jalapeno mchicken which was 430. Well anyway the guy upsold me on a medium fries for $1 more which was 340. So yeah I'm over already. And part of me just snaps when I'm already over my goal. I just don't stop and tell myself i'll try again tomorrow I just keep eating and eating and eating. When I was losing weight it was easy because I had some kind of goal to focus on. Now I think I'm kinda rebelling against the "rules" i set for myself by forcing a certain amount of calories on myself. Anyone go through this and have any advice? The good knews is I know I'm doing it. The bad news is I have no *kitten* clue how to stop it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am having something similar at the moment. I have to tell myself that I'm used to eating too much, and it's okay to want more, and that I can't expect to feel satisfied at all times. But it's also okay to eat a bit too much now and then, as long as I don't do it all the time, and when I feel okay, I don't feel the urge to eat all the time.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider a different kind of goal now.
    I think it's critical to have a fitness goal while in maintenance. I seriously doubt that I would be able to maintain my weight without fitness goals. In addition to getting stronger I find that my appetite is far better controlled with regular exercise. Conversely, if I stop exercising I tend to overeat.

It's good to have goals.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider a different kind of goal now. Have you considered a lean strength training bulk? Maybe you'd be happier if you started seasonal bulking, and cutting.

I want to start running but it's November in Chicago and I can't really afford weight training right now. I did just hike 5 miles stopping for a protein shake on the way so back on the wagon but maybe it would be easier to not binge if next meal wasnt always in the back of my mind like counting calories
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight one other time and people said it must have been hard. I didn't think losing the weight was nearly as hard as maintaining it and now I am back up and past where I was.

Thank you for starting this thread and I will check back when I am at my goal weight. Good luck to you and I hope the advice here helps! :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For starters it is too not worry about the 150 calories if I want to go over if I really want it. I look at the week for total calories goals.. So I might can go over 500, and maybe be cut a little on other days.

Its is and always will be a forever feet that I have to consciously do every single day. I have to watch what and how much I eat or I go right back to way I was.. I must always watch calories, make sure I keep up the exercise and make wise choices. It does not stop at weight loss.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration and I'm battling it myself. I was 5 pounds away from my goal when I went on a cruise in September. I started out good, but by the end I had lost all control. I was determined to get back on track after getting home but its been a huge battle. Ever since, I have had good (disciplined) stretches and then something in my head says IDGAF and I end up eating fatty/sugary junk.

It doesn't make any sense that I could be so disciplined for 9 months and suddenly it's all gone in a few days. I've finally stayed on track for the last couple weeks, hopefully we can all keep our heads on straight this holiday season!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I found maintaining much harder. I think one "problem", at least for me, is that it was less exciting. Seeing another 1-3 pounds lost every week was pretty exhilarating at the time. That's only one factor of course. I do think the "freedom" from meticulously tracking was a hindrance too. Meaning I tried to maintain on feel, rather than hard numbers. So I lost the battle and added around 90 pounds. OP, I hope you can get back on track so nothing so drastic happens to you, it is a bummer to have to grind through the process all over again. I've lost 30 of those added pounds, but still a ways to go...
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I went from around 250 pounds last september to about 165 this year. Well anyway the last couple of days have been brutal. I had about 500 calories leftover for the day after work and decided to go for a jalapeno mchicken which was 430. Well anyway the guy upsold me on a medium fries for $1 more which was 340. So yeah I'm over already. And part of me just snaps when I'm already over my goal. I just don't stop and tell myself i'll try again tomorrow I just keep eating and eating and eating. When I was losing weight it was easy because I had some kind of goal to focus on. Now I think I'm kinda rebelling against the "rules" i set for myself by forcing a certain amount of calories on myself. Anyone go through this and have any advice? The good knews is I know I'm doing it. The bad news is I have no *kitten* clue how to stop it.

Are you gaining since you are eating a bit more?
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find with maintaining that having a weekly caloric and a weekly fitness goal feels more freeing and less of a task than daily goals. It gives the flexibility to enjoy your weekends/downtime and than the other days you can be a bit more focused on staying on the maintenance track. It certainly becomes easier over time with the right mental attitude but without the restrictions of losing weight. Once you make it part of your everyday lifestyle (ie. a habit or routine) just like work, paying bills, walking the dog, etc you will think about it less and it will happen naturally.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Interesting thread. After about 9 months of steady losing I went into maintenance a few months ago 2 lbs away from my original goal. I was just tired. For the last month now I have been sitting at +4lbs at the higher end of my maintenance range you could say. Yikes.

So now I am now back in a deficit phase to try to get to my original goal of 145 lbs by Christmas.

For me the maintenance phase is trickier than the deficit phase was specifically because in maintenance I am eating more foods which are difficult to measure. So my CICO calculations are 'looser'. For me that is a slippery slope. If I can count exact calories then it seems I can keep my weight steady but as soon as the CICO accuracy slides then my weight only slides in one direction - UP!

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

So, for now - at least until Christmas - I am back tracking as diligently as I can - to keep a deficit and get these last few #@$*#()@_*$( lbs off.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you all! Losing the weight (160 lbs at best) was much easier than maintaining..... As soon as I eat a little more I just seem to go wild, Since reaching goal, I have been gaining and then losing about 20 lbs over and over - is that what normal eating is?? I think that so long as I keep an eye and don't let any gains go too far then it is manageable.
  • sammyjaynz
    sammyjaynz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sercupid - That's completely normal, I did a similar thing about 15 years ago, but if it helps have stayed about 170 since then. I think your body has a set point and it takes a while for it to adjust to the new set point. I've always found if you eat more than you would like, just do some body weight exercises to make up for it. Squats, Press ups, Sit ups etc, you might find you enjoy them! You'll still fluctuate naturally anyway, however I would stay away from McD's. The quantity of sugar in thier "so called" food will throw a spanner in the works with your blood sugar. Good luck