OMG. Acid Reflux/heart burn!!!!

Options
I NEVER get this. I had it when preggo and that is it. I noticed it a few weeks back a slight twinge at night here and there. Last night was far by the WORSE. I couldnt sleep on my stomach or side or I would be cramping and agony. Today I have had vomit taste in my mouth all day! My stomach and chest are bloated/extended. I took Tums last night and today and a Zantac and nothing has helped.
WTH. why now? I dont have any major change in diet..like I havent done anything differently. I have been drinking a TON of water and working out way more (no weight loss either mind you).
I dont think its food related at all..
What can I do????

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I NEVER get this. I had it when preggo and that is it. I noticed it a few weeks back a slight twinge at night here and there. Last night was far by the WORSE. I couldnt sleep on my stomach or side or I would be cramping and agony. Today I have had vomit taste in my mouth all day! My stomach and chest are bloated/extended. I took Tums last night and today and a Zantac and nothing has helped.
    WTH. why now? I dont have any major change in diet..like I havent done anything differently. I have been drinking a TON of water and working out way more (no weight loss either mind you).
    I dont think its food related at all..
    What can I do????
  • Lynn1987
    Options
    Wow, so weird, I had the exact same thing happen to me last night! but I know what mine was from (hangover + spicy food! lol)
    I found drinking a few sips of milk every few hours helped!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I use to get this ALL the time before I started changing the way I ate. I was told to mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of baking soda & about 3 oz of water and drink it straight down. It sounds gross, and tastes gross, but works! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If this continues for long (a week or more), go see your doctor.

Acid reflux or GastroEsophogeal Reflux Disease (GERD) can lead to esophogeal cancer if left untreated. I'm not saying this to scare you into running to your doc, just trying to let you know that the annoying pain, if it continues, may be reason to see a doctor. Medication can settle the acid and the reduce the risks. Also, my GERD turned into an ulcer that perforated (think: ate a hole in the side of my stomach) because I wasn't adhering to my medication schedule, trying to just live through the mild pain. Dumb, dumb, dumb! I take my medication daily now, no ifs ands or buts.

Other things to try for temporary relief:
    Milk or dairy (some find this helps)
    Elevate yourself on pillows
    Elevate the head of your bed
    Eat smaller meals in the evenings
    Eat more times a day so your body has less to digest with each meal
    No spicy foods, no red foods (tomato sauces), no caffeine or coffee (Or decrease all of these)
    Water, water, water.

Hope you feel better!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Try pepcid, for me it works better than zanctac, just make sure it is the maximum strength stuff, it takes a little while to work but it last a long time. Also is there any chance that your pregnant again.
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    With the description that you provide I would suggest going to a Dr. with the cramps and vomit taste (acid). You are experiencing acid reflux. Without having any history of heartburn or acid in the past I would get it looked at.

I have had heartburn and acid reflux since I can remember and experience it almost nightly. I know how uncomfortable and painful it may be. As bad as it is I am very reluctant to visiting a dr. but in your cicumstance if it stays that way any longer I would go get looked at.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from this (heartburn) and bf suffers from acid reflux, it comes right up in his mouth:sad: Some years ago I was on Prevacid, then Nexxium (got really expensive) and I have settled for Prilosec OTC for both of us. The only downside I see is that if we go more than a few days without it, let's say we run out and didn't make it to the store, then it hurts again pretty bad until it gets back into our system.
  • coronalime
    Options
    Try pepcid, for me it works better than zanctac, just make sure it is the maximum strength stuff, it takes a little while to work but it last a long time. Also is there any chance that your pregnant again.

I better not be :noway: ..I have Mirena (IUD) and only 1 year into the 5 yrs it lasts :)
  • xrayu2
    xrayu2 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hello! I am new here but can totally relate to your problem! Magnesium. magnesium magnesium!! Any time you have heart burn , you cannot OD on it and your body needs it. I took Nexium, prevacid and MANY others for over 7 years. It got so they did not help at all. I read on a health blog the benifits of magnesium and immediately stopped all the rx drugs and started on plain old magnesium. The cheleated( sp) kind is recommended. I dont take as many now as I did when I first switched over but I take them whenever I get heart burn and I try to watch what I eat. ( Some foods will trigger the HB)

Make sure to rule out a serious problem if it continues :heart:

Hope this helps!
    Josie
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If this continues for long (a week or more), go see your doctor.

Acid reflux or GastroEsophogeal Reflux Disease (GERD) can lead to esophogeal cancer if left untreated. I'm not saying this to scare you into running to your doc, just trying to let you know that the annoying pain, if it continues, may be reason to see a doctor. Medication can settle the acid and the reduce the risks. Also, my GERD turned into an ulcer that perforated (think: ate a hole in the side of my stomach) because I wasn't adhering to my medication schedule, trying to just live through the mild pain. Dumb, dumb, dumb! I take my medication daily now, no ifs ands or buts.

Other things to try for temporary relief:
    Milk or dairy (some find this helps)
    Elevate yourself on pillows
    Elevate the head of your bed
    Eat smaller meals in the evenings
    Eat more times a day so your body has less to digest with each meal
    No spicy foods, no red foods (tomato sauces), no caffeine or coffee (Or decrease all of these)
    Water, water, water.

Hope you feel better!!! :flowerforyou:

Lauryn and I might be separated at birth! I am very (very very very) familiar with GERD as well, and she gives good tips.

Also avoid citrus, avoid laying down for at least 1 hour (preferably 2+ hours) after eating, and avoid bending over or lifting anything even slightly heavy after eating (so don't put the dishes in the dishwasher or take the trash out immediately after eating).

It is ALWAYS better to avoid reflux than to try to treat it after the fact with antacids and other things. The fact that you can feel it means that damage is being done. Esophageal cancer (as Lauryn mentioned) is nasty, nasty stuff.

Definitely go see your doc if it's happening even weekly, and get an upper endoscopy to see how much damage has been done and what can be done to reverse it.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new here but can totally relate to your problem! Magnesium. magnesium magnesium!! Any time you have heart burn , you cannot OD on it and your body needs it. I took Nexium, prevacid and MANY others for over 7 years. It got so they did not help at all. I read on a health blog the benifits of magnesium and immediately stopped all the rx drugs and started on plain old magnesium. The cheleated( sp) kind is recommended. I dont take as many now as I did when I first switched over but I take them whenever I get heart burn and I try to watch what I eat. ( Some foods will trigger the HB)

Make sure to rule out a serious problem if it continues :heart:

Hope this helps!
    Josie

Magnesium is good for you but I have to take issue with saying that you can't OD on something... everything has an upper tolerable limit.

It would be extremely difficult or impossible to OD on magnesium through food intake, but watch your supplements (including any vitamins/minerals added to nutrition bars, cereals, etc.). The UTL of Magnesium is 350mg daily:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp#h8
  • coronalime
    Options
    So no one thinks it coud be beause I am drinking too much water?
    I dont want to drink anything right now. Its said to take small sips throughout the day but I just cant do that in my job. I just dont understand why all of a sudden BAMM.

I took Pepcid Complete and eating TUMS like they are M&M's
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If it's continued this long, I'd say get to the doctor.
    After giving birth, I had acid reflux so badly I couldn't sleep or lay down.
    They put me on prilosec and it took care of the problem.

I doubt water has anything to do with the production of too much stomach acid.
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    if i drink too much water i get severe heart burn. i limit drinking it to when i'm thirsty (usually equates to about 1.5 litres a day, more if i go for a walk.)

people have different theories about water, but when ever i try to "force drink" i get the WORST pains. not sure why...