Lost 25 pounds eating 6,000 calories per day :)

Options
VANCOUVER, Wash. — Jeff Garmire of Vancouver hiked America’s three well-known long-distance routes — the Appalachian, Pacific Crest and Continental Divide trails — this year. He’s now a member of the elite cadre who have walked the three paths in a calendar year.

The Appalachian Trail is 2,200 miles long; the Pacific Crest Trail, 2,650 miles and the Continental Divide Trail is 3,100 miles. Total: 7,950.

Here are a few other numbers:

• He weighed 185 pounds in early February in Georgia and 160 pounds by the time he finished in New Mexico in mid-October.
• He tried to eat 6,000 calories a day.
• His base pack weighed 10 to 16 pounds depending on the season, weather and conditions. With food and water, it still weighed under 30 pounds most of the time.
• The cost of his adventure was about $10,000.

But enough with the numbers.

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/vancouver-man-hikes-nations-3-long-distance-trails-in-under-a-year/

6a2f4e0a-a936-11e6-84ea-c78f33e423a1-780x625.jpg

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Dat beard.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I wonder what he ate to get all those calories. It seems like a lot of food to tote around. The article doesn't say, just says he tried to eat 6000 calories a day.
  • discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wonder what he ate to get all those calories. It seems like a lot of food to tote around. The article doesn't say, just says he tried to eat 6000 calories a day.

I did about 100 miles on the appalachian trail and certainly never ate that much - in part because I didn't want to carry around any more than I needed, and in part because I wasn't really that hungry. I imagine that would have changed pretty quickly our of necessity if I'd stayed at it much longer.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I read an article in National Geographic many years ago about people who were trekking/working/something or other in the Arctic (it was so long ago I can't accurately remember what they were doing) and they estimated they were eating around 6,000-7,000 calories a day and losing weight. The people profiled in the article said they ate a jar of peanut butter a day, along with dried fruit and candy bars for calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

I read an article in National Geographic many years ago about people who were trekking/working/something or other in the Arctic (it was so long ago I can't accurately remember what they were doing) and they estimated they were eating around 6,000-7,000 calories a day and losing weight. The people profiled in the article said they ate a jar of peanut butter a day, along with dried fruit and candy bars for calories.

All those jars of pb would weigh a lot!
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sounds like B.S. to me.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I think I read or heard something similar. They where putting entire sticks of butter in their oatmeal just try and get calories.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't know...it could happen...I guess since it says "tried to," who knows how often he did eat 6000 calories in a day and if he was actually keeping a log of his food and weighing and measuring and so on. I'm sure he had to eat a lot of calories, anyway, just to accomplish that hike. So good on him for doing this...this is really cool.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I think I read that article too, the Will Steger expedition back in the 80's or 90's. Partially from the work and partially from the extreme cold. I grew up in Duluth, MN and he was from near that area, so got a lot of coverage.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    All I have done since reading this is tried to imagine what 6000 calories of something calorie dense like candy bars or cake looks like. That's a lot of food!