The "Been there, tried that, and failed queen"

Options
If I had to say when my battle with my weight began, I would have to say Jr. High. I was athletic and energetic, joining sports for the love of the competition and soon found that I was rhythmically talented as well after joining the dance drill team. I had struggled a bit with body image (comparing myself to the much thinner girls in school) but it wasn't until Drill Team tryouts where I was on the drama stage, with dozens of other girls who were frantically trying to memorize a routine we had only seen but maybe an hour prior and I had it down to a tee. I was so proud of myself with my high kicks and on point pirouettes that I never expected what was about to happen. Down in the seats below were a number of teachers who had been watching the tryouts and I overheard two of the male teachers talking, “I can’t believe they’re going to let all these fat girls on the team.” I’m 43 years old today and I’m not blaming my current situation on that moment in my life, but it was a moment that obviously has stuck with me and not in a good way.

I didn’t begin to “diet” until after my first child in the early 90’s. I walked 4 miles a day with my bestie and practically starved myself on “rabbit food” as I watched others scarf down whatever was in front of them. My Mother – in – law said to me one time, “I just don’t know why you’re so fat, I mean you eat like a bird!” I was 140lbs at that time, but I guess on my 5’4 frame that looked like a lot to her since I had gained 20lbs during my pregnancy. Through the years I would try the no carb diet, the no meat diet, the no fruit diet, and I would see some changes, but as soon as I waivered from the strict menu selection, I would put it all right back on. I tried the gym route and religiously would be there every morning rotating a combination of cardio and weights. After 4 consecutive months, I had only lost 10lbs and quickly became discouraged.

My friends would try to help and be encouraging by telling me I had hit a plateau or that it was my genes that were preventing me from reaching my goals, that it wasn’t my fault. I knew deep down inside that I reached for food when I was experiencing a major dark emotion and I had even “trained” myself to celebrate with food. We hit the restaurants when it was a birthday, anniversary, or anything positive to celebrate. I also knew deep in my heart that I had no limits. I never knew when enough was really enough, and I mean enough for sustainability, not explosion. I would eat till I was about to pop and that was my “dummy light” going off. Food was my friend and I had made it my bestie, celebrating with it in good times and bad, I didn’t want to part with it, it had become my security blanket.

The most shocking thing happened to me while I visited a local Dr.’s office, she led me into the room and we both took a seat. I hadn’t uttered a word as she glanced at me and said, “You need to stop eating oatmeal.” I was stunned! The first words out of a Dr.’s mouth when they first meet you are usually, “and what brings you here today?” But even more stunning than that was the fact that I had been following yet another “healthy diet” at the time and I in fact had eaten oatmeal every morning that week! I was in awe and asked her how she knew. She told me, “You’re all swollen.” WOW was all that I could think. When we finished with the visit and she started writing on her tablet. She handed me the paper and on it was a list of vitamins and the name of a book, “The Grain Brain”. I’d never been to a Dr.’s visit and been prescribed a book to read. I was intrigued.
I did in fact read the book and was astonished by the effects that food has on us physically. At least the stuff we call food anyway. To make it even more personal, one of the neurological issues that they have proven is a result of such poor living/eating, I suffer from. Had I been slowly killing my brain and choking my body to death by malnutrition?

To make a long story less long, I stumbled on a video of a man’s story he shared regarding sugar and its part in our lives today, paired with the book I had decided to eat clean. I made great strides and lost 11lbs. in just 4 short weeks. I felt amazing and I never saw the detour signs flashing warning ahead. I inadvertently dove right off the cliff, head first. A whole month later and I felt disgusting and emotionally beat down when I step on the scale and it screams at me, “You’ve put every pound back on, loser!”
So, today I am under the care of my Dr.’s who jointly agree that I am a mess and by body is screaming at me to hurry up and do something about it, so today is Day #1. I am taking the day meal by meal; so far so good. I am logging all my food items and I am always open to new friends who are looking for encouragement as well as being an encouragement. God, I need your help. Thanks for reading and have a blessed day!

Replies

• Stinkeejinx
    Stinkeejinx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your mom. That is a huge accomplishment! I don't disagree with you in the least. I think I get overwhelmed with it all. When I try and think back to "portion control" I can remember being little and a grown up making my plate, then it skips to me being a pre-teen and eating after practice or a game, feeling so famished I couldn't get enough in to satisfy the "empty" feeling I had and that's where it stayed. Eating until that "empty" feeling was replaced with, "Yep, we're full and about to explode", totally bypassing (just enough). I know I'll get there and I believe is a mind issue. I need a renewing of the mind.
  • AutumnDancer26
    AutumnDancer26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow hun, congratulations on persevering through it all and still having the determination to try again. I have struggled with my weight for years and like you, I've tried everything out there, all the little tips and tricks. The cardio, weight training, eating clean, eating nothing at all and everything in between. What people don't realize is that weight loss isn't mostly physical, it's the mental part that's the real challenge. I joined MFP (today actually) for very similar reasons, and hopefully I can finally gain some control and make something stick for once. I'd be happy to give motivation and be a part of your process, if you ever need help. Good luck to you!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    OP

You can do this, take one day at a time, really focus, log everything and keep honest, if you have a bad day don't let it turn into a bad week then a bad month etc, one day at a time. Good luck
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've failed over and over too. I'm starting again today in hopes that this will be the time I don't fail.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Before I share anything about me, please keep in mind that everybody's process here is different. As a result, mine will not translate to you perfectly, simply because it can't.

I started back in Sept of this year, and I logged *everything* to the best of my ability. Seriously, I didn't even drink zero calorie drinks when I got started. It really helped me to see how much I was overeating. Over the next couple months, I learned what restricted eating looked like (and felt like).

I eat much less now. My body has gotten mostly used to it. I still have some hunger here and there, but it's at a manageable level. I don't log everything anymore because trying to do so feels like an insurmountable task. Instead, I just accept that I have to monitor to the best of my ability.

It's still working for me, though. I'm still losing the weight, and I'm still eating the foods I actually want to eat.

Please feel free to add me, if you wish. I do try to read all the status updates, and comment where I can. Together, we can lose the weight of mountains :)
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ((Hugs!!))

I have also battled since my youth - and I lost the battle for YEARS - because dieting does not work. The mind set of "I am going to do this for a little while, get to my goal weight and then go back to eating "normally" killed every attempt I ever made.... because what was "normal" for me was to eat enough food to maintain a 300+ pound body. I might lose some pounds - but they came right back. Besides, I am not built for deprivation. Call me spoiled.

It was only once I accepted the fact that I had to learn a new "normal" - that I had to actually adopt a new eating pattern for the rest of my life - that I had any lasting success.

I eat everything that I want... in moderation. I love tacos, and pizza, and the idea of a life without them is unacceptable to me... however, using MFP, I am able to eat them in small doses on occasion. I make sure to get my exercise in, because then I can eat MORE of the things that I love. Besides, it makes me feel strong - which is a heady feeling.

I just know that this is for the rest of my life - and for the quality of my life. Whenever the urge to try some new, crazy scheme comes along, I just ask myself... Is this something I can/will do for the rest of my life?

If the answer is yes - I roll with it. If the answer is NO, then I don't.

MFP is helping me learn what "normal" is for the body size I want - not the body size I have now.

Good Luck!!