Need advice for 5K

Options
I need some serious advice. I've been training to walk / jog my very first 5K for 13 weeks. The 5K is this Saturday. I became ill on Monday around noon with severe body aches, deep chest congestion, coughing, high fever (103.5) and chills. It totally wiped me out for about 24 hours. Didn't drink much, only slept every chance I got. Now my concern is this race. I'm still pretty weak & have been trying to swallow my calories for the past 2 days but am barely reaching 600-800 calories. I did go walking tonight & walked 3.1 miles very briskly (between 4.0 and 4.5 miles per hour) and had a hard time getting deep breaths in but did well otherwise. I got a little more fatigued than usual and the last 1/2 a lap (about .25 mile) I jogged. That's when I started feeling overly weak and a little lightheaded, very hard to catch my breath.

So here's my question. Do I try running this race on Saturday or do I just walk it (which I really don't want to do)? What can I do right now to make myself in the best condition possible for this race? I've drank a lot more water today trying to overcome the dehydration. Any advice is appreciated.

God bless,
Tammy

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Rest, you've trained long enough... ensure that you have plenty of rest and eat well. Make sure you keep hydrated too...

See how you feel on Saturday before/during the race. If you're still feeling weak walk it or don't race at all if you're feeling stronger try to jog at least some parts.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    That sounds miserable, get well soon!

Is your heart set on THIS race? Can you try another one in an upcoming week? I know they have races around here all the time. Nearly every weekend there is one within a reasonable driving distance.

If it was me, I don't think I'd do the race at all. I can see why you'd WANT to, since you've been working so hard for so long, but if you're still THAT sick, it worries me a bit. Do you have to decide now? You still have to more days to rest, rehydrate, try to eat, etc...can you re-evaluate Friday evening? Or Saturday morning?

I wouldn't try to push it too much, you've worked way too hard to throw it away on a less than ideal race situation.

Oh--get well soon!!
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to recover. Don't run till race day. Drink plenty of water between now and then. Since you were sick your body was fighting. so you may want to ease up on the calorie restriction for the next two day so that your body can heal.

I agree that if you don't feel up to it on the morning of...5k are a dime a dozen. THe excitement of doing it might just be enough to get you through it!

Good Luck and have a great run!
  • Runshanrun
    Runshanrun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy! I'm sorry to hear you have been ill; I hope you feel your best soon.
    I run quite a bit and I believe you should decide what to do the morning of the race. Worrying about your race now will not do you any good, it will just make your goal seem impossible. If I were you I would start the race at an easy jog...resist trying to go fast at all. Then base your performance on how you feel right then....if you end up needing to walk a little bit that's OK! Taking a short walk break will not be a failure, every runner I have ever "competed" with has had to walk a bit of a race at some time!
    Your best bet to feel 100% on Saturday is to eat all of your calories for the next two days, your body needs every calorie to replenish what you have lost. I would also go easy on your training the next two days-no more three miles runs before the race!! Short walks are ok but resist anything more. Believe in your trainng up until now-YOU CAN DO IT!!
    Good Luck - Tells us about your sucess after the race too. :flowerforyou:
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just as a FYI, I'm feeling much better. Still weak but no longer with fever / chills, etc. Congestion is still there, though.
  • BarryAThornton
    Options
    Hi Tammy,

I will be running my 12th 5K this weekend. One question, are you already preregistered and have put the money into it? If so and you do it, and plan to do more of them, just look at it like even if you don't have the best run on Saturday, next year you will beat it. That was basically my approach. I first started running them in March and then my son began with me in April, he is 10 now. We look forward to them every week. I find continuing to run them weekly makes me keep myself honest at the table too because if I look at a piece of food that I know isn't good for me, I remember how bad I will feel during a run in 90 degree heat if I add even 1 extra pound.

As others pointed out, forget any additional training, you have that part over now. Be sure and rest good TONIGHT! Believe it or not this is your most important rest night because the night immediately preceding the race, you just won't sleep good anyway. Excitement will be in the way of good sleep. You will probably wakeup multiple times not wanting to oversleep, you will be filled with anticipation of how you will do, etc.

Once you get in the race you will do great, your adrenalin being around likely 150 plus other runners will carry you thru. If you end up having to walk a couple of times during the race..... So what! Just to finish is an AWESOME feeling even on the worse race. And always look at each race even a great one, as one you intend to do even better at the next year.

Good luck with your race! Drink, drink, drink, rest, rest, rest........... and Race!