edited November 2016
    Options
    There's also a 86 year old gymnast Johanna quaas
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You're welcome Grey_1.

ETA: My mum's brother is now 65; Started lifting at 17. He is still competing in Drug Free Powerlifting competitions here in the US, UK and Australia. Was undefeated for a long time - US Air Force bodybuilding and Powerlifting competitions. Even today, he outlifts and out runs many're younger competitors.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about Johanna Quaas either, obviously lol. Thanks everyone for the kind support, and the videos. That really does change everything. :):)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Fantastic update Grey_1 :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing that changes as you get "older" is you have to make sure you listen to your body. I mean, you really should even when you're younger, but it becomes more important once you get over a certain age. And rest days become more important. When I was in my 20's, I could push myself really hard one day and would recover in 24 hrs, now in my forties if I push myself too hard it takes longer to recover! But I think it's clear from all the examples in this thread, it is certainly possible to get stronger, to get faster, and to improve your fitness and physique no matter what your age :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    I was just telling my wife what an incredible wealth of information this forum is. Yes, loving the tech myself right now lol. :)
  • Grey_1
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I love that mindset. I'm still around 30 where it counts. Time enough for "old" much later.

It did get to me that I let that crap get into my head and psych me out for a bit. Not again.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I'm very aware things change over the years, like the time it takes for my muscles to recover, my bald spot getting larger lol, but here's the deal.

I'm 57, and do not consider that "Old" at all. I feel 10 years younger. My primary goal for fitness is flexibility, endurance and overall strength, but here's the problem - everyone around me insists on reminding me of my age. As if I'm brittle or something. SHUT UP! lol :smiley: I know they probably mean well, but come on - I've gone from 2 chin ups to 10 pretty easily, and from wheezing after 10 body weight squats to being able to do single leg squats.

I have this fantasy about being able to do some type of beginners calisthenics soon, like muscleups and such. But damn it, those voices got into my head and now I'm questioning if they're right or not, and I hate that. I feel great and more fit than I have for years.

I guess I (as another member put it) got the feelz lol. They're pissing me off and I need someone to tell me I got this.

People - ugh

rant over lol - thanks for reading :/

57 is not old. Do people just want to make conversation and they're reachiing for something to say? Instead of saying "shut up" to the old comments, here's a good comeback: "yeah yeah yeah, yadda yadda yadda."

I'm over 50 and despise age-limiting comments. I went back to college and have heard them all and have even had the college library staff try to chase me out ("the library is only for current students.")

Nobody leaves the planet alive. Be happy and do whatever the flip you want while you're here.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Thanks PennWalker - I just finished getting some certs reinstated myself. Most of the students around were 20 or so, so yeah, I got the looks lol.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I love that mindset. I'm still around 30 where it counts. Time enough for "old" much later.

I fully intend to stay at 25 for as long as possible... ;)

Here's some of my favourite quotes for you. :) (Yes, one does mention growing "old", but I think it really ought to say "oldER"... ;) )

hk4dwpqaar4n.jpg

imyn3dzqk7r5.jpg

q73ii8pcry1a.jpg

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I want to retract or at least modify my post. I think age isn't as meaningful an indicator of how careful you need to be as your injury history is. If you've been injury free, I say go ahead and get aggressive.