Feeling the cold

Options
2»

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,380 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the hot side & still am but I am craving hot food in the evenings & have an appetite since it's colder so I keep a pot of chicken soup on hand & save calories to have hot oatmeal with fruit in it in the evenings
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can make (or buy) a rice pack that you can heat up in the microwave. I made one for my mom and she loves to sit on it to keep warm. Also good for when you have a sore muscle.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds and have been freeeeezing. Anytime I mention it my husband looks at me funny and tells me it's not cold. I still have 80+ pounds to go though! I didn't expect to feel cold when I was still really fat lol
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds and have been freeeeezing. Anytime I mention it my husband looks at me funny and tells me it's not cold. I still have 80+ pounds to go though! I didn't expect to feel cold when I was still really fat lol

At least now you can tell your husband that you're not that unusual - it seems as though many of us suffer!

As it happens, I've been ok today. It's a bit milder here (in England) than recently, and I had a bowl of Dhal at the point of the day when I often hit low ebb with my temperature perception.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely more sensitive to the cold after my weight loss...and my workplace is as cold as a meat locker, so I layer up.

Also, after I lost weight I developed Raynauds syndrome. There is some circumstantial evidence to suggest that weight loss could trigger this, but no actual studies done. It's annoying, but not the end of the world.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hehe, getting thinner always makes me cold. Putting on weight always makes me overheat though so I can never win!

I say focus on warming meals like porridge, curries, soups... yum. And hot coffee or chocolate!
    Also just remember to wrap up warm. My mum uses wheat bags that you microwave to keep warm- she even has some shaped like slippers that you can wear on your feet!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If I start to feel unreasonably cold it's always because I'm not eating enough fat and/or calories. Upping one or both fixes it and I'm back to normal.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's brutal, right. Thank goodness for puffy coats and seat heaters. I just went to Target to get some warmer pants and gloves for my early morning runs.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Shivering burns calories tho right :).

How do I log it?

I kid, I kid.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always say I've lost my layer of protective blubber. Whales, seals, and other cold living mammals keep a nice thick layer of fat to keep them insulated through the harsh climate. Apparently I did too! Now it's going, I really feel the cold. On the flip though, it's nice not to overheat like crazy in summer.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Shivering burns calories tho right :).

How do I log it?

I kid, I kid.

Ha! That's right! So, I can have that extra piece of pie, right?
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Darn. I'm always cold: at 34 pounds overweight, now at maintenance, before and after change of life (hot flashes: not what I was hoping for...!). As soon at the temperature hits below 50 degrees, my body goes into complaint-mode. I think, sometimes, insulation is a moot point.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of these posts, but I have been wondering about the cold feeling as well. I have been soooo cold since the temp has dropped, to the point that some nights I have to wear my big fluffy robe to bed!

My question is, is it from losing weight (I've lost 16 lbs, have about 14 to go), or is it that I'm still eating at a deficit? Is it better once you begin eating at maintenance?
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    Wool finger-less gloves. Wear them almost 24/7 nowadays.
    https://www.rei.com/product/696508/fox-river-fingerless-ragg-gloves?CAWELAID=120217890000752954&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15886226080&CATCI=pla-267575535025&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_24652|6965080010|none|8562d7f1-a39f-4a01-82dd-ae27ec3eddf6|pla-267575535025&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_24652|6965080010|none|8562d7f1-a39f-4a01-82dd-ae27ec3eddf6|pla-267575535025&gclid=CNrGg_O2qdACFQkPaQodUUEMtg
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of these posts, but I have been wondering about the cold feeling as well. I have been soooo cold since the temp has dropped, to the point that some nights I have to wear my big fluffy robe to bed!

My question is, is it from losing weight (I've lost 16 lbs, have about 14 to go), or is it that I'm still eating at a deficit? Is it better once you begin eating at maintenance?

At a guess, and judging from my temperature perception when I used to be a decent weight, I think that my sort of coldness, which seems related to low intake and ameliorates when I eat, will go away at maintenance.

The more steady state coldness might be more about insulation and so could continue to be a problem at maintenance.

I was also wondering whether I have any vitamin or mineral deficiencies due to my lowered food intake, which might contribute to this, and am thinking of taking a daily A-Z multivitamin tablet.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym at the end of my days I use the sauna after my workout so at least once during the day I can be warm to the core lol I also use a space heater near my desk and wear layers.