Do I need a reality check?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to allow someone else's senses of entitlement over my life affect me. At 21, I was given the "psych out " one liners ... " You're old!" " You're not a teen anymore!" " Your competition was birthed yesterday" ... My response was and always will be a mental 2 finger salute, accompanied by a simple, "You do you, let me do me!"

ETA: Their responses to me was always the same, "You're too American!" [Oft times aggressors are women with their token male hangers on] .... Uhmmm WHATEVER!!

My current inspiration: Wendy Ida@64

https://youtu.be/59HIT97vvfM
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, but I certainly don't feel it. I'm not the same person that I was when I was 30 or even 40. Your fitness goals will change just as you grow and evolve personally, spiritually, and professionally. It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks. What is important is what works for you. I applaud people who can do triathalons. Great. Just not for me. Pick what you want and stick with it, and the less said about fitness and food is sometimes the best thing. So called "friends" can sabotage your best efforts.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    n1terunner wrote: »
    Older naysayers are just upset you're not using the same excuse they are to let themselves go, and younger ones feel threatened. :) I got passed by a much older guy in my first 5k. That's when I realized this doesn't end, find happiness in keeping yourself tuned - be that guy!

My wife and I were hiking a fairly steep trail in New Hampshire, and a "young" lady, maybe 70ish, just breezed right past us smiling. I forgot all about her til I read your post. :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I love that mindset. I'm still around 30 where it counts. Time enough for "old" much later.

I fully intend to stay at 25 for as long as possible... ;)

Here's some of my favourite quotes for you. :) (Yes, one does mention growing "old", but I think it really ought to say "oldER"... ;) )

hk4dwpqaar4n.jpg

imyn3dzqk7r5.jpg

q73ii8pcry1a.jpg

I'm quoting all these quotes because I love em, thanks! :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    I want to retract or at least modify my post. I think age isn't as meaningful an indicator of how careful you need to be as your injury history is. If you've been injury free, I say go ahead and get aggressive.

I've added some exercises to the routine - a little painful, but so worth it!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As long as you are aware of your limits then ignore anyone telling you what you can/can't or should/shouldn't do.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    As long as you are aware of your limits then ignore anyone telling you what you can/can't or should/shouldn't do.

Working on that. Like I said earlier, I'm a little peeved at myself that I let it get into my head to begin with. Airing it out here has helped a lot though :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Unlimited youth the iron nun look it up. I met her a few years back. She Is amazing. She 86 and still doing ironman
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    @Grey_1, check out the documentary "Jones Beach Boys"...the lifeguards at Jones Beach range in age from 17 to 80...YES! Eighty. Great piece of film...
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Grey_1, my husband (62) and I (52) have the "Growing Old is not for Sissies" posters in our home gym featuring Marie Wilcox Little and John Turner. (Google them, I can't get the links to work. You'll find them on northernsun.com.) He was about 67 and she was 73 when those photos were taken.

For what it's worth, I spent this summer doing sprint triathlons (did my first one on my 52nd birthday); now I'm training for Olympic length tris next season, and my son and I are training for a half marathon in April. And I've got chronic lung disease, for cryin' out loud. Tell your wife it absolutely can be done.

Old is just a number. The people who are giving you *kitten* about it are the ones who can't keep up with you. You go on with your bad self.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips folks! I'll look all of them up after work today. Much appreciated!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    57 is absolutely not 'old'; I hate when people talk like anything 30+ years of age is old. I know 60 year olds with more energy than me. And I know 70+ year olds with a plenty of energy, too! People are using that as an excuse for their own selves! What is 'old'? Don't let misinformed ideas skew your own life. You do you, whatever that is.

I also don't like the picture posted earlier with the very fit older woman and the older woman gazing out of the window - I don't understand the point? Is ageing only cool if you have a six pack? I don't understand why we're trying to portray 'good ageing' in any certain way. Everyone is entitled to do what pleases them at any age.

Way to go looking after yourself!
  • koral4reef
    koral4reef Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and play in a women's hockey league on Sundays there are 2 women over 65. My dad played soccer with my son and his team last week, he's 67. Dont listen to people, especially young people, they haven't learned much yet, lol.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I also don't like the picture posted earlier with the very fit older woman and the older woman gazing out of the window - I don't understand the point? Is ageing only cool if you have a six pack? I don't understand why we're trying to portray 'good ageing' in any certain way. Everyone is entitled to do what pleases them at any age.

I know what you mean, but I think what the picture is getting at is that you don't have to resign yourself to becoming feeble and decrepit as you get older. There are definitely plenty of ways to age well, and bodybuilding is just one of them for those that like the idea. :) Staying mentally active is just as important as physical activity of some kind, too... and just because the other woman in that photo 'looks' older it doesn't mean she's not healthy and active in her own way.

But yes; the overall message of this whole thread, I think, is that age is just a number and it shouldn't stop you from trying whatever you want to do... perhaps especially if someone else tells you you're too old to do it! :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    57 is absolutely not 'old'; I hate when people talk like anything 30+ years of age is old. I know 60 year olds with more energy than me. And I know 70+ year olds with a plenty of energy, too! People are using that as an excuse for their own selves! What is 'old'? Don't let misinformed ideas skew your own life. You do you, whatever that is.

Way to go looking after yourself!

I love that, thank you :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    koral4reef wrote: »
    I'm 37 and play in a women's hockey league on Sundays there are 2 women over 65. My dad played soccer with my son and his team last week, he's 67. Dont listen to people, especially young people, they haven't learned much yet, lol.

LoL, that got me smiling - thanks!
  • Grey_1
    Options
    @Grey_1 57 is not old. And certainly not too old to aim for and reach a fitness goal. It may just take a little longer.

At school I was the girl with a bandage at the bottom of her bag (got wrapped around various injuries weekly) and a note from her 'mum' so she could skip PE.

This meant I hadn't exercised at all between the ages of 11 and 54.
    At 54 I got a yearly pass at the local rec centre and haven't looked back.

I have gone from doing nothing to trying everything. I don't love working out, I love the benefits.

I have never had anyone say I was too old- I think people are too amazed that I have wandered from my comfy chair.

I have never thought I was too old to try anything either. It does take a little longer to recover. I started heavy lifting and found I had to drop my 'off day' body shaping, Pilates, and Zumba classes,substituting them with a 30 min walk or swim, otherwise my weekends were shot.

I am lucky- no medical problems and no injuries from exercise.

Me at 62-63yo. Nowhere near the magnificent women above, just a regular woman keeping a decent fitness level (and doing the longest recomp in history).

g9kmjy2n1yxo.jpeg

Cheers, h.

I love your outlook and attitude h. Thanks for sharing :)

It's eye opening, reading back through this thread, that the commonality seems to be "attitude encouragement", for lack of a better term....you folks are all spot on.

I always "say" I'm still in my 30s where it counts, but I don't think I've really believed it/acted like it. Major wow moment for me.

<3 you good folks :)
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I'm 55 and have had my fair share of strains and sprains over the last 10 years. My joints and tendons can't keep up to my muscles and lungs/heart. I try to ease into things. C25K for instance.

I've been reminded of that too lol. We can still do it though...

Look, this joints and tendons thing - I am 32, and I have that too (very hypermobile). So I'd say that doesn't necessarily have to do anything with age. Listen to your body and not to other people- you got this!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Don't let the voices get to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWePnHeniM