Any military people?

Options
adorkable244
adorkable244 Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2016 in Introduce Yourself
So I'm new, my name is Elizabeth and I'm needing to lose about 40 pounds to join the military. Which is what I want more than anything and I will be absolutely crushed if I can't follow my dreams all because I was unable to lose the weight. I currently weigh 178 and I need to lose this weight in about 6 months or less, So If their is anyone military or not who's willing to give me advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Anyone can send me a friend request if they would like. Have a wonderful day! ( or night)

Replies

• mikeford11
    mikeford11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, and don't give up. Follow your goals and do your best to follow them. Be sure going into the military is what you want, it's not easy.
  • adorkable244
    Options
    mikeford11 wrote: »
    Yes, and don't give up. Follow your goals and do your best to follow them. Be sure going into the military is what you want, it's not easy.
    Yes sir I'm sure, I know it's not easy I've had and have family in the military and I know this is what I want, I as of the moment am not prepared that's why I'm here for advice and motivation so I can be ready and help not only defend our country but save lives.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi, Elizabeth! My SO is in the Army, so I know a bit about what the fitness there is like. I think that losing weight for the military is probably like losing weight for many other reasons--it takes determination and hard work. Track your calories, weight your food, do all that good stuff.

One thing that is different, however, is that you will need to be especially careful not to lose muscle. Make sure that you are eating enough protein and doing lifting, not just cardio. Have you been practicing for the PT test? How are your stats for that?
  • adorkable244
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    I'm retired from the USAF and the last 4 years of my career I struggled. I was always within standards (maxed pushups, maxed crunches, run was a bit slow) but was not happy that the extra 2 inches I carried on my waist impacted my fitness scores. Sad...I was an officer...often in command positions but was made to feel somewhat unworthy because my fitness score was not "excellent".

I am part of the Low Carb group on this site. If that is something that appeals to you, please come join us. Each branch of the military has their own dieticians as a resource but all (in my experience) promote the SAD (standard American Diet) which has been proven to be counterproductive to both weight loss and overall health.

It would be interesting if you could specify which branch you are considering and what your career aspirations are...that would help others give you insight that is most applicable to your situation.

Thank you for you intentions to serve. As a retiree, I have the utmost respect for those willing to volunteer their time to serving their country and the American people.

Dawn L. Werner, Lt Col (ret), USAF, BSC

Yes sir, thank you for your service. Also I'm set on the army considering I've been going to once a week workouts with them. Also I joind the low carb group I just haven't had much time to explore it, and I found out today how hard it was to keep my carbs low, I failed miserably.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Websites that I find helpful are www.dietdoctor.com and especially www.intensivedietarymanagement.com
  • adorkable244
    Options
    Hi, Elizabeth! My SO is in the Army, so I know a bit about what the fitness there is like. I think that losing weight for the military is probably like losing weight for many other reasons--it takes determination and hard work. Track your calories, weight your food, do all that good stuff.

One thing that is different, however, is that you will need to be especially careful not to lose muscle. Make sure that you are eating enough protein and doing lifting, not just cardio. Have you been practicing for the PT test? How are your stats for that?

Well I thank your SO for serving ma'am, I already track my calories and all I just have horrible decisions on food that I regret later on. Also I really haven't been practicing for my PT test, I've mainly been trying to get my two mile time, so thank you for that thought I'll get right on it and add that to my workouts.
  • adorkable244
    Options
    Websites that I find helpful are www.dietdoctor.com and especially www.intensivedietarymanagement.com

Thank you! I'll check those out tomorrow morning.
  • idocdlw
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm retired from the USAF and the last 4 years of my career I struggled. I was always within standards (maxed pushups, maxed crunches, run was a bit slow) but was not happy that the extra 2 inches I carried on my waist impacted my fitness scores. Sad...I was an officer...often in command positions but was made to feel somewhat unworthy because my fitness score was not "excellent".

I am part of the Low Carb group on this site. If that is something that appeals to you, please come join us. Each branch of the military has their own dieticians as a resource but all (in my experience) promote the SAD (standard American Diet) which has been proven to be counterproductive to both weight loss and overall health.

It would be interesting if you could specify which branch you are considering and what your career aspirations are...that would help others give you insight that is most applicable to your situation.

Thank you for you intentions to serve. As a retiree, I have the utmost respect for those willing to volunteer their time to serving their country and the American people.

Yes sir, thank you for your service. Also I'm set on the army considering I've been going to once a week workouts with them. Also I joind the low carb group I just haven't had much time to explore it, and I found out today how hard it was to keep my carbs low, I failed miserably.

Hey Elizabeth...it's "yes ma'am" not "yes sir". No worries...Dawn gets translated to Don very often. I am so happy that you are already doing workouts with them...gives you realistic expectations. I have an older sister who is an Army retiree (radiologist) and another who is still active duty (ER doc/sports medicine doc/toxicologist/bodybuilder) but neither is a member of this website.

It can be a shock when you realize the amount of carbs you ingest. I always thought I was doing pretty well because I wasn't a big potato/rice/bread fan. My weaknesses were tortillas (love quesadillas), blue corn chips (love nachos), refried beans & Wheat Thins when I thought cheese absolutely had to go on a cracker. And fruit...I el o vee ee love fruit. Adjustments take time but are very doable. There is nothing that I miss at this point other than the pounds.

An additional note...don't expect an email from the low carb group...just check back each day. When you approved, you will have access, but the only way to know that is to check. I learned that the hard way.

Dawn
  • idocdlw
    Options
    One more really good site... www.burnfatnotsugar.com
  • adorkable244
    Options

Hey Elizabeth...it's "yes ma'am" not "yes sir". No worries...Dawn gets translated to Don very often. I am so happy that you are already doing workouts with them...gives you realistic expectations. I have an older sister who is an Army retiree (radiologist) and another who is still active duty (ER doc/sports medicine doc/toxicologist/bodybuilder) but neither is a member of this website.

It can be a shock when you realize the amount of carbs you ingest. I always thought I was doing pretty well because I wasn't a big potato/rice/bread fan. My weaknesses were tortillas (love quesadillas), blue corn chips (love nachos), refried beans & Wheat Thins when I thought cheese absolutely had to go on a cracker. And fruit...I el o vee ee love fruit. Adjustments take time but are very doable. There is nothing that I miss at this point other than the pounds.

An additional note...don't expect an email from the low carb group...just check back each day. When you approved, you will have access, but the only way to know that is to check. I learned that the hard way.

Dawn

Very sorry ma'am, also I understand nachos are my favorite food haha and I'm actually large into sandwiches and stuff although I finally cut out pasta. Now to cut back on the bread and find the motivation to work out when it's just me.
  • IronMike0213
    IronMike0213 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! First off, thank you for your desire to serve our country. I'm biased, but it's the best job/career in the world. I was in the Army for 7 years before I was medically retired. Here are some things I learned way too late (and the hard way):

1. Everyone has "good" advice, but use good discernment. If someone says "try insanity, it works!" then that's great and give it an honest try. If it doesn't work for you then that doesn't necessarily mean that you are the problem. I tried regular Army pt, p90x, insanity, tapout xt 1&2, fit deck, t25, crossfit, and many many more. Not everything will yield you the results you're after. You might have to take bits and pieces from multiple programs and find what works for you.

2. Listen to you body! If something hurts, or doesn't feel right then stop. You will do more long-term harm trying to push through real pain. That can be confusing, because there are times when you will have to push past what you think is your limit. Pushing past your perceived limits WILL get you to the next level. I'm referring to exercising on an injured ankle or something. Doing harm to your body will put you ob the shelf longer than just getting checked out and being on a brief profile. ** Additionally, there's nothing wrong with getting checked out. People will tell you that you are weak, but take it from me, if it's not documented then it doesn't exist by military standards!

3. Take time to stretch. A lot of disk workouts come with a warm up, but it might not be enough...especially if you're in the early stages of creating a workout regimen. Check out YouTube for some great stretches for before and after a workout. Something else to note is that on days when you "don't have time to work out" or you've planned a rest day, those are good times to do a 30 min. stretch.

4. Hydrate and eat healthy. First off, a great way to cut sugar and calories is to stop drinking them. Cut sodas! Water will be your best friend in the Army. Developed a love for it. Make sure you maximize each workout by making sure you are properly hydrating before, during and after (mainly before and after because you won't be able to truly hydrate during a workout). If you have access, go speak to a nutritionist or dietician. They're great at helping you set specific goals that are catered to you, as well as great general nutrition information. Most Army posts have a Wellness Center. You must have a military or dependant ID card to utilize them, but they are the best by far!

I'm sure you're going to get other really great advice so I'll end my rantings there. I really hope this helps you on your journey. Everything I've said comes from personally experience, not fluff or 3rd party.
  • Ipedalforpleasure
    Ipedalforpleasure Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello...I'm retired Air Force, 25 years. Developed medical conditions a year before I retired and put on lots of weight from the medications. Cycling, running, lifting and a 1200 calorie diet helped me drop 75 pounds and I feel great and I'm down to just allergy meds and thyroid meds.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your desire to serve. There is no higher calling than in service of your fellow man.

Regardless of any past or future accomplishments my service in the US Navy will always be my greatest and most rewarding.

No matter what branch you are entering in a community where your physical fitness will not only get you points toward advancement, but is critical to your performance and social standing. Never settle for passing and always strive to be better - you will go far.

I cannot top the advice from @IronMike0213, but will humbly add to it.

1. Here is a link to the Naval Special Warfare Physical Training Guide - don't be intimidated and just scale this down to your needs:
    http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-swcc-naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.html

2. Develop a great sense of humor. Much of the military is a mind game and you really have to look outside yourself and laugh - do this and you'll breeze through.

3. Find the no BS guy at your recruitment office and befriend them. Boot camp involves breaking you down to build you back up - the more mentally prepared you are for this the better you will do.

4. Identify the MOS you want and ensure you are guaranteed this in writing. Look beyond the next few years and think of where you want to be 20 years from now.

5. Maximize you education benefits - GI Bill, College Fund, etc. I rode through grad school without paying a dime thanks to these programs.

6. Break barriers - in my last detail I pushed through two divisions of female boots which I held to the male physical readiness standards. Not only did everyone pass, but several passed with outstanding marks. All of these amazing women went on to break barriers and crush it in their careers.

I look forward to hearing of your enlistment and your future successes. Bravo Zulu!
  • JDBoGray
    JDBoGray Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, wish more people would join. USMC took me 30lbs over which they snatched in boot camp lol. C25K app is good for new runners or returning. Sets you up for a 3 mile pace over 90days and it's a free app as well.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! The military was a great experience. After reading the posts from ironmike and csardiver, there is really nothing else to add.

Just remember that when you think something is hard, the human spirit can push you beyond everything you thought possible!
  • IronMike0213
    IronMike0213 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of really great advice thrown at you (and probably more to come). Just know that if you work hard for it you WILL achieve it. Make every workout, every bead of sweat, and every early morning alarm count as if your entrance depends on it. Do it in spite of how you "feel". Do it in spite of the naysayers. Do it for yourself and you will accomplish your goals!
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Alright adorkable, how did your Friday go?