How can l loose weight with 2 kids??

Options
Right now my weight is 182 and l have two daughters?? How can l do some exercise from my house??

Replies

• EdieEd
    EdieEd Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9k6Z3B9ywXmwKh-zpBwfw

check her out. she's amazing. something for everyone. I have two little kids and managed to lose weight, so you can too!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You needn't overextend yourself, to lose excess weight. Assuming you've punched in your numbers, using the myfitnesspal estimates, eating within that recommended range will steadily help you reach your goals. Calculating a higher deficit isn't necessary for it has already been done for you@MFP calculations.

Good luck and continue to spend quality time with your 2 daughters. Exercising to attain weight loss isn't a necessity; Working out is about fitness & health.

ETA: You may consider setting your activity level to "Lightly active."
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com
    It's about committing yourself. Don't be looking for excuses.

love this answer! exactly what I was thinking!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids?

Depending on their ages you can exercise when they nap or while they play by themselves. It is good for kids to learn that their mothers are separate people with needs/interests other than childraising.

But yeah, you really only need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Chase them around and eat healthier.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com
    It's about committing yourself. Don't be looking for excuses.

All of this.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WOW.... some of these comments in here. SMH.... Sometimes people just want to exercise to feel good. Calorie deficit has not a thing to do with getting in some exercise time for health and sanity. I have not seen "excuses" mentioned, or any complaint. JUST a simple question asking for advice in exercising from home. It is these types of assuming and judgmental responses that drive people away from these forums. Does anyone think before posting an answer? I assume not. That being said......

How old are your kids? I also have 2 daughters and I got sick of people telling me to turn on the radio and "dance my booty off" with my kids..... who were too busy trying to run under my legs and knock me down, or running circles around me, or just not wanting the whole situation so they sat and cried, or needed a diaper change in the middle of the exercise, etc.... Exercise with my kids never ever worked when they were small. I had to get in small segments of a work out. 10 minutes here and there until I managed to accumulate a work out. Not all kids and homes and situations are alike though. If you have a good place to walk and you have a stroller, go for a walk with the kids in the stroller, or put the kids down for a nap and instead of catching up on house work or what ever else get in a work out, try waking up earlier to get in a little workout time. These are all ways I managed. Now they are ages 7 and 9 and we can do more together so it's not as much of a struggle. Another idea, do you have a trusted neighbor or even older kid in the family or neighborhood who would want to earn a little cash for watching your kids while you work out? Just ideas here. I hope you find a solution. I know how frustrating it is.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I'm on the other end of this. My kids are 18 & 22, but when they were infants, they were in their playpen or bouncy seat (those still legal??) while my wife and I exercised. And, during the warm weather we wore out a couple jogging strollers, and the kids loved it. We both gained a bit of weight thru that time, but it was due to what we were eating, not the lack of exercise. The more you do it, the more your kids become accustomed to occupy themselves while you're exercising. Is it going to be a GUARANTEED 60 minutes of peace for you? Absolutely not, but take the small wins and train your kids. Believe me, as they get older, it gets easier and better. And the grand win is that you instill in them the importance of exercise. Both my kids know how to work out and fit it in to their busy schedules. A gift we gave to them and they will hopefully pass along to their kids in the future.

Now, to the post above, even though the OP didn't ask about losing weight, the weight was in the original post. I assumed that due to weight being mentioned, that the intention of the exercise was to lose weight. If that is the intention, you lose weight in the kitchen (ie: calorie deficit) and you exercise for health. You need not exercise to lose weight, and there is no guarantee that if you do exercise that you will lose weight. A good exercise plan with a calorie deficit will help greatly in health and weight loss. Good Luck OP!

Yes it was mentioned in the Title, but the question was specifically how to exercise from home. The idea that exercise does not aid in weight loss is ridiculous to me. People preach it, but I don't buy it. You do burn energy when you exercise. For some people trying to maintain a calorie deficit with no exercise has them eating so little that they can't maintain diet alone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Right now my weight is 182 and l have two daughters?? How can l do some exercise from my house??

Mine are 19 & 21 and I miss the days of going to the park and running around like a lunatic when they were little. A lot depends on their ages. Are they old enough to head out to the yard to kick a soccer ball around? Go for walks together? Are they young enough that a jogging stroller would work?

The best part about little kids is that they don't mid playing outside when it's cold or it's raining as long as they're bundled up which means you can be active all year 'round too.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Simply eat less food.. You can manipulate weight gain into weight loss simply by changing your total daily calories. Cardio and weight lifting aren't nescessary to lose fat. They just can help you create a deficit that isn't through diet alone.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    That being said. Buy an elliptical and do that for 30-60 minutes a day
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It can be really, really hard to watch your eating when you are exhausted all of the time, and having two kids--especially two little kids--can be exhausting.

Being mindful about what you are eating can make it easier to eat regularly, avoid cravings, and eat less. MFP can help you do that, if you use it religiously.

Adding some exercise also makes a big difference, as you obviously know. There are lots of exercises you can do at home: situps, pushups, squats, leg lifts, jumping jacks, lunges, planks, etc. Yoga is also great and there are tons of videos online. An elliptical machine or treadmill are also good options. Or get a Burley and trailer your kids around town behind your bicycle. Whatever you do, take it slow and don't expect too much from your body at first. :smiley:
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information. I have two girls too, 4 and 2 at the moment. I log everything I eat and do not keep chip or other things in the house. I will eat a lot of things I make for the girls just smaller quantities. Also, I will do workouts videos. I have 2lbs weights for me and 1lb weights for my girls. They pretend to do it with me and I get my work out in. Or I will do it after I put them down or before I know they will wake up depending on my day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    1. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. This is also a great time to teach your daughters about normal portion sizes and healthier options by just being an example.
    2. you can do all manner of exercises from home. Videos, the internet, just walking in place and moving your arms around. Lots of choices.
    3. Your kids need exercise, too. Go out and get some together!
    A calorie deficit is all you need. No magic.

This x1000000