only eating between 5am-5pm?

Options
Who does this? I am trying to stop eating 3 hours before bed.

Replies

• beautifullymade2016
    Options
    I am weighing myself today and testing this out for 3 weeks :). Lets see if I can drop some heart stopping lard from this beautiful child of God lol. :p
  • beautifullymade2016
    Options
    The not eating past 5pm I mean :).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    Not me.

I dont knock off work till 5:30 - would have to miss dinner if I did this.

I just eat whenever I eat - within my calorie allowance.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I usually eat within less than 12 hours each day anyway, and I'm sure it's five o'clock somewhere just about all the time, so I think I do this. It's just a way to structure my eating. For me, eating all the time made me eat too much, but it was the eating too much that made me overweight.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It won't make any difference to your weight loss.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If the calories you consume are the same it won't make a difference what time exactly you eat them. If you function well with that schedule and stick to your calorie deficit that is the important thing.

I personally go to bed about midnight. I don't have a rule but generally 9 pm is the latest I eat so about 3 hours before bed. I eat breakfast at 8 AM and every 3-5 hours between. This does not mean I lose more or less weight than someone on a different eating schedule.
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do this, but I'll eat if I'm out with friends, etc. It helps me to avoid making bad food choices. I also love to wake up hungry and really appreciate a wholesome breakfast.

Just do what works, beauteous one. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,026 Member
    Options
    Who does this? I am trying to stop eating 3 hours before bed.
    The not eating past 5pm I mean :).

I'm not even home from work by 5 pm ... and 3 hours before bed is about 10:30 pm.

So ... no.

I start eating about 10:30 am ... and keep going until about 12:30 am. Or later if I'm up later.

When I'm losing weight, I just keep my calories within my calorie limit. The time doesn't matter.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit.

f it helps you make good choices and/or reduce your calorie intake, then I say "why not?"!

But if, on the other hand, it encourages you to make poorer choices in that 12 hour window because you know "I gotta eat before the clock strikes 5", then it might do more harm than good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a problem with sleeping due to digestion, not eating 3 hours before bed makes no difference. I mention this since a lot of people seem to think that you won't burn it off while sleeping and that's false -- meal timing doesn't matter. (Also, I work way past 5.)

If you mean the concept of a certain number of hours as an eating window or finding a way to control evening snacking that tends to result in going over, that works for many, so try it and see.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP what are you actually trying to achieve by:
    1/ Having a restricted eating window.
    2/ Not eating 3 hours before bed.

What are your goals not your methods in other words?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I do this. It happens naturally when I'm dieting because I still let appetite dictate my choices earlier in the day then curtail to meet my calorie goals later. I am more active during the day than I am in the evenings and I feel as though I'm fuelling appropriately. And if I find that I've gone over in calories I have all evening to get some extra exercise in to balance things out. I have also had acid reflux in recent years and this helps keep it at bay.

The only real disadvantage for me is dinners out with friends or big family dinners. My body has gotten used to eating early (circadian? diurnal?) and it takes effort now to save calories for later in the day.
  • NutritionHealth4Life
    Options
    The OP is simply asking people who does the type of eating he/she does. Not sure why so many people are critiquing the style of eating hours when a critique wasn't requested? Do those critiquing really believe they are so knowledgeable about the person posting and why he/she chose to eat within a certain window of hours that a critique was necessary? People in the community truly need to stop this type of unwelcoming responding. It's quite unfriendly.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The OP is simply asking people who does the type of eating he/she does. Not sure why so many people are critiquing the style of eating hours when a critique wasn't requested? Do those critiquing really believe they are so knowledgeable about the person posting and why he/she chose to eat within a certain window of hours that a critique was necessary? People in the community truly need to stop this type of unwelcoming responding. It's quite unfriendly.

"It won't make you lose weight, but if it works for you, do it" doesn't seem unfriendly to me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

It could also be that OP is asking about this way of eating because s/he thinks only eating during certain times will result in weight loss and/or you can't eat 3 hours before bed because the food will turn into fat. Yeah, it starts as just asking if anyone else is eating this way, but sometimes, after asking questions, we find out OP believes all the woo about meal timing, eating before bed, bananas make you fat, etc..

I don't restrict my eating times and I eat before going to sleep. If eating in a 12 hour window helps OP stick to his/her diet, then I say go for it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. If you ate 1500 calories between 5am and 5pm or 1500 calories between 9am-9pm it would have exactly the same effect. It's all about calories burned verses calories eaten.

This. Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing. I usually eat between 11am-7pm. Works well with my schedule, but what matters in terms of my weight is that I'm hitting my calorie goals.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    if I told myself I couldnt after 5pm until 5am by 5.03pm my stomach would be rumbbling and my brain telling Im starving so go raid the fridge .

its baisically IF and I guess if havinf a smaller eating window helps you stick to your calorie goal then go for it, loads of people dont eat after 5/6/7pm for different reasons, as long as you remember its you calories that will alter your weight and not the time of day you eat them
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Yes but then the OP goes on to say they're hoping to drop weight by eating like this, which suggests that the OP thinks this is the way to lose weight.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting and found that only eating in a certain time window made maintaining my deficit much easier