Recipe for Butternut Squash Soup

Options
Blondemon60
Blondemon60 Posts: 3 Member
I am looking for a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup. I would rather have a recommendation from someone rather than trying a recipe out of a cookbook or online. I volunteered to make this soup for my family's Thanksgiving dinner.

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have an actual recipe. But mine has me use roasted squash and onion instead of raw.. I think that makes a huge difference in taste. I sometimes will add acorn squash, sweet potato, depending on what I have in the house. Really anything goes..it's soup. In your soup pot add the cooked vegetables, a small diced apple and depending on how many vegetables, a few cups of chicken stock and a cup of apple cider. It also uses a t. of curry powder and a tablespoon of molasses. puree the mixture and add cream if you like, but it's just delicious without. There's a thread dedicated to Butternut squash, there will likely be several soup recipes.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    We make this recipe every Thanksgiving. A little smoked paprika on top Delicious!

Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
    Prep: 15 min., Bake: 45 min., Cook: 40 min.
    Yield: Makes about 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

1 (3- to 4-pound) butternut squash*
    1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large sweet onion, chopped
    3 parsnips, peeled and chopped**
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    5 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    Garnishes: sour cream, paprika

Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, and apples on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until squash pulp is tender. Remove from oven; cool. Scoop out squash pulp, discarding shells.

Melt butter in olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Add squash, apple quarters, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.

Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return to Dutch oven. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until heated. Garnish, if desired.

*3 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed, may be substituted. For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Southland Microwaveable Butternut Squash.

**3 carrots, peeled and chopped, may be substituted.

Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2005
  • mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I made curried butternut squash soup the other night. But I don't do strict recipes. Here's the best I can do for you:
    Cut a butternut squash in half, scrape out the seeds, salt it, and put it face down on a cookie sheet in a hot oven (anywhere from 350-400 degrees) until it's soft. I had acorn squashes lying around, so I threw those in too.

Let it cool enough that you can handle it, and scrape out the flesh.

Chop up an onion and some garlic, sautee until soft, then pour in 4-6 cups chicken broth, bring to simmer.

Dump in the squash, add salt, pepper (to taste) and about 1 T or a little more curry powder.

Squeeze in 1 or 2 T honey to taste.

Puree with an immersion blender or in your real blender or food processor (BE CAREFUL if it is very hot).

Simmer for a bit.

Low calorie and delicious!! My kids would rather die than eat a butternut squash by itself, but I couldn't get them away from the soup.
  • mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit, I didn't see your post! You cook like I do. :) Take whatever you have in the house and throw it in the pot.
  • karlygj
    karlygj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have made this recipe many times. It is really easy to prepare, especially if you buy the squash that is already peeled.
    Having an immersion blender is key. I would not make this if I had to transfer the batch to puree.
    I have made substitutions for the vegan I cook for ( coconut oil for butter, vegetable stock ) and it turns out great!
    Also have seasoned with curry OR Hungarian paprika, rather than nutmeg.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/butternut-squash-soup-recipe1.html
  • Blondemon60
    Blondemon60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your posts. They are very helpful.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    karlygj wrote: »
    I have made this recipe many times. It is really easy to prepare, especially if you buy the squash that is already peeled.
    Having an immersion blender is key. I would not make this if I had to transfer the batch to puree.
    I have made substitutions for the vegan I cook for ( coconut oil for butter, vegetable stock ) and it turns out great!
    Also have seasoned with curry OR Hungarian paprika, rather than nutmeg.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/butternut-squash-soup-recipe1.html

This is how I make mine too. I buy in Costco the butternut squash already peeled and in chunks. I do add an apple or two, depending on the size, to the mix and if I have time I roast the apple and squash first because it does add more flavor to the soup. You can make large amounts because it freezes well.

I also prefer curry and paprika rather than nutmeg.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Recipe? What recipe?! I roast the squash in the oven scoop it out of its shell, add some water, hit it with an immersion blender, and it's soup! Sometimes I'll add garlic powder and curry powder

• veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cut the squash in half, deseed it, add a tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, onion and leek.
    Do likewise with 2 medium sweet potato. throw all in the oven to roast together for 30 - 45 mins at a medium to high heat. Season with whatever you like.
    Take it all out, (easily!) peel squash and sweet potato.
    Add the roast veggies plus any juices to a blender. Thats your base.
    Now you can decide do you want something a little fancy pants - add some chilli and coconut milk and heat or Curry powder, cumin and heat.
    Other choices are just a veg stock cube or stock cube and some cream or crème fraiche depending on whether or not you are restricting calories. Or very simply, black pepper and a drop of high quality olive oil.
    Yum Yum! Hope I get time to do this at the weekend!
    P.S. Make sure the veggies are very soft coming out of the oven to avoid a bad texture in the soup.