What is your typical reaction when you have stong felt convictions challenged?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
?

Replies

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It depends on who is challenging and how they're doing it. If someone is open to discussion, I'll do that, and usually enjoy it. If someone is being an *kitten*, I just show em mine :smiley:
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I drink :s
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and situation. I stand up for what I believe in when I feel it necessary, but I'm not spoiling for a fight.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    J519NkijNNIvC.gif
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I try to look at everything as a scientist, so I have no "strongly held convictions", only theories and beliefs, which serve until proven otherwise. I think it's natural to question everything, always.

A favorite quote of mine, from Dr. Who (which I've never been a watcher of, actually, just love the quote!):

"What are you, some kind of scientist?"
    "I'm every kind of scientist."

• Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I like to hear the challengers out. Just because I think I'm right doesn't necessarily mean that I am. How else are we going to develop and grow?
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    captbklee wrote: »
    I like to hear the challengers out. Just because I think I'm right doesn't necessarily mean that I am. How else are we going to develop and grow?

Stop being so rational

Oops. My bad. I mean "Call them ignorant and/or biased and ride off on my high horse." lol
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Depends on the subject and context/subtext of "the challenge."

Gang violence [gang migrations from the US to tribal zones] and political volatility [think Hotel Rwanda] are realities I need to deal with, almost every month. Sometimes opinions can result in life VS death. I cannot be advocating the "Squash it" approach and be compounding issues by being combative where I can CHOOSE not to be. Separating YOU vs CONFLICT. Far better to be a hemostatic agent than a knife wielder.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Gang violence [gang migrations from the US to tribal zones] and political volatility [think Hotel Rwanda] are realities I need to deal with, almost every month. Sometimes opinions can result in life VS death. I cannot be advocating the "Squash it" approach and be compounding issues by being combative where I can CHOOSE not to be. Separating YOU vs CONFLICT. Far better to be a hemostatic agent than a knife wielder.

Some good wisdom here.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

Nuthin' a little cruise missile can't take care of.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Nuthin' a little cruise missile can't take care of.

Ohhhh I have been there@ cruise missiles, crocodiles, genetically engineered sharks, geoengineering .... [sighs]

• 777Gemma888
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

Some good wisdom here.

Thank you.

• BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I believe that anything and everything is rarely black and white and I like to learn , so I do my best to keep an open mind and heart. I'm not big on conflict so I'll usually just agree to disagree if an argument hasn't swayed me. Though I will also admit that I will disregard completely what someone has to say if they've shown certain prejudices from the outset...

Conclusion: somewhat inconclusive... :s
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Cry like a baby, riot and destroy other peoples' property, run around in traffic...and don't forget the name calling.

Oh, I do that every three weeks or so, regardless..... :|
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I participate in road rage often.. I spit on people when they turn their backs.. I also run very early in the a.m. so if a neighbor did this, I will steal their news paper. LOL

Otherwise I have nothing to offer, cause challenge can come from no body that matters, to your SO and other family or friends, etc.. This is specific in nature and what would declare you turn around and walk away or meet the challenge and stand up for your views. Pick the right battles at the right time.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Im usually pretty rude and laugh and call them out on *kitten*.. sometimes if its serious to my nature Ill get overwhelmed and cry. I think thats what you're asking anyway
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    ?

John... I've missed you so much!!! :*<3
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk, now i think about it. i'm not sure what i consider a challenge. i'll definitely argue my position, when i'm in the mood for it. but i think it's usually me who draws people's attention to the fact that i hold a dissenting view, instead of the other way round.

i don't think i see 'i disagree' as a challenge. if someone does disagree, it's just a statement of fact. but i can quickly get either exhausted or bored when it comes to debate, so i think i just wander away from the issue when i'm tired of it.