how do I separate my diet from my husbands?

Options
I love my husband, but he is Mr. fastfood, carbs, meat & potatoes, fried,...everything that puts on weight..I know I need to eat much different, but how?

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I just stopped eating what he cooked and ate. If you cook for him, still cook for him, just don't eat it. Though this isn't ideal for everyone it worked VERY WELL for me and the hubby likes the way I look now and no longer asks if I want his "fat" food.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I sometimes (most of the time) eat a separate meal from my family if it isn't easily weighed/logged. I don't really mind it too much. It leaves leftovers in the fridge for my husband to take to work.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Eat less of it. Problem solved.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are vegetarians. My son and husband are not. This brings up an interesting problem in our house.

Fortunately, none of us mind left overs or some quickly-thrown together type meals.

A lot of what I do involves either cooking on a staggered schedule -- cooking for the vegetarians while the omnivores eat leftovers of what I cooked for them the prior night OR making two separate quick, throw-together meals that only have a slight variation, like pasta, salad, and sauce -- or say a frittata and salad and I'll throw some sausages into a pan to accompany it for the meat-eaters.

If you put some thought into it, you can come up with plans like this to accommodate different diets in the same household.

I can understand you not necessarily wanting to eat fast food. I don't understand how you can't work around meat and potatoes or what's wrong with "carbs".

If you're low carbing, he likes meat and potatoes... just eat the meat and make vegetable side dishes out of fibrous veggies for yourself. Problem solved.

If he wants pasta, just make yourself some zoodles and make a meat sauce. Have yours over the zucchini with a lot of cheese.

This. My husband does a lot of the cooking and he likes to make high cal carbs. I take the meat and either make a salad bowl with it over romaine or spinach...or Spiralize zucchini to make a bowl. Taco meat, fajita, chicken, pork, etc. I try and cook one two nights a week and i make higher veggie meals.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Eat smaller portions. Watch your calorie intake.

This.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My husband is the exact same. I just eat smaller amounts and make sure to always have a salad or veggie to have more of if I'm still hungry. Sometimes I'll skip the starch. Sometimes not. Just depends on my goals for the day.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    We cook what our teenage boys will eat. Lots of meat, potato, fried stuff..etc. Everything a growing teenage boy will scarf down, ask for more and be hungry in an hour. So.... I eat the same stuff but smaller portions. The days when I could eat 1500 cals multiple times a day are long gone. Now it's about CICO and I control that by portion size.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I love my husband, but he is Mr. fastfood, carbs, meat & potatoes, fried,...everything that puts on weight..I know I need to eat much different, but how?

Four of us in one house doing four different things. I'm the only one on MFP but my wife cooks based on what I need. She doesn't count calories for herself but eats a lot of fruit and vegetables. My daughter is more "health food" conscious and buys her own stuff. My son eats crazy amounts of all the wrong things, but also exercises like crazy. We're all getting positive results!!

Just cook what he likes, but eat less of it, and skip some items if you know they're having a bad effect on your goals. I'm glad you're trying to eat together as a couple.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    OP, are you the one doing most of the cooking or is it hubby or a combination? Similarly, who makes the shopping list in your family?
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of things with a lot veggies in them - I just put the starches on the side. My husband has grown used to Beef Stew with no potatoes in it - I just make boiled potatoes and put the stew over it like gravy - for him. I eat the no potato version with some cottage cheese for an extra protein boost.

Weigh and measure everything for you... make lavish use of the recipe generator - so you will know what calories are in what you have cooked - don't forget to count the oil for browning veggies and such.

Fast food? Make the best choices you can... there are salads, or higher protein options. I do boneless chicken wings at Sonic... that sort of thing. If you know in advance you will be doing fast food - PRE-LOG what you are going to order. It will save you endless pain and suffering. You can plan your day around the fast food... And try to just say "no" when fast food is suggested - or let them eat FF and you go home and eat something good for you. I always have some cold cuts and cheese around. Worst case scenario I can always drink a protein shake as a meal replacement.

You don't have to completely deprive yourself... just try to do the best that you can and stay within the infamous calorie goal.

Also - if you live with a junk food junkie - it might be good to set a nice slow weight-loss goal... like 1 lb a week. Otherwise, it is going to be very difficult to stay within CICO goals.

Good Luck!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Eat less of it. Problem solved.

Actually, I think that may cause a big problem, not solve it. A lot of people are suggesting that the OP eat the same food as her husband (fast food, fried, etc) but just have smaller portions. In theory, yes, of course that would work. But in practice, because those foods are so calorie dense, she would probably have to eat a very small portion to stay within her calories for the day. I'm guessing she would probably not feel satisfied eating half a hamburger, one slice of pizza, etc. I know I wouldn't and would probably end up overeating. OP, I would encourage you to eat more satisfying foods that you can eat a hearty portion of, even if it is different from what you husband wants to eat. Lean grilled meats and veggies can fill you up without the calorie bomb.