Help

Options
ravenskye0123
ravenskye0123 Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. I've lost 60 pounds over the last year but now I've gained 10 back. I was doing good the last 3 days but I ate some junk food and got down. Whenever I do this I end up binge eating my feelings. Maybe ill never get back on track

Replies

• jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 60 lbs! That's a huge accomplishment and you shouldn't let 10 extra pounds put the other 50 to shame. You've come a long way.

Every day is a new day. If you gained those 10lbs back quickly, a lot of it could be water weight. Your weight can fluctuate crazy amounts without actually having more/less fat. What are you classifying as junk food? If you're eating below your maintenance-level calories, you will lose weight whether it's "junk food" or not. That's the beauty of weight loss. Eat some of what you love in moderation.
  • ravenskye0123
    ravenskye0123 Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks that helped boost my mood up a bit. Though I do feel like staying away from junk food is my best option. Lets say I have a small bag of chips. I know it isn't that bad. But in my head I get so angry with myself and I eat more because of it. Causing me to feel worse.
  • juliagorina
    juliagorina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, whatever "bad" you've done you can always undo. I am constantly going back and forth too, and I think you'll find that most people give themselves some slack. Just take it one day at a time!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Good job! So impressed with your 60 lb loss. Just wondering, last year when you were losing, did you ever get down on yourself? If so, what did you do then to get back into a good mindset? Similarly, did you ever let yourself have a treat like a bag of chips? If so, what did you do (or say to yourself) to keep it in perspective and stay on track?

Clearly, you have shown you have the knowledge and determination to succeed. How do you think you can get back in touch with that?
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I struggle quite a bit with feeling ashamed of food. This is one of the biggest things I feel like I have to conquer--I will hide what I am eating from my hubby and others, and beat myself up internally to the extent that it will make me give up.

All to say, I think I may know a little bit about where you are coming from, @ravenskye0123. I found the first step that I needed to do was taking a deep breath when the shame cycle started, and try to remind myself of what is true. For you, this might be thoughts like "I lost a freaking 60 pounds, and that is an accomplishment I am proud of." "One small bag of chips is not ending my diet. It is perfectly acceptable." When you start to shut down the angry-at-yourself thoughts then you can start to think more clearly, and move on to putting the chips away and moving on with your day.

Also, having some chips in and of itself is not bad, if you plan for them and enjoy them in moderation. If you know you really enjoy certain treats, then I would recommend budgeting for them in your macros and calorie count and planning when you will enjoy those treats. This will help justify them for you mentally. They are not a weakness. They are not a cheat or a fault. You planned for them, you are enjoying them wisely, and you have earned them!

Don't give up--you can do it! As others have pointed out, most of those ten pounds are probably water weight. Whatever weight you may have gained, you lost over six times that much before, and you will lose those pounds again!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new start. If you blow it one day, start over the next. Or the next meal. Let go of yesterday, because it can't be changed. Focus on today.