Want to try low carb... help?

Options
I just watched the movie Fat Head and the idea of lowering carbs and raising your fat intake was so interesting and eye opening to me. He lost 12 lbs in 28 days and lowered his cholesterol and other things. I want to do this but don't really know where to set my numbers at? OR are my numbers fine the way they are/should I stick with the presets for longer? Using the MFP settings (below) I lost 8 lbs in about 4 weeks:

carbs 257
fat 62
protein 70
calories 1490 (I don't know if this helps)

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I follow the Primal Blueprint lifestyle which tends to be lower carb (not on purpose, just by default. It's pretty clean eating, since all grains, soy, and legumes are cut out). Feel free to check out my diary.

also look into:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
  • teeny1973
    teeny1973 Posts: 18
    Options
    I really liked that movie...its been a few months but I think he kept his carbs under 140 or so.
    But if you have lost 8lbs in 4 weeks you are doing really great..I say keep up what your are doing!!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    1 to 1.5g of protien, 1g of carbs or less, .25 to .5g of fat

this is all per pound of body weight - a good idea for a healthy active female.

If you do a low carb, allow yourself 1 'reward' meal a week to keep you leptin levels up. That meal would be 2g or more per pound)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you are on the right track with what your doing. If you are thinking about cutting carbs though. Try cutting any processed carbs you might be having.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would personally recommend the Anabolic Diet. It's similar to others in that it's low carb and you have short induction period in which your body gets use to burning fat for energy. However, in my opinion the bonus to this diet plan is that it's sustainable long term because you get relief on the weekends to eat carbs. MFP is pretty easy to customize for using this diet plan too. :wink:

http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/

http://www.muscle-building.com/anabolic_diet.html
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat a higher fat higher protien diet. I keep my carbs under 100. I also have some insulin issues and will not lose weight if I dont kill the carbs. Look for foods that have a higher protien...it kills some of the carbs.
  • princesshaylo
    princesshaylo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am a big fan of low carb diets... though they can be difficult to stay on. It all depends if you want your body to be in a state of ketosis ( where your body is burning fat for energy not glucose). I use to pay lots of $$$ at a doctors weight loss clinic. They recommended staying under 70grams of carbs per day, and having 80Grams of Protein. I lost lots of weight on this plan. I plan on starting back on it soon. Hope this helps.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Hey
    I lost lots of weight on the Low Carb plan...twice from 172lbs to 135lbs. I put it all back on and more. I was also absolutely sick of protein by the end and just could never stick with it. It takes real dedication and will impact on your life and choices. If you are going to do it you need to really think about whether it fits your life and you can sustain it.

I have lost more and kept it off just doing proper portion control and lowering carbs that way. Don't be seduced by the quick weightloss, it is true but really low carb it isn't sustainable IMHO for typical working people with a life (Works really well for supermodels and actors - only then in moderation and for short periods). I speak from personal experience and those I know in industry.

I am not knocking those who have been on it for years and are happy, but I have found true life long advocates more difficult to find than people who have been on it less than 2 years.