How can l loose weight with 2 kids??

Options

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Like many others here, I don't understand the question. Plenty of people with children can lose weight. If it's only weight you are concerned with and not muscle tone, simply eat at a deficit. I recommend investing in a food scale and tracking everything you eat as I had no idea how far over my target calories I was until I did that.
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    WOW.... some of these comments in here. SMH.... Sometimes people just want to exercise to feel good. Calorie deficit has not a thing to do with getting in some exercise time for health and sanity. I have not seen "excuses" mentioned, or any complaint. JUST a simple question asking for advice in exercising from home. It is these types of assuming and judgmental responses that drive people away from these forums. Does anyone think before posting an answer? I assume not. That being said......

How old are your kids? I also have 2 daughters and I got sick of people telling me to turn on the radio and "dance my booty off" with my kids..... who were too busy trying to run under my legs and knock me down, or running circles around me, or just not wanting the whole situation so they sat and cried, or needed a diaper change in the middle of the exercise, etc.... Exercise with my kids never ever worked when they were small. I had to get in small segments of a work out. 10 minutes here and there until I managed to accumulate a work out. Not all kids and homes and situations are alike though. If you have a good place to walk and you have a stroller, go for a walk with the kids in the stroller, or put the kids down for a nap and instead of catching up on house work or what ever else get in a work out, try waking up earlier to get in a little workout time. These are all ways I managed. Now they are ages 7 and 9 and we can do more together so it's not as much of a struggle. Another idea, do you have a trusted neighbor or even older kid in the family or neighborhood who would want to earn a little cash for watching your kids while you work out? Just ideas here. I hope you find a solution. I know how frustrating it is.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Debster634 wrote: »
    My thoughts as well. This is exactly why I seldom post. Someone asks a simple question and the hyenas circle. Insulting someone by insinuating that they are unmotivated is just hurtful. She is looking for suggestions so that she can find something that works for her own situation. Kindness and understanding go a long way. We are all trying to obtain our own goals; that's why we're here.

A bit extreme I would think especially since OP hasn't come back and made clear exactly what the problem is.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You just do what you can do and call it good. No guilt. Get enough sleep. Keep a calorie deficit. Learn about nutrition. When you do things with the children, make them active things like walking or playing at the park. Don't sit too much. Make your hobbies active ones.

If you find you have some extra time in the day, there are a lot of exercise videos available on the internet. A search engine is your friend. Also, a few minutes here and there can add up.

Then, if you have people in your life who are even marginally supportive, enlist their help. Say, "I'm going to be going for a walk from 5 to 6 this evening, please re-heat the soup while I'm out," or "Would you please oversee the bedtime routine while I do some exercises in the kitchen?"

This stage of life really doesn't last forever, so just make the best of it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    WOW.... some of these comments in here. SMH.... Sometimes people just want to exercise to feel good. Calorie deficit has not a thing to do with getting in some exercise time for health and sanity. I have not seen "excuses" mentioned, or any complaint. JUST a simple question asking for advice in exercising from home. It is these types of assuming and judgmental responses that drive people away from these forums. Does anyone think before posting an answer? I assume not. That being said......

And, who are you to scold? ;) Point that finger out and there are always three more pointing back at you. That being said....

The title, a question, is "How can l loose weight with 2 kids??", and then the question is furthered with how to get more exercise.

Answer to the OP: all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. No exercise is actually necessary. However, if you would like to exercise, have you thought of looking on You Tube for videos, or taking the kids for a long walk, or just turning on the music and dancing around with them? You can also do other exercises while they nap, or have significant other (or family member, friend) babysit them while you go do your preferred exercise.

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

And, who are you to scold? ;) Point that finger out and there are always three more pointing back at you. That being said....

The title, a question, is "How can l loose weight with 2 kids??", and then the question is furthered with how to get more exercise.

Answer to the OP: all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. No exercise is actually necessary. However, if you would like to exercise, have you thought of looking on You Tube for videos, or taking the kids for a long walk, or just turning on the music and dancing around with them? You can also do other exercises while they nap, or have significant other (or family member, friend) babysit them while you go do your preferred exercise.

I might ask you the same question! When people post for advice there is no need for the nasty comments and judgement. A simple question should not be met with an arrogant and condescending attitudinized. If a person doesn't have constructive advice why comment? SMH....
  • Sara1791
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I might ask you the same question! When people post for advice there is no need for the nasty comments and judgement. A simple question should not be met with an arrogant and condescending attitudinized. If a person doesn't have constructive advice why comment? SMH....

I agree that advice should be constructive. That said, I haven't seen a rash of nonconstructive advice in this thread.

Then I must be hearing some of these differently than you.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

I agree that advice should be constructive. That said, I haven't seen a rash of nonconstructive advice in this thread.

"Hearing?"

Yes, "hearing." Problem?
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't blame the kids. And weightloss is mostly diet, not exercise. However, there are TONS of free exercise you can do from youtube.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

I think that you are. I would say go back and read them in a dispassionate tone and you'll see that the responses are not nasty or judgy. I'd especially look at the 11 that were posted before ThatUserName posted that people were being judgmental. None of them are rude. They are all informative and give useful and practical advice.

Agreed.
  • Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options

I think that you are. I would say go back and read them in a dispassionate tone and you'll see that the responses are not nasty or judgy. I'd especially look at the 11 that were posted before ThatUserName posted that people were being judgmental. None of them are rude. They are all informative and give useful and practical advice.

Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com
    It's about committing yourself. Don't be looking for excuses.

Sorry, sounds bitchy no matter what accent I put on it. Mixed in there is all kinds of good advice, but yes it is nasty and judgy and rude.
  • Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options

Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com

Sorry, sounds bitchy no matter what accent I put on it. Mixed in there is all kinds of good advice, but yes it is nasty and judgy and rude.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

I tell my daughter not to look for excuses and I tell her that she is not the only person to face whatever challenge she is facing. To me that is not being nasty. It's being truthful and showing her that we all have challenges in life and that there are ways to overcome them.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

I tell my daughter not to look for excuses and I tell her that she is not the only person to face whatever challenge she is facing. To me that is not being nasty. It's being truthful and showing her that we all have challenges in life and that there are ways to overcome them.

I'm OK with disagreeing.

ETA: sorry for double quote - I can't figure out where they begin and end or I'd delete one.