Breathing Problems

Options
I'm 99% certain that it's not caused by my diet and exercise, but I want opinions & suggestions anyways.

Recently, since the last week of October, I've been having problems breathing. I mean I can breathe normally, but when I do, it still feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen, so I have to take deep breaths in. Sometimes I need to take in more than just one breath in, at its worse I needed at least 5-10. I'm certain this is stress-related, since I had exams at the start of November, packing because I was moving, then a 20-hour flight & having my relationship turn long-distance. However, most of my stressors have disappeared since last Sunday, but I'm still experiencing this (albeit not as bad).

Another thing could be because I just started eating less & exercising, but this has been happening for only 2-3 weeks, and I've been following MFP for 2-3 months. I doubt it's that, but there have been periods in my life where I have been far more stressed out (I didn't actually feel all that stressed this month, to be honest, just started getting breathing problems) but don't have this problem, which is why I'm confused.

I don't have an asthma problem, and my diary is open though I don't have tight logging. I'm not sick or ill or hurt, though my neck is starting to hurt a little because it contracts a lot for me to breathe in. I haven't seen the doctor yet since I'm sure this is psychological, but may have to if this continues for the rest of the month. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions? (Controlling my breathing ala meditation doesn't work, I still feel like I need to breathe in more).

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just moved, ugh. Can't imagine doing it on top of everything else you're experiencing.

Best to get physical causes ruled out, but so what if it is 100% psychological? Medical professionals can help with that as well.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    janekana wrote: »
    then a 20-hour flight

Go see a doctor IMMEDIATELY. Right now. Go to Emergency or a Walk-in clinic or something. Tell them what you've told us ... especially about the 20-hour flight.

Do you have any painful spots in legs, arms or chest?

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I had this years ago, and in my case it was indeed stress-related. It was particularly odd because I was in excellent physical shape at the time. The symptoms would disappear after about the first mile of running, but they'd come back about an hour after I was done. So here I was, feeling like I couldn't breathe, but when I saw an allergist he measured my lung capacity and it came in at over 115%.

The reason I was seeing an allergist was that I was visiting a number of doctors, to rule out physical causes. It would be wise of you to do that first. You don't want to take any chances with your lungs. If there are no physical causes, then you might want to consider some talk therapy to work out exactly what's stressing you and how to deal with it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I had this in 2009 after a 17 hour flight from the US to Australia.

Mine started with a pain in my left calf which I thought was a cramp. 6 weeks later, I could barely use my left leg and I couldn't breathe. I could breathe normally, but when I did it felt like I was not getting enough oxygen, so I had to take deep breaths in. And if I exerted myself at all, I found myself gasping for air. It got to the point that even just standing up and walking across the room was challenging because I just couldn't breathe.

My husband rushed me into the Dr after one particularly difficult day ... the Dr rushed me into a doppler ultrasound ... and the ultrasound tech wouldn't let me leave the hospital. My left leg was chalk full of clots. I was in a really serious condition and I spent the next 2 weeks in hospital.

Thankfully I didn't develop PE (pulmonary embolism) but for some, that's where the clots start.

That 20-hour flight of yours set off alarm bells for me. Please get checked. Maybe it is stress. Maybe it's allergies or something else. But please rule out PE and blood clots.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A colleague of mine had this, combined with a rash on her leg, following a flight from Australia. Thankfully her boss listened to me when she wouldn't and was refusing to go to A&E. Boss packed her off in a cab, next thing she's been diagnosed with DVT and was very lucky to be alive.

Get thee to A&E immediately!
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Mine started with a pain in my left calf which I thought was a cramp. 6 weeks later, I could barely use my left leg and I couldn't breathe. I could breathe normally, but when I did it felt like I was not getting enough oxygen, so I had to take deep breaths in. And if I exerted myself at all, I found myself gasping for air. It got to the point that even just standing up and walking across the room was challenging because I just couldn't breathe.

My husband rushed me into the Dr after one particularly difficult day ... the Dr rushed me into a doppler ultrasound ... and the ultrasound tech wouldn't let me leave the hospital. My left leg was chalk full of clots. I was in a really serious condition and I spent the next 2 weeks in hospital.

Thankfully I didn't develop PE (pulmonary embolism) but for some, that's where the clots start.

That 20-hour flight of yours set off alarm bells for me. Please get checked. Maybe it is stress. Maybe it's allergies or something else. But please rule out PE and blood clots.

Thank you for your concern, but to be honest, my problem started way before the flight. It was actually better after it.

I will get it checked later though at the doctor's though, maybe if it continues until next week or so. But I have noticed today that if I don't think about it, I don't actually need to take a breath in, and only when I feel stressed. It probably is psychological to be honest.

Thank you guys, hopefully it goes away, if it doesn't by the end of this week, I'll see a doctor :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Of course get it checked out but it sounds like anxiety to me. I am all too familiar!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thank you for your concern, but to be honest, my problem started way before the flight. It was actually better after it.

I will get it checked later though at the doctor's though, maybe if it continues until next week or so. But I have noticed today that if I don't think about it, I don't actually need to take a breath in, and only when I feel stressed. It probably is psychological to be honest.

Thank you guys, hopefully it goes away, if it doesn't by the end of this week, I'll see a doctor :)

just because its psychological doesnt mean you shouldn't get help for it...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You might be anemic- see a doctor and have them test your iron levels, hemoglobin, and blood oxygen.

When I was anemic I had trouble feeling like I got enough air. If it is to that point it is very severe and you need to see a doctor ASAP! Not in a week, not in a month... like TODAY.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Luckily if it is anemia it's usually fairly easy to correct- but that doesn't mean having anemia isn't dangerous or a serious health condition. Go get tested it's so easy and could save your health.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor, it can be caused by so many different things, this is your life, your body. For me I would see a doctor first to rule out a medical issue.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Do you have anxiety?

I definitely don't want to discourage you from seeing a doctor, but what you're describing sounds exactly like my anxiety. I can breathe but feel like i can't breathe deeply enough.

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    did your relocation result a large change in altitude? for some people it may take weeks to acclimate to high elevations