very disappointed on gym what's your thoughts ???

Options
2»

Replies

• HJ_Fit
    HJ_Fit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hlektra28 wrote: »
    HJ_Fit this is exactly what I was thinking and wanting to start doing weights

Give it a try and see what happens. You can only try and see what works for you - but don't expect immediate results in the first few weeks, it's a journey so stick with it :smile:
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks !
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    HJ_Fit wrote: »
    If you have more muscles, your body needs more energy to 'run' them, therefore you need more calories per day just to keep you and your muscles working. So, with muscles, it could be easier to create a calorie deficit because your 'running costs' (calories required per day) are higher. Obviously it takes time to create muscles but every day is a step in the right direction, just keep at it :smile:

Personally, I would recommend a balance of both cardio and strength training.
    One day cardio, one day arms? Or 30 mins cardio then 30 mins strength training?

^^ This is the answer.

Your trainer sounds like a moron - quit listening to him/her.

First, it sounds like you have some estimation issues. If you are doing an hour of cardio and counting your calories, you should be losing weight. Most people underestimate food a little and overestimate exercise calories, so I'd suggest trying not eating back exercise calories if you have not been losing for a while doing an hour of cardio...

Do strength training NOW to retain muscle mass as you lose fat. Don't eat back ANY calories for strength training.

Do cardio NOW to create a bigger calorie pool to work with. Technically, if you follow MFP, you eat back your cardio exercise calories, so your deficit stays the same. But, if might be a good idea to eat back only half or none for a while to see what happens.
  • hlektra28
    Options
    I didn't say I didn't lose with cardio but not as much as I expected so since it is difficult for me to continue doing cardio I wanted to do strength training instead and I get back a just don't respond from everyone I know because, I ll try to do the exact translation " fat will tighten and you will not be able to lose and you will end up looking like pregnant " and I don't understand why everyone I mean everyone I know tells me that since there isn't true .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I didn't lose with cardio but not as much as I expected so since it is difficult for me to continue doing cardio I wanted to do strength training instead and I get back a just don't respond from everyone I know because, I ll try to do the exact translation " fat will tighten and you will not be able to lose and you will end up looking like pregnant " and I don't understand why everyone I mean everyone I know tells me that since there isn't true .

none of that makes any sense...

do some cardio, do some strength training, do whichever you enjoy doing.

get your deficit to lose weight from your food intake.

simple!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Lose weight first and then do strength training. You can do weights work now as well but focus on the cardio and then you can build muscle after

bad advice, do strength training as you lose, don't wait till after.

it wont stop you losing weight OP.

Can you not read - I said do weights during and never mentioned strength training stopping you lose weight. Ridiculous

your exact words are "Lose weight first and then do strength training."

bad advice....
  • hlektra28
    Options
    so I cant build muscle and lose weight at the same time ? true or false ? what do you mean by except through body recomposition?
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't see it above, but why can't you do both during your 1 hour at the gym? When you get to the gym, spend 30 minutes doing strength training using the machines and/or free weights, then spend 30 minutes cardio. I do this 4 days a week right now. I separate my strength into different areas of the body so I can fit in the cardio. You don't have to do every single strength workout there is every single time. But this is what works for me.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Someone told you if you lift weights your fat will tighten and you will look pregnant??? Hmm.. Hope it doesn't happen to me...

So, you WERE losing weight doing cardio and sticking to your diet. How much did you actually lose and what was your target caloric deficit?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You may weigh more by doing weights then if you lose it alone or by cardio, but you will look as small or smaller if you lift. I personally would like my clothing smaller and look slimmer rather than worrying about a number on a scale.
    Your trainer would be fired where I live because he is leading you wrong.
  • hlektra28
    Options
    my target was 0,5 kg per week and I was losing 1,5 kg per month cant say isn't enough but cardio is difficult for me that's why I wanted to switch for weights since " the more muscle you have the more you burn " and yes everyone tells me about the look of pregnant and that makes me mad!!!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    so I cant build muscle and lose weight at the same time ? true or false ? what do you mean by except through body recomposition?

I lost 40 pounds so far by a mix of cardio and weights. Monday, Wed, and Fridays are 90 minutes of lifting. I DID gain 10 pounds when I started lifting(everyone is different), but it came off super fast. You will notice the number, but your body, even when it gains will look smaller.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've lot just over 100lb so far, the first 80lb(or so) I lost in 8 months just eating less and doing a lot of cardio (and generally becoming more active), the other 20lb I've lost over 4 months, cutting back the cardio, eating more and focusing on strength with some high intensity classes and running(if you can call my super slow pace running). The thing is, my actual weight loss may have slowed (but is still pretty good) but my body has changed drastically over the last 4 months, with the inches melting away and my body shape looks so much better. It is possible to build muscle while losing fat, I've dropped a lot of inches without dropping a lot of weight, which is because muscle takes up less space than the equivalent weight of fat. But, on average, I eat close to maintenance (around 250 deficit) and am happy to take a couple of years to lose the last 40lb.

My only regret, not focusing on strength sooner, my weight loss may have been slower but I might not have been dealing with the amount of loose skin I have right now and I might be even stronger.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    my target was 0,5 kg per week and I was losing 1,5 kg per month cant say isn't enough but cardio is difficult for me that's why I wanted to switch for weights since " the more muscle you have the more you burn " and yes everyone tells me about the look of pregnant and that makes me mad!!!

1.5kg, that's what, 3.3lb, which depending on how much you have to lose is a good, sustainable rate of loss. Remember, it's impossible to be exact about how many calories you are eating as well as how many you are expending and it's not that far off your target loss.
  • dpessoa
    dpessoa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds through weight training and only now am beginning to add in cardio. The key for me was reigning in my diet because I was eating way more calories than I thought I was. As I have built more muscle my metabolism has increased which allows me to eat more food and still lose weight, which is awesome! Don't listen to your trainer if they say you cannot lose weight strength training alone. If they believe that then they probably shouldn't have been hired as a trainer in the first place. Regarding your weight training focus on compound movements such as bench press, push press, squat, and deadlift as they will build the most muscle spread over your entire body. The more muscle you have the faster your fat loss will be. However, it is important to note that your weight loss will be slower because muscle is heavier than fat. But you will look better and feel stronger faster by doing so.
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Please take a minute to look at https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ and http://eatmore2weighless.com/
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm usually about an hour when I hit the gym. I split it mostly evenly between cardio and strength training. I eat at a deficit every day, and have lost 74lbs in a little under 8 months, so an hour can do the job. I'm no Adonis, but I am definately more muscular when I started, so, in my experience, one can add muscle while dropping fat.
    Another option is to see if you can pick up a used exercise bike or treadmill. They can usually be found fairly cheap. That'd let you do more weights at the gym, and cardio at home after the kid(s) go to sleep, if that is something that interests you.
    At the end of the day, as mentioned before, all you need to lose weight is the calorie deficit. Weights and cardio help improve overall health, and will let you eat a bit more while keeping the deficit.
    Good luck :)
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing 15 elliptical and 15 step then spending the other 30 mins on weight training, switching between arms/legs each day. You don't want to do both everyday. You can always do squats, jumping jacks, other cardio at home with kids during bathroom breaks or commercials (if you watch tv).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Look at your calorie deficit. If you're not losing weight it's because you're eating too much!

^^^ That's the #1 reason, you can run a full marathon every day and still not lose weight if you're eating too much. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, exercise is for fitness (studies have repeatedly shown that people who exercise on a regular basis are more likely to keep the wight off in the long term, but that could be correlation rather than causation)

Personally I'd recommend doing both, weights for strength and maintaining lean muscle mass & cardio for cardiovascular health.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Fire the trainer that says not to lift weights...

this, and not so much because i have technical opinions either way on what loses the weight. just on the general principle that someone you're paying to support your interests and goals should not be an asshat about you making a change to whatever they laid down for you.