What's your biggest waste of money related to fitness?

Options

Replies

• n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I ran a couple of ellipticals into the ground. I should have been running outside and bought a bike with the money. Live and learn.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ladyteapot wrote: »
    This is disappointing..I wanted a Fitbit :/ reviews seem to be bad
    @Spencerport I'm with you on the graze thing ..awful!

I am on my second and love it. Not all reviews are bad.
  • ladyteapot
    ladyteapot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did by a generic fitness tracker watch thing but I never used it ..I think I'd use a Fitbit
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ladyteapot wrote: »
    This is disappointing..I wanted a Fitbit :/ reviews seem to be bad
    @Spencerport I'm with you on the graze thing ..awful!

Do some research on it...you need to determine if you would actually benefit from its features. For me personally, it would be a waste of money as I don't do a lot of step based activity. It can also be beneficial to see how active or not active you really are...a lot of people seem to have issues judging this...for those type of people a Fitbit might be worth it as well.

You just have to determine if the features will actually fit with what you are doing and whether or not it provides the actual data you're looking to obtain.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I bought a treadmill 9 years ago, got pregnant and barely used it for the next 6 years, but for the last 3 years I've used it regularly (and continue to) so I no longer consider it a waste of money. Don't tell my husband, but I'd love to upgrade it to a nicer one :)

I joined the YMCA a year ago and it's pricey, but I think it's worth it.

My husband gave me a Jawbone (he got for free) and I loved it. I decided to upgrade and wasted $150! The upgrade was a complete waste of money - that stupid Jawbone broke 3 times within 6 months before I finally gave up and switched to a Fitbit. So far I've had the Fitbit for a year and it hasn't broken yet :)

There have been several pairs of running shoes I've wasted money on. Ones I've purchased online and didn't feel like bothering with returning. At $50-$100 per pair, it's not insignificant :( Hopefully, after donating someone gets some use out of them.

Oh yeah, I bought a really nice step (for step-aerobics), but never use it. Along with some fitness DVDs that I never use either... well, I used them a few times. I keep meaning to try and sell them...

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    lolis_DD wrote: »
    The number disappointed with the Fitbit are rather surprising. I've only heard good things about them.

I love mine, too. I have the One and I clip it on my bra. I think if I had a type that I wore on my wrist, I would find it annoying.

I have the One also, I have had it for over 3 years and never had a problem with it. I don't know how much it helps me lose weight, but it does make me move so I can get more steps.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    By far, bigger fitness equipment. We had a bowflex, which ended up never being utilized, as well as an indoor cycle. Both turned out to be a waste of money, as neither got used.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have wasted some money on running shoes that end up not being comfortable, but I do wear them still...just not to do any real workout in.

I have spend a lot of money to lose weight and get fit, I can't think of much that was a complete waste. My gym membership is used a lot and it's pretty cheap at $20/month. My personal trainer was well worth the money for me. Clothes is a necessity, but I probably have more than I really need...So I will go with that :)
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The Wii Fit was the biggest waste of money ever. I got a better workout from the sports games that came with the Wii (not that they were stellar workouts either).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because I can't think of anything... I use my gym and yoga memberships, I use all of the equipment that I've purchased...

My mom was the queen of health gimmicks (ab roller, thighmaster, gazelle glider, weight watchers, etc.) and I swore I would never end up like that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I use all of the exercise equipment I've bought, so I guess it's "fitness monitors" for me (I have too many of them!) - 1 fitness band, 1 GPS watch (old one), & 2 heart rate monitor watches (old ones).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Re the Fitbit: I am a little skeptical of most trackers because I just don't trust that companies with limited resources can just crank out complicated measuring devices.

i tested the microchip for a very early version of [product i'm not going to name]. may have been proof-of-concept/prototype work, actually. i will say that it wasn't fitbit, though.

granted, i'm nowhere near being an exercise physiologist so i made it clear all i could do was accept their equations the way they were defined, and test the inputs/results plus the general functionality - flow paths and downstream logic and such. but just thinking about the reasons why i had to be so clear about what i was NOT testing and what my pass/fail results could NOT be said to imply . . . that got me thinking about all the 'how would you even' implications in that grey zone.

that was more than a decade ago though. i know the product's on the market and they're not interested in having me test from my bedroom anymore, so i assume they have to have a much more formal qa process in place by this point. but, yeah. i'm pretty sceptical too. i don't think they lie, precisely. but i take it as given that they probably give only a very ballpark kind of idea.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My Orange Theory Fitness Membership. The workouts I do at home in own gym are so much better, every time I went I was so disappointed and ended up doing a second workout at home. But i wanted to like it because so many others did, eventually though I just stopped going because i was sick of being disappointed. Took me several months before I actually cancelled my membership, such a waste.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    i don't think they lie, precisely. but i take it as given that they probably give only a very ballpark kind of idea.

Step trackers only claim to give you a ballpark idea.

Here's a typical disclaimer that comes with many of them:

Garmin activity trackers are intended to be tools to provide you with information to encourage an active and healthy lifestyle. Garmin activity trackers rely on sensors that track your movement and other metrics. The data and information provided by these devices is intended to be a close estimation of your activity and metrics tracked, but may not be completely accurate, including step, sleep, distance, heart rate and calorie data. Garmin activity trackers are not medical devices, and the data provided by them is not intended to be utilized for medical purposes and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Garmin recommends you consult your doctor before engaging in any exercise routine.

So they're not lying, precisely or otherwise.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Not too much wasted on exercise related stuff.

Apart from various gym memberships that I didn't use much in the past, the only things I can think of right now are a pair of Harbinger rubber fat grips, a pair of wide Spud Inc. lifting straps and a pair of used Rogue farmer's walk handles that I haven't used since I bought them. Cost less than $200 for them altogether.

Don't like the feel of the fat grips and don't really need them to increase my grip strength. I've got other lifting straps that are more comfortable than the Spuds but it's good to have them for back up. And, don't walk w/enough wt yet to make use of the handles; using a trap bar for than now instead but they're there to use when I do need them.

So, the only wasted $ really is the $30 or so that I paid for the grips.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    The biggest waste of them all...

1. Herbalife with herbalife trainers who had no idea what they where doing...
    2. And let's not forget about the stupid waist trainer.. talk about over hyped and a dangerous thing!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Gym membership. Several, actually. I never went consistently to make it worth the money. I have gotten my money's worth from my used powercage & weight set up.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Swimmingpool aquarobics pass. I love aquarobics but I ended up with ear infection after ear infection.
    6 months of yoga membership - long story - loved/love yoga, just not with that particular place.

Both a case of life experience and shrugged it off
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a whole basement set-up of squat rack, bench, oly bar, and weights... but I figured out I really just prefer going to the gym for some reason. So it's a bit wasted, although I do use it when I can't make it to my gym.

Also I once completely wasted $60 on P90X dvds that I hated and used once. But I bought them at a yardsale and was able to resell and get my money back.

My husband wants to get us a home gym setup because he hates the gym - the hours he can go it's packed. I go at 5:30am and it's gloriously vacant. And my kids and dog don't find me.

He thinks if/when we get a home gym I will stop lifting at the gym. Sssssshhhhh - but.....he's wrong.