Trying to lose weight to join the Navy.

Options
sacoriah
sacoriah Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I am so grateful I found this forum! I'm trying to lose weight to get into the navy around March or April next year and need to lose 30 pounds. I lost 15 pounds but I slacked off and gained 8 back....So I'm pretty much starting over. It took me three months to lose 15 lbs. Anyone else looking to join the Navy and can you be a little over the required weight? I plan to lose 20 more pounds which still puts me over 167 (the required weight for my height) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @sacoriah Have you looked at the website http://www.navy-prt.com/ ?? Lots of good info. I am retired USAF. Find a support group here on the forums. There was a post just the other day from a young lady ( @adorkable244 )looking to join the Army...maybe you can "buddy up".
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can do it, did it myself many years ago lol, start running and if possible doing circuits, doesn't matter how fast you are going to start with but you are looking for constant progression, it'll put you in good stead for basic and the weight will fall off.
  • JDBoGray
    JDBoGray Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, wish more people would join. USMC took me 30lbs over which they snatched in boot camp lol. C25K app is good for new runners or returning. Sets you up for a 3 mile pace over 90days and it's a free app as well.
  • Tucker3306
    Tucker3306 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It won't take you long...you got this!
  • sacoriah
    sacoriah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jlgray1982 wrote: »
    Congratulations, wish more people would join. USMC took me 30lbs over which they snatched in boot camp lol. C25K app is good for new runners or returning. Sets you up for a 3 mile pace over 90days and it's a free app as well.

Really? I heard the most they'll allow is 20 over and as long as you can pass the fitness test
  • jyoneill
    jyoneill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Navy, but AF won't let you be over the weight limit at MEPS. You can do it!
  • JDBoGray
    Options
    This was also back in 2000 lots of things have changed including no tattoos below the elbow. So I would run with what your recruiter tells you. Besides the better shape your in the easier boot camp will go for you and your career period.

• JDBoGray
    Options
    I had no problem passing the fitness test before I went in. Wasn't the greatest but I passed.