recreational drug/aclcohol use

Options
hello everyone, i am hoping i can get alot of feedback and advice. i am wondering what everyones thoughts are on doing any sort of recreational drug use while lifting weights/trying to gain weight. i know that drugs are a no no for gains but how much does it really effect and how much effect will smoking marijuana and cigarettes effect it. i am currently lifting 5 times a week and eating 4 meals a day but how much difference will my at home decisions affect me. i dont drink very often but i would like to know that to and im hoping other people are interested

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will have any effect at all on your ability to build muscle as long as you're doing your workouts and eating properly. Any drug will have side effects but they won't necessarily be related to your lifting. Also, expect your thread to be closed.
  • l1nc420
    l1nc420 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will have any effect at all on your ability to build muscle as long as you're doing your workouts and eating properly. Any drug will have side effects but they won't necessarily be related to your lifting. Also, expect your thread to be closed.

do they delete posts regarding these topics?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I assume seeing psychedelic flowers sprouting from the head of the goat stood watching your overhead press would negatively effect your chances of not dropping something heavy on your head.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Tobacco/nicotine are a definite no no due to their affects on metabolism and lung function. Cannabis on the other hand has several useful and medicinal properties when used responsibly. There is even a gym in California opening that openly promotes the use of cannabis either before, during or after exercise. For example, a strong indica could promote deeper levels of sleep for longer periods which assist in muscle recovery (your body repairs itself in the deepest stages of sleep). The cannibinoid CBD has been shown to have anti inflammatory properties among other benefits. I would not recommend smoking/ingesting cannabis and trying to lift weights, but do personally promote it as a recovery agent. 29 states have now legalized the medicinal use of cannabis and another 8 have it recreational as of this past election.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I assume seeing psychedelic flowers sprouting from the head of the goat stood watching your overhead press would negatively effect your chances of not dropping something heavy on your head.

Unless, of course, the goat is a good spotter.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cigarette on my way to the gym and light up on my way out :confounded: I'm sure my classes wouldn't have felt like death and gasping for air if i was a non smoker. I can't see how smoking either substance would make a difference in weight lifting gains, nor would the occasional drink??
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

a) Do not post messages that violate federal, state/provincial, or local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or is bound by NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

b) Posts which promote or encourage illegal activities, including, but not limited to, use of illegal substances, violence against others, and procurement of prescription drugs without a prescription, are prohibited.

c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

Marijuana use is currently illegal at the federal level, as well as many state and local levels, therefore discussions related to its usage are prohibited on MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
This discussion has been closed.