5 months of no results

Options
Ok, this may be a bit long but I'll try to keep this as concise as possible.

I started using MFP 2.5 years ago and had great results. I went from 160 to 130. After I graduated from college and moved back home by weight has been slowly creeping up. I'm currently around 148 and I absolutely hate it. I hate how I look, feel less confident, and feel like everybody is judging my weight. I've been overweight since I was about 9 and I'm tired of it.

Since June Ive really been trying hard to lose weight. I invested in a personal trainer for about 2 months and I started lifting weights for the first time. I didn't lose any weight but I contributed that to lifting for the first time. At the time I was eating about 1300 because my trainer suggested it. Now I'm trying to eat about 1400-1500 a day becaus I didn't feel good eating that little. I still work out about 3-4 days a week for about an hour each time. But I always seem to be gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. Can anybody help me?

Quick stats
24, female
5'2, 148 "larger" frame
Food scale is my best friend.
Work outs include 20 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of weight lifting
After every 3 workouts I do a cardio day
I exercise with a friend so we can keep each other accountable

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories? Try eating exactly 1500 calories a day but not eating back any exercise calories at all. I have better luck with that. You're short though so you may need to go lower in calories but start with 1500 and see how it goes for 1 month first. If no loss then drop to 1450 or 1400.

Make sure you're getting enough protein every day, especially since you are active, lifting weights, and in a calorie deficit. 100 grams a day is what I aim for (I'm 5'4" female 35 years old, workout 5 days a week). You may need a little more or a little less than that depending on your individual stats. But this is very important. You can check your macros in your food diary with the "nutrition" button at the bottom. Just out of curiosity what are you averaging right now for daily protein intake in grams?? Getting adequate protein was a total game changer for me.

Try to get plenty of sleep and reduce stress. Also don't eat foods that you have a sensitivity to- refined grains and alcohol make me bloat up and slow my metabolism big time.

Otherwise keep doing what you're doing. The exercise sounds good. You could try different forms of cardio to increase the intensity - like sprint intervals, or plyometric body weight exercises, or the stair climber - what do you do for cardio right now?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?

This. Please open your diary.

Do you use cups/spoons/eyeball portions, or do you use a food scale?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    While weight lifting CAN burn a lot of calories, it depends on your intensity. Also, muscle burns more calories than fat, so keep lifting!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Also don't eat foods that you have a sensitivity to- refined grains and alcohol make me bloat up and slow my metabolism big time.

No.

There's actually scientific reasons that alcohol does actually have a negative effect on metabolism and increases storage of calories as body fat. The gluten thing is probably just bloat but bloat & inflammation can cause the body to carry several pounds of weight as water retention.

It never hurts to clean up the diet when your goal is weight loss, especially is someone is struggling.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Honestly with your stats I think you need to reduce your intake. What does MFP give you if you set to .5 a week?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also don't eat foods that you have a sensitivity to- refined grains and alcohol make me bloat up and slow my metabolism big time.

No.

There's actually scientific reasons that alcohol does actually have a negative effect on metabolism and increases storage of calories as body fat. The gluten thing is probably just bloat but bloat & inflammation can cause the body to carry several pounds of weight as water retention.

It never hurts to clean up the diet when your goal is weight loss, especially is someone is struggling.

Yet, we don't even know if OP is accurately logging and 'portioning' her food.

And, we don't know if OP has any sensitivities.

Also, can you post some studies on alcohol vs metabolism?

Op stated that her food scale is her best friend - so I assume that means she is weighing all her food?

I only said she should avoid any foods that she has sensitivities too- if she doesn't have any that's great. If she does that might be something she might want to look into.

I'm not going to spend the time looking for studies but alcohol changes the way your body burns fat and causes fat storage rather than fat burning from food consumed while alcohol is in the system. It also lowers testosterone which is an important hormone for weight loss. It also causes bloat in lots of people which doesn't really have to do with metabolism but will cause weight gain on the scale. It's also a toxin which puts more stress on the body and stress causes weight gain... need I go on?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    What I'd like to know most is if OP is eating 1400 to 1500 calories PLUS eating back exercise calories or just 1400-1500 total?
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't really drink alcohol since I don't know the calories in it, I typically have about 2 drinks a month. I keep my calorie drinking to a minimum. I try to get at least 100 grams of protein a day, so protein is not an issue. I weigh almost everything I eat in grams so I know how much I'm having.

Throughout the day I also try to keep active, I have a fitbit and try to get 10k steps a day. I walk my dog several times a day, walking during my lunch break, and even walk in place while I'm at home to get in my steps. Most days my fit bit has me burning about 2100 calories, I know it's an estimate but I should still be losing weight even if it was off.

My weight lifting routine is also fairly intense. I've been increasing my weights as I've been doing my workouts. I only have a limited time to workout so I'm very intense during my workouts.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I don't really drink alcohol since I don't know the calories in it, I typically have about 2 drinks a month. I keep my calorie drinking to a minimum. I try to get at least 100 grams of protein a day, so protein is not an issue. I weigh almost everything I eat in grams so I know how much I'm having.

Throughout the day I also try to keep active, I have a fitbit and try to get 10k steps a day. I walk my dog several times a day, walking during my lunch break, and even walk in place while I'm at home to get in my steps. Most days my fit bit has me burning about 2100 calories, I know it's an estimate but I should still be losing weight even if it was off.

My weight lifting routine is also fairly intense. I've been increasing my weights as I've been doing my workouts. I only have a limited time to workout so I'm very intense during my workouts.

Well that eliminates a lot of possible factors, that's good. So how many calories TOTAL are you eating every day?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Again I would stick with one specific goal and not change it day to day based on exercise- and according to you TDEE & BMR based on your stats you should be losing weight if you are eating a total of 1400 or 1500 calories a day. You could safely drop it to 1375 and see if that is a better goal for you to achieve fat loss.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Total I mean, not after subtracting exercise. Do you log exercise into myfitnesspal?
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options

This thread is already too complicated. When you gave your height, weight and intake it was already obvious. HRM burns on your fitbit during strength training are going to be way, way over-estimated.

It's simple math. You're eating at maintenance. With 70 minutes of cardio seven days per week/15-18K steps per day, and weight training with elevated heart rate, I'm eking out about 1.5lb per week per week loss eating less than you are. I've got six inches of height and forty plus pounds on ya, too. This isn't a humble brag, I'm pointing out...it's in the math.

Dang girl! B)
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Yeah most likely daily calorie goal set too high or eating back too much exercise calories. I honestly wish people would just throw away their fit bits.. it always way overestimates calories.