• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    WOW.... some of these comments in here. SMH.... Sometimes people just want to exercise to feel good. Calorie deficit has not a thing to do with getting in some exercise time for health and sanity. I have not seen "excuses" mentioned, or any complaint. JUST a simple question asking for advice in exercising from home. It is these types of assuming and judgmental responses that drive people away from these forums. Does anyone think before posting an answer? I assume not. That being said......

And, who are you to scold? ;) Point that finger out and there are always three more pointing back at you. That being said....

The title, a question, is "How can l loose weight with 2 kids??", and then the question is furthered with how to get more exercise.

Answer to the OP: all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. No exercise is actually necessary. However, if you would like to exercise, have you thought of looking on You Tube for videos, or taking the kids for a long walk, or just turning on the music and dancing around with them? You can also do other exercises while they nap, or have significant other (or family member, friend) babysit them while you go do your preferred exercise.

I might ask you the same question! When people post for advice there is no need for the nasty comments and judgement. A simple question should not be met with an arrogant and condescending attitudinized. If a person doesn't have constructive advice why comment? SMH....

I agree that advice should be constructive. That said, I haven't seen a rash of nonconstructive advice in this thread.

Then I must be hearing some of these differently than you.

I think that you are. I would say go back and read them in a dispassionate tone and you'll see that the responses are not nasty or judgy. I'd especially look at the 11 that were posted before ThatUserName posted that people were being judgmental. None of them are rude. They are all informative and give useful and practical advice.

Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com
    It's about committing yourself. Don't be looking for excuses.

Sorry, sounds bitchy no matter what accent I put on it. Mixed in there is all kinds of good advice, but yes it is nasty and judgy and rude.

No. It is factual (she's not the only person with children who is trying to lose weight), and motivational in a direct way. I personally cannot stand pandering and mollycoddling (always wanted to use that word) telling me how hard something is. To me, that sounds like someone is telling me it's ok if I don't want to do it or if I'm not successful at it. I would far rather hear things like, "If you really want to do XYZ, don't just talk about it, don't make excuses, get off your kitten and do something about it". Some people prefer that softer approach and hand holding, but many need a swift kick and blunt feedback accomplishes it. That doesn't make the person delivering the blunt message rude, nasty or judgemental. It is a communication style that some people respond well to, and others not so much, but regardless, reading intent that isn't there, especially as an outsider and not whom the comment was originally intended for, is not helpful.

To the OP, if you are still reading along - it would be very helpful if you could provide more details about what specifically you need help with. Many of us here, myself included, have children (2 boys in elementary school), many of us work, some stay home, lots have figured out ways to work out at home, found ways to incorporate the children into our fitness schedules, etc. We have dozens of threads about how to be successful in achieving your goals (whatever those may be) using a variety of different methods - but in order to give you specific, relevant advice, people need to understand exactly what it is you are struggling with.

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WOW.... some of these comments in here. SMH.... Sometimes people just want to exercise to feel good. Calorie deficit has not a thing to do with getting in some exercise time for health and sanity. I have not seen "excuses" mentioned, or any complaint. JUST a simple question asking for advice in exercising from home. It is these types of assuming and judgmental responses that drive people away from these forums. Does anyone think before posting an answer? I assume not. That being said......

And, who are you to scold? ;) Point that finger out and there are always three more pointing back at you. That being said....

The title, a question, is "How can l loose weight with 2 kids??", and then the question is furthered with how to get more exercise.

Answer to the OP: all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. No exercise is actually necessary. However, if you would like to exercise, have you thought of looking on You Tube for videos, or taking the kids for a long walk, or just turning on the music and dancing around with them? You can also do other exercises while they nap, or have significant other (or family member, friend) babysit them while you go do your preferred exercise.

I might ask you the same question! When people post for advice there is no need for the nasty comments and judgement. A simple question should not be met with an arrogant and condescending attitudinized. If a person doesn't have constructive advice why comment? SMH....

I agree that advice should be constructive. That said, I haven't seen a rash of nonconstructive advice in this thread.

I think that you are. I would say go back and read them in a dispassionate tone and you'll see that the responses are not nasty or judgy. I'd especially look at the 11 that were posted before ThatUserName posted that people were being judgmental. None of them are rude. They are all informative and give useful and practical advice.

Not to be blunt, but you're not exactly the only one with children. Not sure what the issue is?
    If you're looking to lose weight - then make sure you have a calorie deficit. If you're looking to get fitter, then get out of the house and walk, cycle or run. Children like to be active too!
    And if for whatever reason you absolutely cannot leave the house, then look up exercice videos online. Try the 30 day shred, look up fitnessblender.com

Sorry, sounds bitchy no matter what accent I put on it. Mixed in there is all kinds of good advice, but yes it is nasty and judgy and rude.

No. It is factual (she's not the only person with children who is trying to lose weight), and motivational in a direct way. I personally cannot stand pandering and mollycoddling (always wanted to use that word) telling me how hard something is. To me, that sounds like someone is telling me it's ok if I don't want to do it or if I'm not successful at it. I would far rather hear things like, "If you really want to do XYZ, don't just talk about it, don't make excuses, get off your kitten and do something about it". Some people prefer that softer approach and hand holding, but many need a swift kick and blunt feedback accomplishes it. That doesn't make the person delivering the blunt message rude, nasty or judgemental. It is a communication style that some people respond well to, and others not so much, but regardless, reading intent that isn't there, especially as an outsider and not whom the comment was originally intended for, is not helpful.

To the OP, if you are still reading along - it would be very helpful if you could provide more details about what specifically you need help with. Many of us here, myself included, have children (2 boys in elementary school), many of us work, some stay home, lots have figured out ways to work out at home, found ways to incorporate the children into our fitness schedules, etc. We have dozens of threads about how to be successful in achieving your goals (whatever those may be) using a variety of different methods - but in order to give you specific, relevant advice, people need to understand exactly what it is you are struggling with.

So, in seriousness, you think those parts I bolded were intended as helpful?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Absolutely. If someone is to get offended by something like that, they need to find out WHY from within: "why is this upsetting me so much? Can I see this in a different light?". "Am I feeling upset over something else today"?

If it wasn't for bluntness/directness, I would never have got off my *kitten* do lose weight. these days, there is just too much 'awwww' and not enough direct advice. Even my doctor is blunt/direct with me. My husband, too. I truly do appreciate that people these does don't beat around the bush explaining something. Being direct saves a LOT of time and confusion, especially when it comes to text. Many occupations require one to be direct, especially those occupations that save lives.
  • Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options

Absolutely. If someone is to get offended by something like that, they need to find out WHY.

If it wasn't for bluntness/directness, I would never have got off my *kitten* do lose weight. these days, there is just too much 'awwww' and not enough direct advice. Even my doctor is blunt/direct with me. My husband, too. I truly do appreciate that people these does don't beat around the bush explaining something. Being direct saves a LOT of time and confusion, especially when it comes to text. Many occupations require one to be direct, especially those occupations that save lives.

Interesting. And diplomacy solves nothing, I suppose.

ETA: If it hadn't been for kindness, I'd never have gotten off MY kitten to lose weight. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other end of this. My kids are 18 & 22, but when they were infants, they were in their playpen or bouncy seat (those still legal??) while my wife and I exercised. And, during the warm weather we wore out a couple jogging strollers, and the kids loved it. We both gained a bit of weight thru that time, but it was due to what we were eating, not the lack of exercise. The more you do it, the more your kids become accustomed to occupy themselves while you're exercising. Is it going to be a GUARANTEED 60 minutes of peace for you? Absolutely not, but take the small wins and train your kids. Believe me, as they get older, it gets easier and better. And the grand win is that you instill in them the importance of exercise. Both my kids know how to work out and fit it in to their busy schedules. A gift we gave to them and they will hopefully pass along to their kids in the future.

Now, to the post above, even though the OP didn't ask about losing weight, the weight was in the original post. I assumed that due to weight being mentioned, that the intention of the exercise was to lose weight. If that is the intention, you lose weight in the kitchen (ie: calorie deficit) and you exercise for health. You need not exercise to lose weight, and there is no guarantee that if you do exercise that you will lose weight. A good exercise plan with a calorie deficit will help greatly in health and weight loss. Good Luck OP!

Yes it was mentioned in the Title, but the question was specifically how to exercise from home. The idea that exercise does not aid in weight loss is ridiculous to me. People preach it, but I don't buy it. You do burn energy when you exercise. For some people trying to maintain a calorie deficit with no exercise has them eating so little that they can't maintain diet alone.

People don't preach that it doesn't aid in weight loss...they simply state that it's not necessary for weight loss...which it isn't...I lost my first 20 Lbs just watching my diet. Of course exercise makes things easier...but aiding in weight loss and necessary for weight loss are two different things...that said, I do believe regular exercise is necessary for overall health and well being.

As to the OP...you have a myriad of options where exercise at home is concerned. There are about a million different exercise DVDs on the market as well as YouTube. My kids are 4 and 6 and I take them out on my bike using a tow trailer with pedals...when they were really young, my wife took them out on runs with a jogging stroller...you could invest in some kind of cardio equipment, etc...really, there are a myriad of options available to you.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Well, as I mentioned in my post, I don't think it is productive to try to read intent (or tone for that matter) in comments most of the time. If you want to know if they were intended as helpful, ask the person who posted that comment in the first place if that was her intent. Do I think it is helpful? Yes. If I were having a "woe is me, life is hard, I have two kids and can't find time to exercise so how am I ever going to meet my weight loss goals" moment (and I've been there, we all have been).... someone telling me I'm not the only person in this situation, stop making excuses and just do what you need to do would be exactly what I would want to hear.

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

Scrolling back it appears the nasty comments have been taken out. So you missed what was said that I commented about in the first place.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Absolutely. If someone is to get offended by something like that, they need to find out WHY.

ETA: If it hadn't been for kindness, I'd never have gotten off MY kitten to lose weight. ;)

If it hadn't been for bluntness. I'd never have gotten off MY *kitten* to lose weight

I always find it unnerving when people can only condemn actual advice that removes all pretext of excuses

And I say that as someone who didn't actually succeed in starting to lose weight until my youngest was 10. Not because I used any extra resources, time or skill to do so...just that I finally canned the excuses and removed the fads and focused on calories

Eat less than you burn and you lose weight

Sycophantic bambi-ism is not helpful to many

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Not every one is motivated by condescension, rudeness and judgement. I'l repeat this, the OP didn't make a single excuse. She asked how she can get some exercise at home. I don't see how all these conclusions can possibly be drawn from the title or the single sentence in the post. But I digress. I hope she was able to gather something useful from the few who actually answered her question. Carry on!
  • Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

If it hadn't been for bluntness. I'd never have gotten off MY *kitten* to lose weight

I always find it unnerving when people can only condemn actual advice that removes all pretext of excuses

And I say that as someone who didn't actually succeed in starting to lose weight until my youngest was 10. Not because I used any extra resources, time or skill to do so...just that I finally canned the excuses and removed the fads and focused on calories

I appreciate that you want to be spoken to differently than I do. And I understand that we have different opinions concerning diplomacy - (if I understand correctly that you are making the implication that diplomats are all sycophants). I suppose I mean talking in a direct way, without unnecessary and potentially insulting additions. Yes, I use unnecessary additions (in the other direction) to try to establish common ground and understanding, but I'll have to think over whether that's really beneficial.

edit to fix redundant words
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Not every one is motivated by condescension, rudeness and judgement. I'l repeat this, the OP didn't make a single excuse. She asked how she can get some exercise at home. I don't see how all these conclusions can possibly be drawn from the title or the single sentence in the post. But I digress. I hope she was able to gather something useful from the few who actually answered her question. Carry on!

I actually didn't see condescension, rudeness, or judgement in any of the posts. I saw direct, blunt feedback and encouragement to get past the excuses that tend to plague us all.

You are right that not everyone is motivated by the same communication style. I personally am motivated by the tough love, direct feedback approach. It seems you are saying there is no place for that style on these boards, simply because you don't care for it, and interpret it as rude, condescending and judgmental. I am saying that I would miss the no nonsense advice of people like @Sued0nim if everything on these boards was nothing but rah rah fluffy encouragement... so in order to have well rounded advice for whatever communication style is preferred, why should we only be stifling the one that you don't care for?
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2016
    Options

I appreciate that you want to be spoken to differently than I do. And I understand that we have different opinions concerning diplomacy - (if I understand correctly that you are making the implication that diplomats are all sycophants). I suppose I mean talking in a direct way, without unnecessary and potentially insulting additions. Yes, I use unnecessary additions (in the other direction) to try to establish common ground and understanding, but I'll have to think over whether that's really beneficial.

It is not diplomatic to assume that people can neither take nor benefit from the truth

It is patronising

I am actually implying that anybody who rails against factual responses to requests for help is speaking from an overly sensitive place where they haven't personally faced up to their own truths and culpability for their own physical state

I don't believe sugar coating as a modus operandi is generally effective ..I actually think it's a more harmful approach ..it is easy to support bad habits and ingrained failures

Personally, IMHO and IME

(Not connected to OP at all but to the issues you have brought into the thread)
  • Sara1791
    Options

It is not diplomatic to assume that people cannot neither take nor benefit from the truth

It is patronising

I am actually implying that anybody who rails against factual responses to requests for help are speaking from an overly sensitive place where they haven't personally faced up to their own truths and culpability for their own physical state

I don't believe sugar coating as a modus operandi is generally effective ..I actually think it's a more harmful approach

Personally, IMHO and IME

Have I done that?
  • Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options

It is not diplomatic to assume that people cannot neither take nor benefit from the truth

It is patronising

I am actually implying that anybody who rails against factual responses to requests for help are speaking from an overly sensitive place where they haven't personally faced up to their own truths and culpability for their own physical state

I don't believe sugar coating as a modus operandi is generally effective ..I actually think it's a more harmful approach

Personally, IMHO and IME

Have I done that?

"I am actually implying that anybody who rails against factual responses to requests for help are speaking from an overly sensitive place where they haven't personally faced up to their own truths and culpability for their own physical state"

and see now, I think that assumption is patronizing
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Holy derail Batman. :noway:
  • Sara1791
    Options

You are so right. I'm sorry. I'm out.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It is patronising

Personally, IMHO and IME

Have I done that?

"I am actually implying that anybody who rails against factual responses to requests for help are speaking from an overly sensitive place where they haven't personally faced up to their own truths and culpability for their own physical state"

and see now, I think that assumption is patronizing

Which is where we differ

My personal experience with weight and fitness, and my professional life in a totally different but somewhat excuse heavy field, have taught me the opposite

I do not say that excuses do not have true feelings and issues behind them. They generally do...poverty, of all types including financial, time and knowledge are true issues...but they lead to excuses...get rid of the excuses and one can accept, if not change the issues behind them. Only then do they stop having as much power over our behaviours
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Baby

Baby baby

Baby baby baby baby baby baby

Ovary twang

How are you? How was it? How's the gorgeous little one?

(Now that lady is a derail @Chef_Barbell)
  • n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'll abstain from the battle above...

Take walks - kids in a wagon. If they are a little older, I've had a blast doing frisbee golf with my little ones. We don't keep score, they don't throw very far, but we have fun. I also taught them how to rollerblade. I take them on walks to the library. Pushups are better with a kid on your back.

Use it as an opportunity to teach them how to be healthy. Show them a better way.

Weight loss will happen mostly on the diet side of the equation, hunger prevention is a great benefit from exercise.