Do you eat back all your exercise calories? Advice please!

Options
I tend to eat back all of them (because I don't want to feel deprived and trigger a binge - former binge eater here) but I'm worried that I shouldn't be as my deficit may be too small.

I've set my activity level to sedentary and calorie goal to 1200, I usually end up eating about 2000-2500 cals per day as I burn quite a lot...though I could be overestimating.

What has worked for you?

Replies

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually suggested to eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories and see how you go. If you're losing more than you set MFP up to at 50%, then eat more until you find your happy place.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    best thing is trial and error. Stick to a plan for a few weeks and gauge the results, then adjust as necessary.
  • snowybone
    snowybone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I imagine it's hard not to eat them all when they show up as calories remaining....I'm just like 'ooh, an extra glass of wine, I deserve it after working out!'
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of the accurate portion of my exercise calories. Having said that.. you just have to figure out what portion of yours are accurate for you.. everyone is different. I can safely eat back 85-90% of mine because I know the counts are that accurate. But I figured that over the period of months using the same HR strap and app to calculate those calories. If you are not sure how accurate your counts are, compare them to the manual entries or to other apps, and then eat back a percentage. If you are losing faster than anticipated over the next few weeks, eat back more of the calories to slow down the loss. It's that simple, but takes time.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    wonderful advice has been given to you here. If you can't stand to look at the extra calories log the exercise and put in 0 calories burned...many people do that, or give yourself the calories you are gonna allow yourself to eat...I always use the notes portion to add remarks if I have altered something in my food or exercise so if my stats change I can look back and see what I might have done differently.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Are you burning those 800-1300 extra calories through exercise alone? What are you doing exactly?
    If you are including various daily activities in your total (walking around at work, etc), then that should be reflected in your activity level setting, not logged as exercise. I'm not doubting you, just want to make sure you're using the app as it's intended and you can have the best chance of success.
  • snowybone
    snowybone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you burning those 800-1300 extra calories through exercise alone? What are you doing exactly?
    If you are including various daily activities in your total (walking around at work, etc), then that should be reflected in your activity level setting, not logged as exercise. I'm not doubting you, just want to make sure you're using the app as it's intended and you can have the best chance of success.

It's a combination of formal exercise like running or gym classes, and then walking using my phone to track how many miles. The amount I do varies a lot day-to-day which is why I set my activity level as sedentary and add in the exercise...I think it might be a better idea to change my activity level though, might help keep me more consistent!

Thanks for the responses!

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    snowybone wrote: »
    I tend to eat back all of them (because I don't want to feel deprived and trigger a binge - former binge eater here) but I'm worried that I shouldn't be as my deficit may be too small.

I've set my activity level to sedentary and calorie goal to 1200, I usually end up eating about 2000-2500 cals per day as I burn quite a lot...though I could be overestimating.

What has worked for you?

are you losing do this??? hard to imagine you could be consistently burning up to 1300 calories per day through exercise.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I used to eat half or so back and was fine, but now all of a sudden I can't eat any of them back or else I stop losing. I don't know whether it's age, impending menopause, being 50 lbs. lighter now or perhaps all three.
  • JessusaCavazos
    JessusaCavazos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know its pretty easy to encumber your calorie intake, so many things are high in calorie and low in fulfillment... eat lower calorie things that make you feel full, don't overstuff of course but feel full... find those foods that are low and tasty if possible which I've found it is :smile: have fun but remember to feel full so you don't feel the urge to overcompensate for these things.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have mu fitbit synced and eat back all or most of my earned calories.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The number your phone is giving you is an estimate of your TDEE. You will want to eat less than this if you are trying to lose weight, or more than this if you are trying to gain weight.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them and sometimes I don't. It just depends on my hunger levels and plans for the day. Sometimes I have to exercise just to work in a special meal (like thanksgiving).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, whynot? I don't gain eating excersize calories back, plus then I have all the necessary energy for everyday activities.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat most, if not all, of them back. Hasn't been a problem for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat all back of my fitbit related calories. I go by my weekly net average (meaning there are days where I overeat and days I undereat) and target a NET of 1500. I seem to be losing weight by this method.

I should add - I'm 5' tall and have only a few pounds to lose. I'm losing about a 1/4 lb per week which is about right for me. I'm mostly interested now in fitting into clothes better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,054 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, and only exercising a moderate amount ... I ate about half my exercise calories back.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Contrary to most above, I do not. I use my "cardio" calories to increase my deficit and have a good grasp on my TDEE.