1,000 Calories/Day

Options
I'm 19, 133 pounds, and 5'3. Short and stout. My goal is to eat about 1,000 calories a day, and I can eat 1,200 if I burn the extra 200 off. Coming from a background of disordered eating habits, this is the highest amount of calories I've ever eaten while trying to lose weight, so I'm not sure how well it will work or how quickly I will lose weight. Part of me even thinks this is W A Y too much for my body to be consuming for weight loss. I guess I really need to be reassured that this amount isn't too much. If it really is too much though then someone please tell me.

Replies

• _SalmonSultan_
    _SalmonSultan_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    It's not too much. In fact, it's likely not enough. Unless you're getting less than 4K steps a day (aka sedentary), you should be eating even more.

I'm actually pretty sedentary, I work a desk job. I try to go out and walk a 2-3 miles a day a few times a week, though.
  • _SalmonSultan_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP are you still in treatment for disordered eating? I know it can be scary to eat more, but what you're describing is still too low calories and talking about eating more only if you earn it through exercise sounds a little harsh as well.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals/day. You need more and should eat more than 1000 cals. How much were you eating prior to this, when you weren't actively trying to lose?

I'm actually not in any sort of treatment, as I was never officially diagnosed with anything due to lack of access to doctors and therapists, so it's just something I'm trying to do on my own. If I wasn't paying attention or anything, my caloric intake averaged about 800, but when I tried losing weight, I'd eat around 500 calories a day, and I'd fast one or two days a week. With the help of friends I realized I had a problem, and now here I am.

Edit: I'd also like to add that more recently, I suffer from binge eating, consuming up to 3,000 calories a day. I guess I have an 'all or nothing' sort of behavior.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I lose weight at 1200 calories. I am 5'1 and weigh over 150
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    ^^^this! 128 was the # on the scale when my doctor told me to stop trying to lose weight, since I was at a normal weight/BMI. I had a health scare right before that appointment and ended up in the ER. They basically decided I was not eating enough to fuel my workouts. The doctor didn't want to tell me not to work out, but he did tell me to try to bump my calories to 1800 (they had been about 1600 the week before.) His advice was more protein, more water, multivitamin, more calories in general. Adding a little more exercise to your routine might help you fell better about yourself. IDK, being more fit gives me more confidence!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1200 is the bare minimum. Deprive yourself of the nutrition you need and you might lose in the short term, but you won't be able to sustain it long term. You will lose muscle, bone, and even damage your hair and organs. Think about changes you can make for LIFE.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    NancyYale wrote: »
    1200 is the bare minimum. Deprive yourself of the nutrition you need and you might lose in the short term, but you won't be able to sustain it long term. You will lose muscle, bone, and even damage your hair and organs. Think about changes you can make for LIFE.

Your BMR is 1440 calories/day. BMR - the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. Eating less than this will harm your body. As Nancy said: "You will lose muscle, bone, and even damage your hair and organs. Think about changes you can make for LIFE."

Great, though that you are increasing your calories. It's a start that is for sure!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

What MFP needs is a flag button for misspelled spam with punctuation errors.
  • _SalmonSultan_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    NancyYale wrote: »

Great, though that you are increasing your calories. It's a start that is for sure!

Thanks, I feel like increasing my calories too much (even if it's a healthy amount) just won't be good for me. I guess I need to baby step this, because even 1,000 is A LOT for me. Maybe I'll be able to gradually work up to 1,200 and higher for healthy maintenance. It's hard work for me.
  • _SalmonSultan_
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Here's the thing, if you are already having difficulties with binging, restricting to 1000 calories a day can intensify this and send you into a cycle of feeling like a failure, blah, blah, blah. Been there. In fact I found 1200 to do the same thing for me. I'm a few years older than you (okay, more than double) and 5'2". I comfortably lose weight without feeling deprived or needing to stuff myself at 1600cal/day. I know you are nervous about the idea, but honestly my concern is that your plan is going to do the exact opposite of what you are wanting.

I'm not sure about you, but for me it's gonna take a lot to be mentally ready to eat that much...I want to work my way up there eventually...but I'm not sure today's the day.
This discussion has been closed.