Easiest Diet to Follow?

Options
I'm going to be getting married in April and of course I want to look my best. What diets have you found the easiest to stick with?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    IIFYM (if it fits your macros)

but at the end of the day - eating less than expenditure. but NOT 1200 cals. more than that.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I entered a 1 pound loss in mfp and stuck to my alloted calorie target each week
    Worked for me
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    All of the above comments. Also, start lifting weights. Not diet advice, but looking good isn't just about losing fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'll be the one sole dissenting voice so far, and say that it depends a lot upon the person, and that we really can only answer this statistically and personally, and not for you as an individual.

Personally, I do my best cuts on hyper restrictive, very focused diets. As soon as I start letting in foods that I like more, I find myself trying to rationalize higher daily intakes by attempting to increase activity as much as possible, in various forms, and it never ends well. Unfortunately, unless one is training for hours on end, their BMR is still going to be the largest chunk of their caloric burn through the day, and there's not much of anything that can be done to increase that, other than increasing body mass, which is kind of the opposite of what one is trying to do while cutting.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You should find a diet that is easy for YOU to stick with. For me, and I think for most people, that is NOT a "name" diet, but food you like in appropriate portions. Appropriate portions is easy - weigh and log and track intake and hit your calorie goal every day. (Food you like should also be easy.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    CI<CO
  • yamitenshi
    yamitenshi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The easiest to stick with is "eat what you like, when you like". Not very good for weight loss though...

But in all seriousness, this is very dependent on you personally. What worked for me was finding healthier (as in more filling and less calorific) alternatives to things I like, and tweaking the proportions to dishes. It's okay to eat a bowl of pasta, just fill it with less pasta and put more veggies in your sauce, that sort of thing. Find healthy, low-calorie meals with flavours you like. Eat more protein (fills you up like a madman and keeps you satisfied a lot longer).

Above all else, make sure you eat less than you burn. Be honest with yourself about how much you eat, err on the side of caution (if you're not sure if that was 1,5 or 2 tablespoons, enter 2 to be safe), and if you're not losing as much as you'd like, eat less (to a degree, you don't want to eat dangerously little).

And if you really have a problem with hunger (which I get, really, it took a lot of getting used to for me too), remember that you're not going to starve. That signal of hunger you're getting, that primal urge to eat, it's nothing more than your body getting less than it's used to - but your body is used to getting too much.

And if you can, work in a cheat day every now and then. It's easier to be good for two weeks if you know you can eat something nice but horribly calorific at the end. Just be wary - for some people this is easy, but for others it may be hard to get back to their regular diet after a cheat day.

All in all, it's a bit of trial and error, and you need to find what works for you.
  • Jellybewbie
    Jellybewbie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found is not to diet, just improve the way I eat. I walk lots, and I gym twice/three times a week and have found this has made me slimmer, and lost more fat that just food eating alone. I do calorie count too, which took a while to get used too, but it just means eating healthier foods.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food, go to the gym 4-5 times a week, started c25k, do a weight routine, and set my weight loss to 1 lb per week and marked myself as sedentary in mfp (even though I'm not). I have lost 40 lbs since July. You need to eat at a deficit and I sincerely hate fad diets as they aren't realistic for MAINTAINING the weight loss.
  • mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The easiest (and boringest for me) is eating the same foods every day and knowing exactly how many calories are in it. That way there is no room for fluctuations. If it helped me lose 1 pound the week before w/ no exercise, I know the results will be consistent.
  • Julia_yulia
    Julia_yulia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me at least, the easiest way to diet has just been CI < CO
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The one that puts you in a calorie deficit that you can stick to
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^ Best, most informative and useful post ever on MFP.

The easiest diet for me to follow has been setting a reasonable calorie goal, then eating the foods I enjoy within that goal and not complicating it by arbitrarily restricting or eliminating foods/entire food groups.

Soooo much this!

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It's best to think of it more as a lifestyle change than a diet. A diet is typically seen as a temporary state in which you lose weight, then return to your previous way of eating. Being on a diet, like this, is a good way to regain the weight you will have lost. Make small but meaningful changes to your overall eating pattern and make it sustainable. This will help you maintain your weight once you reach your goal.