Tips for not gaining over the holidays

Options
Hi there!

I wanted to see if anyone had some good tips for continuing to lose weight or at least maintain over the holidays. Last year I put on a solid few pounds from Thanksgiving to New Years and I don't want to repeat that. My biggest problem will be trying to say no to all the Christmas cookies and sweets!

Happy early thanksgiving to all! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 10 more lbs during Nov/Dec. The plan is to NOT gain my traditional 10 this year. I've stuck to a keto eating plan and have found some great recipes on Pinterest! Best part, I have a support team who shares recipes. Best plan for success is to pre plan it. Don't take the sweets off the plate, don't sabotage your success for constant indulgence. Find low cal/carb solutions. One of my favorites is currently whipped cream with pecans. A little pumpkin pie spice, and 60 calories of delight. Best of luck to you.
  • SamMarriottPT
    SamMarriottPT Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1 - Reduce Calorie Intake throughout the day to allow more calories for thanskgiving / christmas treats, that way you can stay on track

2 - Add additional volume to your workouts (extra sets, reps, exercises or sessions) to increase your daily calorie burn, giving you extra room for additional snacks or treats

3 - Increase your Calorie Intake to maintenance or just below, to give you extra macros for treats

Hope this helps!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Practice the principle of holiDAYS, not holiMONTHS. There are specific foods I want to eat during the holidays, so I eat those and avoid the calorie-dense stuff that doesn't matter as much to me. On Thanksgiving, I love mashed potatoes and I just like rolls, so I will probably skip the rolls. I love pumpkin pie, but I just like Christmas cookies, so those are easier to pass up. Don't eat things just because they look tasty -- be mindful of the stuff that matters the most to you and you will find it easier to meet your calorie goals.

you know i really like this actually. So easy to think "well i ate this mise will eat this to..." But just prioritizing what you want the most your satisfied and likely to remain in your limits
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Last year we did a large family hike on black friday. It was a great way to burn through some of the Thanksgiving extras and spend quality time together. My best advice is to try and find activities you enjoy to balance out time eating. Not only will you burn more but you arent snacking when you are up moving. Also, when you see all of the treat choose one instead of sampling them all. I'm a sucker for dessert but I don't let myself try every pie or cookie. Instead I pick one and thoroughly enjoy that one.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Whatever not eaten at my house the day after the holiday is sent with my dad and put out in the break room. No matter how much it's always gone before the first break. No temptation if it's not in the house.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have also made a personal goal to drop 10 from mid-Nov through Jan 1. I know that if I keep my goal centered in my mind, it will happen. The focus keeps me from going off diet. If you do, however, log it and move forward. Really, we all need a Christmas cookie; however, just one. =)
  • Laurakay2012
    Laurakay2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We run a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, that burns off a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Holiday food should come - not with a calorie count - but with a miles per bite count.

Seriously use the time during the holidays to focus on activity instead of eating. Take a family walk/hike, play some flag football, organize a family plank or push-up challenge.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Portion control for both food and drink AND learning how to say: "No, thank-you" and mean it. :)
  • RebekahAnn88
    RebekahAnn88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What if no thank you doesn't work? I have a sweet and very sensitive Mexican mother in law who will be devistated if I cut back from my used to be norm quantities of everything. She will be staying with us (along with all his family) for two full weeks and always does the cooking while in town... I've been stressing on what to do about it and figured it fits well in this thread
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What if no thank you doesn't work? I have a sweet and very sensitive Mexican mother in law who will be devistated if I cut back from my used to be norm quantities of everything. She will be staying with us (along with all his family) for two full weeks and always does the cooking while in town... I've been stressing on what to do about it and figured it fits well in this thread

You have to decide what is more important to you. Two weeks of not following your daily deficit....or your MIL's feelings. Sometimes you just have to sit someone down and tell them why you are not going to indulge as much or why you have/are making life-style changes for yourself. You can also "bank" calories over the course of each week to save up for a meal/day of higher calories.