Air-fryer...

Options
2»

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My aunt gave me her Emeril one that she got from QVC and I use it every day. I'm a vegan, so I have never made the fried chicken, but I love making crispy tofu in mine. I also make French fries and heat through veggie burger patties. So awesome when I don't want to crank up the oven.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My aunt gave me her Emeril one that she got from QVC and I use it every day. I'm a vegan, so I have never made the fried chicken, but I love making crispy tofu in mine. I also make French fries and heat through veggie burger patties. So awesome when I don't want to crank up the oven.

I don't eat tofu often but do like it. How did you prepare yours for the air fryer? I'd totally like to try that :smile:
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I bought one cos of this thread

And not cos I've ever wanted one before

I just wanted a new gadget
    I am also easily swayed and very tempted.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the air-fryer, but much more tempted by the Instant Pot. People are crazy for them! Haven't bought either... I am quite frugal, don't want to relinquish any more counter space, and have several other unused gadgets stored in boxes taking up precious storage space.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

I am also easily swayed and very tempted.

Same. That's how I came about a spiralizer, food scale and Ninja blender. It's also how I came thisclose to buying a timeshare. lol
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I was curious about the air-fryer, but much more tempted by the Instant Pot. People are crazy for them! Haven't bought either... I am quite frugal, don't want to relinquish any more counter space, and have several other unused gadgets stored in boxes taking up precious storage space.

Like I said before, a convection oven is the same thing as the air fryer.
    There is no substitute for Instantpot (pressure cooker). Get this :)

I do like the idea of cooking things that typically take all day in a shorter period of time. And the yogurt function is intriguing. We'll see. I have been told that Amazon discounts them heavily on Black Friday, so maybe that will push me over. What's your favorite use for it? I'd probably want to try ribs first.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I do like the idea of cooking things that typically take all day in a shorter period of time. And the yogurt function is intriguing. We'll see. I have been told that Amazon discounts them heavily on Black Friday, so maybe that will push me over. What's your favorite use for it? I'd probably want to try ribs first.

I've had an InstantPot for a year and a half, and love using it. I use the yogurt function most of all honestly, I make yogurt weekly. It makes great rice and lentils, does a great job with pork butts, braised ribs, chili, anything you can think of.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot. Took salmon out of the freezer when I got home, popped it in the pot, made pasta and sauce (from scratch) while it was cooking, and was sitting down to dinner 10 minutes later.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Right so fries are pretty decent as are butternut squash chips

What else?

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Love my airfryer(not just because i work for philips either haha). It makes fries almost as good as if you fried them in oil, and so much better than if you baked them. Chicken wings are great in it too. Use it all the time.
  • bwhitty67
    Options

Keep in mind some of us don't have a convection oven so this smaller version will be fine. :smile:
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot. Took salmon out of the freezer when I got home, popped it in the pot, made pasta and sauce (from scratch) while it was cooking, and was sitting down to dinner 10 minutes later.
    Well now I want one of those, too. :)
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What the hell is an "air fryer"? Is it like a dehydrator?
  • honeydewmelan
    honeydewmelan Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Visicook Airfryer. I love it. Comes with basket to rotate items and a skewer attachment for if you wanted to do anything that way also.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    All I want to know is if it's any good for making french fries.

Decent.

In my opinion it's faster than an oven, slightly better than an oven as far as how the fries turn out (at least for me) but it's not quite as good as actually frying them.

Perfect description! I love mine! got mine at walmart for $80
  • sasaar
    sasaar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anyone try using Japanese sweet potatoes in one?
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    Got it!! Made great baked potatoes... so much better than firing up the oven. Also, made meatballs in it, delish.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Try craigslist....I got one for $25 from a lady that was moving to Australia and didn't want to take it with her

I use it to pressure cook meats and soups, make bone broth, saute, steam veggies etc
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My dad has a Big Boss and it's GREAT. It's not exactly the same taste as frying things, but it's the next best!