After 50 consecutive days on this journey so far .. Recognizing my biggest problems #NeedAdvice

Options
Four biggest problems I'm still having:
1.emotional eating - I tend to binge crazy when I'm lonely and/or stressed out

2.consistent in working out - past 3 weeks I've only did inside walks and a couple big workouts such as cut grass,rake yards and wash cars.

3.Eating healthier on consistent basis - One day I could do real solid such as eating veggies,fruit and balance dinner then next day I go straight binge crazy with chips or high processed meat

4. Controlling portions - Still having a tough time in eating in moderation. I still choose 2 or 3 pieces of chicken or meatloaf as oppose to just one

Replies

• HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 50 days of mindfulness! Seriously, it's tough sometimes to recognize our biggest stumbling blocks-- and then own up to them. But shining a light on our flaws can feel overwhelming.

Why not try taking them on one at a time? Focus on changing one of those for two weeks. Choose the one you think you can be successful with for those two weeks, and give yourself some slack on the others.

In two weeks, reassess: do you feel you've got that one nailed and can you add another, or do you need to just keep focusing on that one for another two weeks?

Onward!
    Congratulations on 50 days of mindfulness! Seriously, it's tough sometimes to recognize our biggest stumbling blocks-- and then own up to them. But shining a light on our flaws can feel overwhelming.

Why not try taking them on one at a time? Focus on changing one of those for two weeks. Choose the one you think you can be successful with for those two weeks, and give yourself some slack on the others.

In two weeks, reassess: do you feel you've got that one nailed and can you add another, or do you need to just keep focusing on that one for another two weeks?

Onward!

thank you so much for giving me a strategy on how to approach my obstacles
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Sometimes self awareness is the most elusive part, but it sounds like you have that figured out. Good job on that and for staying with it 50 days. Good advice ^^ to take them one at a time. An observation about myself and binges is if I restrict too much or too long, I am a binge waiting to happen. The only way I could break the binge restrict cycle was to stop excessive restriction. I don't know if your experience has any similarities, but I'll just put it out there. Best of luck to you.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Sometimes self awareness is the most elusive part, but it sounds like you have that figured out. Good job on that and for staying with it 50 days. Good advice ^^ to take them one at a time. An observation about myself and binges is if I restrict too much or too long, I am a binge waiting to happen. The only way I could break the binge restrict cycle was to stop excessive restriction. I don't know if your experience has any similarities, but I'll just put it out there. Best of luck to you.

Thank you and I believe my biggest problem is I eat so small during mother and day.When it comes to dinner I go on a scary binge or huge portions as dinner.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Following on from the other posts on mindfulness, can I recommend a feelings diary. You can use the MFP notes if you want.

Record how you feel when you are starting to think about bingeing, how do you feel during a binge and how do you feel after? Are you bored, stressed, tired, maybe thirsty? Do you really want something else, but food is filling a hole, or are you just hungry, too hungry to know when to stop?

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Don't rule out foods for being " bad". Focus on hitting your calorie goal first and you will naturally start making healthier choices as you go because you will have to decide what is and is not worth the calories . Like volume? You'll end up eating more vegetables. Just don't restrict from foods you love because for a lot of people that leads to an eventual binge
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Following on from the other posts on mindfulness, can I recommend a feelings diary. You can use the MFP notes if you want.

Record how you feel when you are starting to think about bingeing, how do you feel during a binge and how do you feel after? Are you bored, stressed, tired, maybe thirsty? Do you really want something else, but food is filling a hole, or are you just hungry, too hungry to know when to stop?

I believe that is a great idea and I will get that a week of writing my feelings
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh and log your binges. It will help to be accountable and understand weight trends
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Oh and log your binges. It will help to be accountable and understand weight trends

Thank you
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    When you are bored or stressed and want to binge, go do something physical. Go for a walk, start lifting weights, head to the gym, put on some music and dance. Change the habit to something more positive.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    When you're ready to work on portion sizes, try pre-logging your meals. It's amazingly helpful to have your day or week already planned out, for some reason -- it makes it much easier to take your portion and stick to it. It's also reassuring because when that binge thought process starts up and you're thinking "what else can I eat, when can I eat again, what can I have, gotta have something" you know exactly when and what you'll eat next.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    When you're ready to work on portion sizes, try pre-logging your meals. It's amazingly helpful to have your day or week already planned out, for some reason -- it makes it much easier to take your portion and stick to it. It's also reassuring because when that binge thought process starts up and you're thinking "what else can I eat, when can I eat again, what can I have, gotta have something" you know exactly when and what you'll eat next.

Yes I agree and I need to make a grocery list and come with it. Thank you for the knowledge
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps with portion control to always eat standard full sized servings - no supersized servings or seconds but no skimpy diet sized servings either. It helps psychologically that I don't feel that I'm depriving myself. I'm just eating what "normal" people eat. It also helps to retrain my eyes and my stomach to recognize a normal sized serving when I see it and to be satisfied with it, which makes maintenance easier.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Rosyone wrote: »
    I find it really helps with portion control to always eat standard full sized servings - no supersized servings or seconds but no skimpy diet sized servings either. It helps psychologically that I don't feel that I'm depriving myself. I'm just eating what "normal" people eat. It also helps to retrain my eyes and my stomach to recognize a normal sized serving when I see it and to be satisfied with it, which makes maintenance easier.

Thank you so much knowledge.. I will learn to use smaller plates so I will be forced to eat smaller portions
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I believe my biggest problem is I eat so small during mother and day.When it comes to dinner I go on a scary binge or huge portions as dinner.

I have routinely skipped breakfast most of my life and have been known to skip lunch here and there too. It always contributed to my weight problem.

I know some people purposely eat lighter at breakfast and lunch to save a lot of calories for dinner, but I find I get too hungry that way. I eat a good sized breakfast and lunch so by dinner time I'm hungry, but not starving.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    everher wrote: »

I have routinely skipped breakfast most of my life and have been known to skip lunch here and there too. It always contributed to my weight problem.

I know some people purposely eat lighter at breakfast and lunch to save a lot of calories for dinner, but I find I get too hungry that way. I eat a good sized breakfast and lunch so by dinner time I'm hungry, but not starving.

Unfortunately im in a household where there's several mouths to feed and very few food so I'm screwed on that tip. I'm stressed out and just need to take my days one section at a time