Protein Bars

Options
thegoya
thegoya Posts: 100 Member
I'm looking to find a protein bar with very high protein, very high fiber, low net carbs, low sodium, no sugar including artificial and all natural ingredients. Any serious suggestions? TIA

Replies

• Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Recommend making them yourself.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Some Quest flavours use stevia as the sweetener, if you eat that, and they fit your other needs.

But seriously, if your requirements are that specific, why not make your own? There are a million recipes on the internet, they're mostly very simple and no-bake, and you can put exactly what you want in them. Otherwise I think the above poster is correct and you might be better off choosing something in non-bar form.
  • thegoya
    Options
    Thank you kommodevaran. I agree that tuna is a great source of protein; I love it. I'm trying to simplify things actually...tuna on rye has virtually no fiber and the need for a bar when I need it is essential and therefore I would want one that meets my needs.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ha ha..good luck finding a bar that meets all that criteria! Personally I favor GNC's Total Lean Bar - Vanilla Birthday Cake
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder's Bars are pretty good. 275 calories or so with 20g of fat and a bunch of vitamins and minerals and no artificial crap in them. Can be kind of pricey if not on sale.

You can make your own much cheaper. I make my own now and then. Just need some scoops of protein powder (I like Jarrow unflavored, no junk in it), some oats, peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, and skim milk. Mix all that stuff together in a bowl with your hands, then roll it out on some crushed flax seed on aluminum foil, then put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes and you're all set. Taste pretty good and no junk in them either. You can increase/decrease the protein grams based on how many scoops of protein powder you want to dump in. 20-25g per bar is pretty easy to do without the calories getting too high.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the closest to your needs that i can think of, or just make your own. There are loads of recipes on the net.
  • michlyn76
    michlyn76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the pure protein bars. 3grams of sugar. High in protein. 180-200 calories depending on the kind.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Yup. Quest or the Oh Yeah! One bars or Combat Crunch for the protein and fiber fix.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Every high protein, high fibre bar that I know of uses a form of artificial sweetener in the form of vitafibre and oglifructose to a, get the fibre content in the bar and b, to sweeten it without the use of refined sugars. What you want I'm not sure even exists.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Probably going to have to make yourself... but I have never seen a bar to fit all the criteria. I prefer quest or cliff bars though.
  • thegoya
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I found a bar that I think comes very close to all my criteria and has very clean ingredients... B-Up... www.yupbrandscom ...very similar to Quest (maybe a little cleaner).
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Example ingredients:

B-UP CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH

INGREDIENTS: Prebiotic Dietary Vegetable Fiber, * Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Almonds, Palm Fruit Oil, Chocolate, Xylitol, Cocoa Butter, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Powder (Dutch Alkalized), Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, are those OK with you?

How do you define clean? There are a lot of ingredients on that list that I personally would not consider "clean" or "natural" but I know these don't have widely accepted definitions. (And for sure the list looks a lot better than many bars!)
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Pretty good bar, although yes it uses Xylitol as a sweetener and also the main ingredient, the prebiotic dietary vegetable fibre, is vitafibre (imo aka isomalto-oligosaccharide), a soluble fibre that is also used as a sweetener
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    thegoya wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I found a bar that I think comes very close to all my criteria and has very clean ingredients... B-Up... www.yupbrandscom ...very similar to Quest (maybe a little cleaner).

So when you said no sugars you meant very little sugar or no added sugar? I'm a little annoyed now because I took your OP at face value and I feel like I wasted my time trying to find something that fit those criteria for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Clif Builder's Bars are pretty good. 275 calories or so with 20g of fat and a bunch of vitamins and minerals and no artificial crap in them. Can be kind of pricey if not on sale.

You can make your own much cheaper. I make my own now and then. Just need some scoops of protein powder (I like Jarrow unflavored, no junk in it), some oats, peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, and skim milk. Mix all that stuff together in a bowl with your hands, then roll it out on some crushed flax seed on aluminum foil, then put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes and you're all set. Taste pretty good and no junk in them either. You can increase/decrease the protein grams based on how many scoops of protein powder you want to dump in. 20-25g per bar is pretty easy to do without the calories getting too high.

They're delicious and high in protein (I eat them myself), but they also have 20 grams of sugar.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I used to love Quest bars, until they changed from IMO to soluble corn fiber last summer. The corn fiber plays havoc with my digestive system (TMI); despite several months of trying, I never did adapt. Sampled the B-Up bars--not bad, better texture but a more protein-y aftertaste. Combat Crunch has a few more carbs, a little more sugar, but still overall decent.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Robert Irvine's Fit Crunch bars are fabulous! Chocolate Peanut Butter. Delicious with a bit of crunch, 190 calories and 16g of protein!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    thegoya wrote: »

I just bought the sugar cookie, cookie dough, and chocolate mint of those. The only ones I can stand to eat are the chocolate mint. Just FYI.