The last few lbs...

Options
I need help from people who have success stories of loosing those last few (very stubborn!!!) pounds. I'm proud of myself for what I've accomplished, but I haven't technically reached my goal, I'm 3 lbs away and nothing is budging. In fact, most of the time I'll gain a few lbs, freak out for a day or two, then I'll be back down to where I was. I don't know what to do! HELP!!

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    bump!! I also have the last 5 pounds or so to go, and have tried cycling, eating exercise calories, not eating them, high protein, low carb, etc. and cant get rid of those last few pounds. Since starting MFP in feb. I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds. Very frustrating!!!
    Hope someone can offer some tips!!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow -- I'm in the same boat. I'll be anxiously waiting to see how folks reply :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    First, have you reset your goal to lose .5 lbs per week? If not, you should. You want a very small deficit when you have only a few pounds to lose.

Unfortunately, a very small deficit means you have to be very vigilant about logging correctly and accurately--exercise and food. You also have less room in your diet for crap (even though you have more calories), so if you're eating more than 10% of your daily calories in processed foods, alcohol, sweets, etc., try reducing the quantity of that food.

You amy also need to step up the intensity of your workouts. You don't necessarily have to spend more time, just hit it harder.
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the same boat- gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, but only 4 pounds away from my goal. Sorry I can't offer advice, just waiting to see if anyone has any.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I managed to get the last few pounds off by switching to lose a half pound a week, rather than a pound. Feed to succeed!
  • rockstarmike000
    Options
    The last pounds are supposed to be the hardest to lose. Mostly, this is due to the body being very thin, which means the metabolism has slowed down. In order to lose more, it takes even less calorie consumption than normal, even more cardio than normal, and it will generally take longer to lose than normal. If you've only got 5 or ten pounds, it could take weeks or even months to get them down. While this is natural, its also pretty annoying lol. Try bumping up your cardio, cutting out muscle-gaining workouts (just until you lose the weight), and eating healthier versions of your favorite foods.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I totally agree with Atlantique.

The closer you get to "the end" the more you have to take tight control. Make sure you are eating "clean" unprocessed foods....and watch those calories. Just a little bit over here and there will make all the difference between staying stuck or losing, albeit slowly.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The last pounds are supposed to be the hardest to lose. Mostly, this is due to the body being very thin, which means the metabolism has slowed down.

No, your metabolism has not necessarily slowed down unless you have been habitually undereating and/or have lost a great deal of muscle. The weight comes off more slowly as you approach your ideal weight as you simply have fewer fat stores.
    In order to lose more, it takes even less calorie consumption than normal, even more cardio than normal, and it will generally take longer to lose than normal.

Nope. If you're doing this correctly, your calories are slowly creeping back up as you get close to your ideal weight because you have reduced your calorie deficit. If you continue to increase the calorie deficit, you'll run into big problems because you are starving yourself.

Increasing your cardio is not the ticket to additional fat loss, although it will and often does increase muscle loss. at this point, it's important to add resistance training if you haven't already done so.

The only truth to what you are promoting here is that a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger one to stay alive.
    If you've only got 5 or ten pounds, it could take weeks or even months to get them down. While this is natural, its also pretty annoying lol.

True.
    Try bumping up your cardio, cutting out muscle-gaining workouts (just until you lose the weight), and eating healthier versions of your favorite foods.

Disagree with all of this except cleaning up your diet.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I am 3lbs from goal - my calories don't change regardless of what I set my goal to 0.5lbs, 1lb, 2lbs !!!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    First, have you reset your goal to lose .5 lbs per week? If not, you should. You want a very small deficit when you have only a few pounds to lose.

Unfortunately, a very small deficit means you have to be very vigilant about logging correctly and accurately--exercise and food. You also have less room in your diet for crap (even though you have more calories), so if you're eating more than 10% of your daily calories in processed foods, alcohol, sweets, etc., try reducing the quantity of that food.

You amy also need to step up the intensity of your workouts. You don't necessarily have to spend more time, just hit it harder.

Wise advice. The last time I was down to 5 lbs to lose, it came down to the "less room in your diet for crap" in order to lose it. I had to give up the milk and sugar in my coffee, stuff like that.
  • marisa67
    marisa67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Such a similar story to mine, I only have a few kgs to go. I usually lose a bit then gain it again etc......
    Similar to Carnat22, my calorie goals don't change even if I do change my weight loss goals.
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice from all - as usual, all you MFP guys and gals rock!!! I've been struggling for months to shift my last 8lb ish! Going to change my weekly goal to 1/2lb loss and pay more attention to 'what' I'm eating rather than just making sure I'm under my calories!

Thanks all :flowerforyou:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have dropped my loss to .5 per week, and still not losing?? I was thinking I should workout more, but I will only end up with more of a defecit. I am currently doing p90x, and prior to that did insanity, and prior to that ran 6 days per week. All this time no loss, just up and down. I am wondering if my fat intake is too high. I eat "healthy fats" from nuts, flax, etc, but my daily percentage is usually 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat. When I go up to much on protein I end up with bowel issues...SO frustrating!! I eat clean, no processed foods, and drink 90+ ounces of water every day.....
  • rockstarmike000
    Options
    The last pounds are supposed to be the hardest to lose. Mostly, this is due to the body being very thin, which means the metabolism has slowed down.

No, your metabolism has not necessarily slowed down unless you have been habitually undereating and/or have lost a great deal of muscle. The weight comes off more slowly as you approach your ideal weight as you simply have fewer fat stores.
    In order to lose more, it takes even less calorie consumption than normal, even more cardio than normal, and it will generally take longer to lose than normal.

Nope. If you're doing this correctly, your calories are slowly creeping back up as you get close to your ideal weight because you have reduced your calorie deficit. If you continue to increase the calorie deficit, you'll run into big problems because you are starving yourself.

Increasing your cardio is not the ticket to additional fat loss, although it will and often does increase muscle loss. at this point, it's important to add resistance training if you haven't already done so.

The only truth to what you are promoting here is that a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger one to stay alive.
    If you've only got 5 or ten pounds, it could take weeks or even months to get them down. While this is natural, its also pretty annoying lol.

True.
    Try bumping up your cardio, cutting out muscle-gaining workouts (just until you lose the weight), and eating healthier versions of your favorite foods.

Disagree with all of this except cleaning up your diet.

As you get thinner, the metabolism does slow down. Just enter a lower weight into this website and you'll notice the calories drop. Bigger people do, in fact, have higher natural metabolisms. They need to have them in order to process all the excess food that may go in their bodies. Its completely natural that the less food you put in your body, the slower your natural metabolism becomes. You can certainly exercise to boost your metabolism, or to try and burn calories as a sort of surrogate metabolism, but those things only help temporarily because the natural metabolism slows down as weight gets lost. Doing muscle training is great, but it can easily be misinterpreted in the scale as weight gain. Going for a few weeks without it won't cause any harm. Bumping up the cardio is necessary when the body becomes used to the normal routine, which may have happened with her (beats any of us, we're not her). Cutting out muscle-gaining workout helps keep the scale from looking confusing, which can be very discouraging when there's only 5 pounds on the line. This advice wasn't for you, it was for the topic poster. I don't really care whether you disagree or not, because I'm not commenting on your post. I'm simply giving some helpful options. If she tries them and they work, great, if they don't, I didn't understand her situation well enough, if she doesn't try them, oh well. The things that work for me or you won't work for everyone. Even if they did, its the internet. No one's going to take unwarranted criticisms and say "oh wow, you're totally right, thanks for changing my obviously incorrect mind."

"The only truth to what you are promoting here is that a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger one to stay alive"

Do you really think a 200 pound guy needs to eat more than a 150 pound guy to even wake up the next morning? I know he needs to eat more to maintain his current weight, but in terms of basic survival? Not even close to being what I said, or true.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    I am pretty strict about eating clean, the only fats i have are usually from nuts or peanut butter. I think I may need to switch up my exercise? Right now, I try to get to the gym 6 days a week, and I usually do cardio and strength training for about an hour (strength training every other day). I feel like I'm doing the right things but just stuck.

I may not be eating enough as it is now, I haven't changed my goals to .5 a week, but a lot of the times I don't eat all my calories at my goal of 1 lb a week so wouldn't that create more of a deficit? Sometimes I just get to the end of the day and I have a bunch of calories left over... could that really be what is slowing me down?
  • rockstarmike000
    Options
    I am pretty strict about eating clean, the only fats i have are usually from nuts or peanut butter. I think I may need to switch up my exercise? Right now, I try to get to the gym 6 days a week, and I usually do cardio and strength training for about an hour (strength training every other day). I feel like I'm doing the right things but just stuck.

I may not be eating enough as it is now, I haven't changed my goals to .5 a week, but a lot of the times I don't eat all my calories at my goal of 1 lb a week so wouldn't that create more of a deficit? Sometimes I just get to the end of the day and I have a bunch of calories left over... could that really be what is slowing me down?

Could be. Metabolisms act kind of unexpectedly sometimes. I've heard "surprising" the metabolism can help lose weight (eat and work out a lot one day, don't eat or work out a lot the next). That could explain how eating more food caused you to lose weight too. Or maybe you're eating too little and that slowed down your metabolism a bit too much. 5 pounds can be hard to lose since its such a little goal with so little room for error, but don't be afraid to try out new exercises and switching up the diet. The body usually reacts to new things pretty dramatically, so theres a good chance it will help.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I am 3lbs from goal - my calories don't change regardless of what I set my goal to 0.5lbs, 1lb, 2lbs !!!

How tall are you CARNAT22?
    My guess is that you are already well within the healthy BMI range for your height.
    Make sure your goal is an appropriate BMI for your height and not so low that it's unrealistic to achieve or maintain. (if you go so low that you can't maintain, odds are you'll end up gaining back plus some. So you diet again, which gets you started on the yo-yo cycle making it harder and harder to lose weight each time you try... it's counter productive)

If you goals weight falls well within your healthy BMI range.
    Try giving yourself a range with 1200 calories as your rock bottom, the lose .5 lbs/wk as your target and maintain goal weight calories as the top of your range maintain current weight calories as your in case of emergency safety valve)

Good Luck, keep healthy and strong.

Sorry CARNAT22 I just saw your height in your signature. You are well with in the healthy range as is your goal. So good for you.
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm in the same boat. I'd like to lose about 7 more pounds, but I think I might be stuck. I really haven't lost any weight for about 2.5 weeks (but haven't gained any either). I'm at a healthy BMI, but I still want to lose more. I'm watching my calories and I've been trying to intensify my workout (I run 4-5 days/week incorporating hills) but it's kind of hard because I already feel like I'm killing myself. I'm also doing some weight training, though it's pretty limited.
    Thanks everyone for the advice, and good luck to all those who are trying to lose those last few pounds : )
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel, I am killing myself doing these workouts and I'm getting discouraged seeing no weight loss for weeks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The last pounds are supposed to be the hardest to lose. Mostly, this is due to the body being very thin, which means the metabolism has slowed down. In order to lose more, it takes even less calorie consumption than normal, even more cardio than normal, and it will generally take longer to lose than normal. If you've only got 5 or ten pounds, it could take weeks or even months to get them down. While this is natural, its also pretty annoying lol. Try bumping up your cardio, cutting out muscle-gaining workouts (just until you lose the weight), and eating healthier versions of your favorite foods.

This isn't true or at least from all the research I have done so I will respectfully disagree with you. The only way that your metabolism has slowed down is if your basal metabolic rate (BMR) has decrease. These are the essential calories which your body will end up burning while sleeping. Now, I will say, if during your weightloss, you lost a lot of muscle, then this will be the case. In most instances, people tend to gain muscle during the weightloss process.

During the last five or ten pound, increasing lean body mass (or the amount of muscle to fat ratio) is more critical. This is also in part to why people have to eat more. Increase muscle mass, means more calories need to be consumed to fuel muscle growth. This means, you dont' need to increase cardio, but rather strength training. But in reality, you truely need 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training. The biggest thing to do is change up your routine every 30 days as your body can adjust.

The problem with increasing cardio is simple. One your deplete the calories from your fat cells, it will attack the muscle's proteins to maintain fat storage (or from what I have read). The end result is smaller muscles. Smaller muscles means a lower BMR and a slower metabolism.

Below is my approach on calculating caloric needs and ensuring you are eating enough.

Here is my perception on the matter. I actually use this site just to track my calories. I use a different method to determine how many calories I should be eating and suggest it to many. According to this website, if you use their calculations, if you workout and burn 300 calories, than you should eat an extra 300 calories that day because the site has already built in a deficit for you. The more you have to lose the bigger an acceptable deficit is but the closer your goal is, the smaller your deficit should be. This is because the more muscle you have, the lower the body fat, the more fuel you body needs to sustains it's functions. Also, a deficit is should never been more than 1000 calories a day (which would allow for 2 lbs per week loss) but it more acceptable to do 1 lb a week or 500 calorie deficit. Additionally, a woman should eat not less than 1200 net calories. This is the amount of calories after you workout. So if you burn 500 calories, you need at least 1700 calories; men should be no less than 1500-1700 after workout calories from my research. Also, a large part of these calories should be driven by protein based sources. The ammino acids in the protein is what stimulates muscle growth. The more muscle your body has, the more calories you burn at rest.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I then go into a custom setup under my goals and set my daily intake for 3000 calories (well I will starting sunday, right now it's 2800 because I haven't officially started p90x until sunday). Additionally, to follow the p90x food guide, I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.