How to be inspired and get rid of the jealousy bug at the sa

Options
This came to mind after my morning ride, sitting down and reading a brief blog written by one of my mfp friends this morning (Thank you Tazpooh). She describes how a "friend" of hers got jealous over the successful weightloss she experienced. Being jealous is such an easy thing to do, not even an elevated heart rate is required. This made me ponder and I realized that this jealous friend probably has no clue about what it takes to get there. Well I have the cure for that!:) and the best part is, it might just inspire you too join in. Here is what you do.
Set your alarm for 5:30 am (or if you are a late sleeper 6:30 am will do too:). Find some old, comfy stretchy clothes, lace up your running shoes and head out the door, with or with out your bike and just start. You will discover a whole other universe hidden from your view so far. You will discover that there are at least 6 joggers on the trails, on the side walk, some slim and trim, some round, with sweat pouring down their faces, many of them older than you but with a smile on their face as they pass you by and wave to you, one fellow adventurer to another. And you might start to think. "If he/she can do this, in her/his shape, at that age, surely so can I"
You will discover at least 5 other cyclists, some speeding along, hunched over, leaning into the curves, others pedaling along at greater leisure, raising a hand in acknowledgment that you too belong to this secret cadre of early morning cyclists. And once again you might feel inspired to speed up a bit as you spy that 65 year grandmother some distance ahead of you, thinking: Now her, I can beat" (at least that is what happens to me:).
You will discover power walkers and leisure walkers and dog walkers and men and women stretching their calves at the side of the road, some with soaked through shirts, gulping water and once again you realize: "Wow, there is an entire clan of exercisers out there I would never have met, if I had simply stayed at home, wasting my time feeling jealous about my friends who are getting fit and losing weight".
And furthermore you understand that all those folks you meet are not the DVD models, the six pack models, the ultrafit ones. No they are the "ordinary" people, the ones that huff and puff and groan and sweat and are old or young, heavy or light but all of them have one thing in common: They do not waste time being jealous, they get up, get out there and then do it again the next day and the day after that.
So the next time a jealous friend comes along, jealous of your weightloss success tell him/her: This is what you do: " Set your alarm to 5:30 am........ And if your friend should reply: "Oh you mean this weight loss of yours did not happen through magic, I actually have to do something like exercise, eat better, maybe even sweat a bit, well I am not sure I want that", then your friend might just be a little less jealous the next time you come around, feeling great about that journey you embarked upon. LIfe is good. Be well.

Replies

• kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I absolutely love this, and with your permission, may share this with some people!! : ) great words of advice, and so very true. It's an amazing feeling to see so many people in the morning, of all walks of life out there you'd never imagine, they often times give me courage when i've only had 3 hours of sleep instead of my normal 6, or my hips hurt and dont feel like running, but i trudge through! Very inspiring!! Thanks so much!
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well said I love it! :D
  • sassaflash88
    Options
    great post!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thank you! :happy:
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    Absolutely well written! Do you have a book out that I can order? =)
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Great story! Thank you xxx
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Great read. Jealousy sucks and I have had to deal with it myself, but I never let it get me down, I use it as inspiration.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Alishaa18
    Alishaa18 Posts: 21
    Options
    I love love this!!!..I try to get in some exercise 5 days a week. I'm in a rut right now because I'm not losing anymore weight. It's definitley coming off ALOT slower. This was very motivating!!..thank you for the post :)
  • Alishaa18
    Alishaa18 Posts: 21
    Options
    I love love this!!!..I try to get in some exercise 5 days a week. I'm in a rut right now because I'm not losing anymore weight. It's definitley coming off ALOT slower. This was very motivating!!..thank you for the post :)
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    Awesome! I love it and I totally agree! I have, within the last month and a half, become an early morning runner and I actually love it and agree wholeheartedly with what you said! It gets it out of the way and it feels good to be done with my workout at 7AM. :D
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! So so true!
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So well said! And so damn true! Whenever I don't enjoy exercise (which i do most of the time) I think this is the price I have to pay for allowing myself to get this way. I can't wait to see what I look like under all these curves & voluptiousness lol
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WOW! That was VERY well said & SO true. I don't think the so called 'jealous ones' actually have any idea how hard we work or how hard we have worked to get to where we are.

For instance, some tell me that they want to lose but their actions speak much louder than their words. I mean, they don't seem to want to do anything about it; I never see or hear of them exercising. They eat what they want, when they want, & remain unactive & then they wonder why they can't lose. Some probably think that I don't eat or that I don't eat enough because I do lose weight. They don't understand that I'm losing the healthy way. I eat the right kinds of foods (most of the time), the right proportions, & I exercise.

Most of us here @ MFP are losing the same way. That's why we see such amazing progress on this site. It's not just about eating right (although that helps tremendously), but when you throw in some exercises & start burning those calories, there's no telling what one can accomplish.

Thank you so much for the well written forum. You are an inspiration to us all! =)
  • ACowboyKid
    ACowboyKid Posts: 142
    Options
    Wow I loved this! Amazingly well written and awesome inspiration. Thank you for posting this. It truly makes me want to go for an early morning jog tomorrow.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    LOVE it! Thankx for sharing :)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Love this!!
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I ma night gymmer but this is a great post

may get up early tomorrow morning and cycle to the gym :)

Thanks