• ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Pickles, Pigs, and Whiskey by John Currence
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited November 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Google.

Google brings up gazillions of recipes and sometimes there's no way to know whether the recipe is good or not. Same with many books, I adjust many recipees as I go. My first paella recipe (googled) was bad, if I had a little experience cooking I'd wasted so much food. Luckily, I was able to adjust it and paella came out still eadible.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    If anyone could suggest a site or a book with reliable Thai soups recipees, I'd greatly appreciate that.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Anything from Americas Test Kitchen
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Second Thug Kitchen. It amuses me. It helps me figure out dinner when I'm the fridge is empty of our usual meaty, cheesy, eggy culprits. It's all vegan but not in a way that makes it seem like a cult.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Joy of Cooking It was my first cookbook when I was learning to cook and still the first place I look when trying something new.

Yeah, this.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I usually do Google, but I admit I have a soft spot for owning beautiful cookbooks. I don't use them as often as I'd like because the internet is just more convenient, but I like having them there. I'm planning to order Maggie's Harvest by Maggie Beer from Amazon UK because it's about the third of the price of the one on Amazon US. It's a giant book from 2007 (I think?). I don't know how good the actual recipes are, but the cover looks beautiful! Can't wait to add it to my barely touched collection.

maggies-harvest-maggie-beer.jpg

maggiesharvest_pattern.JPG
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I don't use cook book very often but I do like jello one. I like it but I get my recipe's off of Facebook
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    dc6088 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Google.

Google brings up gazillions of recipes and sometimes there's no way to know whether the recipe is good or not. Same with many books, I adjust many recipees as I go. My first paella recipe (googled) was bad, if I had a little experience cooking I'd wasted so much food. Luckily, I was able to adjust it and paella came out still eadible.

That's called reading comments and reviews lol (which you don't have in cookbooks at all).
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    I have Little House on the Prairie cookbook that I got when I was in maybe 5th grade. It has recipes for the foods referred to in the books.

Our family still uses the eggnog recipe out of this for the holidays. Spoonbread and Strawberry Wine by Norma Jean & Carole Darden is another one of my favorite cookbooks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    For the instructions to make a wild yeast pizza dough starter, I must say that The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish is a cookbook I actually use.
  • 'On food and cooking' by Harold McGee. If you understand the chemistry of food you can cook anything!
    Also 'Meat' by Hugh Fearnsley-Whittingstall
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I have a collection of medieval cookbooks, with the recipes adapted for modern times: "To the King's Taste", "Fabulous Feasts", "Take A Thousand Eggs or More". And a hardcopy adaptation of "Le Menagier de Paris", a fourteenth century tome written by an elderly gentleman to his young wife, so filled with medieval household hints and recipes you really have to wonder how much time this man must have spent in the kitchen and laundry-room bugging his poor servants. For fun, here's an online compilation:

pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/

Thats fun
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I always give the Betty Crocker cookbook as a bridal shower gift. When I was a young, inexperienced cook, it was a godsend. It tells how to make very basic things like mashed potatoes, gravy, pot roast, deviled eggs, etc. I'm sure all of those things can be easily "Googled" now, but I enjoy using a book and making notes in the margins. Some of my greatest treasures are cookbooks and recipe cards that have been written on by my now-deceased loves ones. Someday, I hope someone will treasure my food-splattered, dog-eared, well-worn cookbook, as well.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    In the 1950s, the Junior League of Baton Rouge started collecting local recipes for a fund raiser publication called "River Road Recipes". Some that I have made have been fantastic. They are diverse and classic recipes from the region. I've heard the released an edition of healthy recipes, but i have yet to read it. Maybe I'll get it.
    https://juniorleaguebr.org/river-roads-recipes/
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I have all the Ina Garten cook books, they are my favorite for most things. If I am looking to cook healthier, which is most of the time I like the cookbooks by Ellie Krieger. I love cookbooks, although I don't have a lot of room for them.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    "Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" by Jeff Smith was the first cookbook I bought and I go back to it frequently.

I use to watch him on TV and have a couple of his books. Too bad his career ended prematurely as a result of sexual abuse allegations brought against him.

I've got a large cookbook collection but I often just search the Net for recipes; much easier and less time consuming than trying to find a specific recipe in one of my books unlessit's one of my go-to recipes that I've bookmarked previously.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    It's really great to have video resources literally at our fingertips: I can read up on a recipe, and if I have questions, I can go on Youtube, find the recipe and watch the techniques.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    I'm British, so number one is Delia (Smith) mainly for reference, but I also love Nigella (Lawson) and have a couple of Jamie's (Oliver) books too. I'd quite like an Ottolenghi book and have been using my Moro cookbook recently. Nigel Slater is good too. River Cottage Family Cookbook and Sarah Raven get looked at occasionally.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    The handwritten book of family recipes and a copy of a very annotated Joy of Cooking from my Gram's house.