Sticking to diet changes?

Options
MarieClaireJobson
MarieClaireJobson Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone!

I'd like to start by saying that it's now or never for me!

I've always been over weight since the age of 5-6. It's bothered me since I hit puberty but I always felt as if one day the weight would just drop off as I got older and I'd just 'grow out of it'. Obviously, that's not happened!

I'm a 22 year old woman, coincidentally for as long as I can remember I've always been the same weight as my age, and I recently reached the horrendous weight of exactly 22st. (I've now dropped 13.5lb)

I've recently had a baby, and as I stated earlier, it's either now or never for me, I need to do it for my little one!

I've done several diets/work out plans in the past (30DS etc) and I've always dropped some weight and then slowly gained it all back (plus some!).

I'd like some advice on how folks have managed to stick it out and push through the times where you just need the tub of Ben and Jerry's or the bag of crisps?!

I'm asking this today, because today has been one of the hardest for me so far, and I've only been on this journey for 2 weeks. I've joined the gym and I'm eating satisfying and nutritious meals, but I've had a particularly hard day and all I've wanted to do is drive to the co-op and slip back into my old habits. I didn't, but I really really wanted to. And I'm worried that my will power won't be as strong the next time I have a rough day...

I really want be in control of my eating habits and beat my unhealthy addiction to food. I want to be healthy, and I want to be proud of the person I see in the mirror.

All in all there's still a part of me that doubts myself, and I'd just really like some advice on how you pushed past the hard times and what kept you motivated? I love seeing everyone's success stories, and I'd like my story to be a success one day, not just a continuous failing battle.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    How do you "push through the times where you just need the tub of Ben and Jerry's or the bag of crisps?!" you ask? By realizing that "I really want be in control of my eating habits and beat my unhealthy addiction to food. I want to be healthy, and I want to be proud of the person I see in the mirror."

You have your reason as you stated yourself. You succeed by realizing that you DON'T need the ice cream or chips. It's merely a craving and it will pass. Have a list of things handy that you can distract yourself with: have a glass of water, take a quick walk, meditate, call someone, etc. Once you start successfully overcoming the cravings your confidence will grow and then you keep building on that. Small changes lead to big success. You can do this!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For me, the best thing I've learned from the successful 'losers' and maintainers here is to not cut any food out of my 'diet' (yes, that means I can still eat crisps, ice cream and chocolate). The only change I did was buy a food scale to weigh ALL the foods and components of sandwiches/salads/recipes and log accurately and consistently. If I don't weigh food or log, I don't lose. Simple. Whenever I tried to cut out my favourite foods and going too low calorie (or a combination of both!), I always without fail end up screwing up and binging. Not good. For me, elimination and super low calorie was NOT sustainable for me.

There are no 'bad foods' when it comes to weight loss, just bad relationships with food. Calories are KING for weight loss. Just be diligent with counting your calories and weighing and logging your food and drinks. Log everything that has calories (that includes fruits and veg).

If you have more than 50bs to lose, set up your mfp profile to lose 2lbs per week. If you have less, then select to lose less. Remember, the winner is the one that can eat more and still lose weight. This is not a race. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We all have difficult days. Not every emotion feels good, but all emotions are allowed. We want things, but wanting something isn't the same as having to do something. Some days suck, some more than others, but that doesn't mean that we suck, or that our lives suck. It's also okay to not do as planned, but a plan isn't a plan anymore when we stop sticking to it. If the plan is so hard to stick to that you seem to almost never manage it, maybe you need to revise the plan.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am never successful when being overly restrictive and trying to exclude all the joyful foods/beverages in life. I can't imagine never enjoying a good meal or a nice treat again. You don't need to eat the entire tub of Ben & Jerrys though - dish out a serving and put the rest away. Take your bag of crisps and portion them out into single serving ziplocs and just eat one serving.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Don't cut what you enjoy, budget it in. If you slip up today then resolve to do better tomorrow. Jog in place while watching TV, do some mental exercise, and give yourself treats. Don't make yourself miserable by not allowing yourself things you enjoy. The end goal of all this is to be happy and healthy, not miserable and skinny.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Get some Halo Top ice cream. It's only 60 calories per serving (250 calories per pint) instead of 270 calories per serving (4 servings per pint) like regular ice cream. Tastes just as good.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Our stories are similar. I always gain the weight back I lose as well and part of the problem is in the past I've restricted myself too much.

I would tell myself that certain foods were bad and tried to cut them completely out of my diet. That's never going to work for me. Never.

Now a days if I want ice cream I have a serving of ice cream. If I want a cookie I have a cookie. I work these items into my calorie budget for the day. If they aren't in my budget for that day then I tell myself I can have them on x day and I'll plan to include those items that day.

The one thing though I am trying to stop is eating just to eat. Just because I want food or I'm bored or I'm upset. That's not okay.

Other than that if I'm hungry and I want a cookie and I can make it fit into my daily calories then I eat the cookie and never look back.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think there are four things that have helped me. First I realized that craving is different than wanting. I had to get in touch with what I actually want which is to be healthy, strong and disciplined. Sometimes cravings overpower what I actually want, but cravings usually pass fairly quickly, especially if I distract myself. Secondly, I made an absolute commitment to log no matter what. That absolute commitment has been very valuable in building a new awareness of how I eat and a connection between food consumed and energy spent. It has also helped me to build an accountability to myself. Third I did not eliminate any food. Super important for making things sustainable. But I log it! Fourth, I realized that this is a lifelong commitment of caring for myself. And since nothing is perfect, I will not be perfect in how I care for myself. There will be days when calories in is way more than calories out. But I will log it. And I will get back to it the next day. And I will carry on for the rest of my life.

I committed to my "new life" for 2016 and said to myself that I would evaluate what happened in December. As I am starting to evaluate, I am noticing that the longer I commit to going in any particular direction, the more energy builds up to continue going in that direction I think I will be doing this thing for 2017 too :smiley:
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You know you can eat whatever foods you want if you stick to your calories right? I've lost over 2 pounds this week while having had ice cream almost every day and macaroni & cheese yesterday & today. It's just about portions and making low calorie choices to offset the naughtier foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat well most of the time, but I can easily fit "treats" into my otherwise healthy diet and hit my calories. That's all there is to it really. I don't know anyone who eats perfectly all of the time...being overly restrictive is usually a recipe for disaster. Eat well and eat in portions appropriate for you, including your treats...you don't need a whole tub of ice cream...ever.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also learned what a serving is. When I measure out and eat a half cup of ice cream, not only does it usually fit within my calories goals, but I enjoy it far more because it is limited. I have learned that when I eat more than what is designated as a serving, I am usually shoveling without a lot of awareness or enjoyment anyways.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When you're talking about coming home after an awful day and eating ice cream or chips, you're not really talking about the food, you're talking about a coping mechanism that you've been using for years. Food, especially salty/fatty/sugary food, does a great job of making us feel better, so just cutting that out and relying on willpower to get you through it isn't a good plan. (It's essentially saying "instead of doing something I know will make me feel happy, I'm just not going to do anything and I'll continue to feel terrible." Obviously, that's not going to work for anyone). You want to look for non-food ways to comfort yourself, so you can substitute the Ben & Jerry's for a bubble bath/massage/going for a walk/doing your nails/whatever.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would start by not changing your diet immediately but just changing your intake. Mentally speaking, there is a world of difference in 'caving' on your diet and eating a tub of ice cream in shame and eating the pre planned portioned amount. Just like the beer i'm going to drink this weekend used to be seen as a 'weak moment' and now its '12 foods to six pack abs'.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Lots of info already, and I didn't read it all.
    You're at 2 weeks! This is the VERY TYPICAL time of Give up. Why? Well you feel like its changing everything. The excitement of changing has kind of left and yet the scale/mirror/tape measure isn't showing any or much change yet so the mind says "Why Bother"

you will Bother because you want this for your daughter!
    You want to be a mom that can do more

List out all the other wants and really WHY you want that. to play on the playground more? To be comfortable going out with her? whatever it is write them down! Then on the bad days, you can remember what you are fighting for.

Its a lifestyle change. A small amount of a treat at times is OK! But over-eating every day is not.

You're in the right place!
    Congrats on your new baby!

Think of weight loss is like hormones... they go crazy up and down right??? well so does all of this. Its not a straight line.
    Welcome!
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Exactly what everyone else said. Don't restrict anything but your calories. I had always tried restrictive diets like LCHF or all "clean " eating and every time would end in a binge, followed by guilt, followed by giving up because why am I even trying when I already messed it all up.

One day I read here in the forums "Why can't you have a chocolate bar if it fits in your calories? You can! "

I got a food scale and figured I had nothing to lose (well besides the weight )

And I listened to them. I ate what I wanted & weighed nearly all of my food.

I started in April & am now down 75 pounds and getting ready to switch to a loss rate of 1.5/week and I'm excited! I also naturally started making healthier choices because I like the volume I get with lower calorie foods like meat & vegetables. And from there I got interested in hitting my macro & fiber goals.

Just focus on hitting your calorie goal and the rest will come naturally.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's like what everyone has said.... don't cut out certain foods and deprive yourself because it will backfire on you. I'm just finishing dinner-- 2 slices of homemade pizza and will have a frozen yogurt bar in a minute. This is all logged in, I do it each day and it only takes a couple minutes in the morning.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Try swapping high calorie ice cream treats for low ones.
    Instead of regular ice cream which will likely be over 300 calories have a popsicle of some sort (usually under 100 calories).
    Try yogurt as an option if you like it, or jello.

If you want chips (crisps), try snacking on something else crunchy or finding low calorie options. Kale chips? They are sort of love hate. Most people love them or hate them. lol. But you could try them.

Another option - use the negatives as motivation. I am doing it this way. I am tired of being where I am. I look at myself and I am not what I want to be. Everytime I desire going over my calories I ask myself "Do I want to eat that and stay looking and feeling like this?" The answer is always no. It's okay to eat snacks sometimes, but until you have the willpower for good portion control, do your best to avoid what you need to by thinking of it as a drug. It's not helping you, it's hindering you. Once you feel you have the ability to have just 1/2 cup of ice cream or one small serving of crisps/chips (160calories?) then I say go for it.

Also, everytime I say "No" I let myself instantly feel prouder and more confident. That is a tiny step, but it is progress and it means you are closer to your goal!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What everyone said. But the thing is, there will be meals and days when the food and bad old habits win. Likely many of those days. How well you do in the long run will depend on how you handle it. Do you believe it's ALL OR NOTHING? If so, you will end with nothing but more weight. Every time your willpower wins out, that "muscle" gets a little stronger. And every time you mess up, but pull right back on track, you win. After awhile you will find that those cravings and mistakes have less power. The key is to never quit.