Cals per day

Options
Just wondering, is anyone near 240 lbs, 5'7, and female? How many calories do you eat a day? MFP gives me a little over 1,300 for 2 lb loss a week and a little over 1,700 for the lowest setting, which I tried but haven't been able to lose anything over ten pounds,

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If it gives you 1300 per day for 2 lbs, it should give you 2050 for one half lb. Regardless, you should lose easily on 1700 lbs. How are you measuring out your food?
  • kmilam84
    kmilam84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"9 245 lbs and it gives me 1220 calories per day. I just started again but last year i lost 40 pounds counting calories and walking 10k steps per day.
  • Nicole_kayy
    Nicole_kayy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If it gives you 1300 per day for 2 lbs, it should give you 2050 for one half lb. Regardless, you should lose easily on 1700 lbs. How are you measuring out your food?

I use a measuring cup for everything I can and just guess at the rest. I know I need a food scale but I couldn't find one in the local Walmart.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Did you check the kitchen supplies section? They should have several options.
  • Nicole_kayy
    Options
    I did but I may have overlooked them.
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 1700 cals a day. been losing about 1.5 lbs a week.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I was 224. I ate about 1200 per day and lost 14lbs in a little over a month with being almost sedentary...10lbs in how long?
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would suspect pretty major logging issues. I am 5'6" and 141 lbs. and am set at 1610 and losing pretty steadily, heading into maintenance after thanksgiving. At 1700 calories, you should be losing pretty easily. Get the food scale and I bet it will make a big difference!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was. I started out at 5'6, 253 lbs. I'm at 153 today. 1700, provided you're being accurate in your logging, should get you pretty far.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been careful with my logging, exersizing twice a day , Ive bene gradualy lowering my calories trying to lose weight but gainign instead. gained 10 lbs in this month alone on a 1100-1200 cal diet. I am down to about 1000-1100 now and still gianing. MFP wont let me go any lower. dont know what to do. :( when I started 5 weeks ago it said at that cal I would be 139bs in 5 weeks now it says I will be 143 in 5 weeks! grrr!! no ones seem to have answers as to why this is, not doctors or anybody.
  • SusanMFindlay
    Options
    Define "careful with logging".

Do you log drinks as well as food?
    Do you log condiments (and milk/cream/sugar in tea/coffee)?
    Do you log cooking oil?
    Do you weigh your food in grams or do you use measuring cups and spoons?
    Do you ever have snacks in the car (or similar) that could easily be forgotten about?
    Do you log "tastes" when you're cooking or off somebody else's plate?
  • gigma67
    gigma67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5"0 and 145 pounds and they are suggesting me to take 1200 cals per day. Is it ok??
  • Nicole_kayy
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I was 224. I ate about 1200 per day and lost 14lbs in a little over a month with being almost sedentary...10lbs in how long?

I weighed again today and it's still 10 lbs lost. It's been 40 days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    I have been careful with my logging, exersizing twice a day , Ive bene gradualy lowering my calories trying to lose weight but gainign instead. gained 10 lbs in this month alone on a 1100-1200 cal diet. I am down to about 1000-1100 now and still gianing. MFP wont let me go any lower. dont know what to do. :( when I started 5 weeks ago it said at that cal I would be 139bs in 5 weeks now it says I will be 143 in 5 weeks! grrr!! no ones seem to have answers as to why this is, not doctors or anybody.

Do you use a food scale?
    Can you open your diary?
  • SusanMFindlay
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

I weighed again today and it's still 10 lbs lost. It's been 40 days.

40 days since you started? In that case, you've lose 1 pound every 4 days - which is very close to 2 pounds/week. So, you may just be experiencing your first "weight loss isn't linear" moment. In which case, keep doing what you're doing and the scale will move.

If you mean 40 days with no loss, then you need to look at weighing your food and other possible sources of logging error.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    After you lose a little weight, you'll need to reset your profile because you'll need fewer calories to support your smaller mass.
    So if you're stuck at a 10 lb loss, & the same calorie count, try cutting 100 cal/day for a few weeks (go from 1700 to 1600) without changing anything else, and see what happens.

Alice wrote:
    exersizing twice a day , Ive bene gradualy lowering my calories trying to lose weight but gainign instead. gained 10 lbs in this month alone on a 1100-1200 cal diet. I am down to about 1000-1100 now and still gianing.
    Wow. Have you had a conversation with your doctor about this? I mean, actually showing her/him your food diary, explaining how much you are exercising, etc.?
    Because I'm seeing all sorts of wrong there, and your doctor really should have a look at you.
    See the flowchart above. Are you weighing &/or measuring your food so that you're sure you're actually eating that little?
    Unless you're very very short, there's no way 1000 cal/day is enough for you to be gaining weight, even given the newbie muscle gains when someone first starts exercising. (I do have someone on my friends list who's something like 4'8", and her daily calorie goal IIRC is 800 cal, which for her height is perfectly healthy.)