If I do arm curls, will I eventually get that big beefy bulbous veiny look?

Options
You know like the guys with the big arms with veins that stick out

I just started doing bicep curls I just want that look in my arms for now

I'm at 205 pounds and I don't want to gain weight I just want my arms to get bigger and veiny

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why would you aspire to veiny arms and only one muscle growing?
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would much rather have an overall fit and healthy look myself. Everything gets worked equally through the course of a week, so while I may not look like the Rock, I'm pretty lean and decently muscled for my age.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In for bulbous arms!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh MFP, you never fail me.

Does working on bulbous arms mean you can skip leg day?

It sounds like it. Big arms and underdeveloped everything else would be an awesome look.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No. And if you want to be vascular you are going to have to consider a lot more than doing some bicep curls.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Popeye approves

popeye-thumbs-up.jpg

His biceps are actually quite small ;)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Popeye approves

popeye-thumbs-up.jpg

His biceps are actually quite small ;)

But his arms are beefy and bulbous. :laugh:
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have big veins that run down my arms. The absolute only benefit I have ever gotten from this feature was a red cross employee commenting how nice it was to take my blood as everything was easy to find.

Since I've managed to hurt my knee and absolutelywreck my back in the same week doing compound lifts maybe I'll switch exclusively over to arm work and see.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You're joking, right?
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I heard at the gym, that doing curls in the squat rack will get your arms huge!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

It sounds like it. Big arms and underdeveloped everything else would be an awesome look.

But. But. You'd look awesome in a tank top with baggy sweats.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

But. But. You'd look awesome in a tank top with baggy sweats.

style and gainz GOALZ.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    FWIW, I've got lots of "veins that stick out" in my arms but they've always been that way regardless of my weight; just more noticeable when I weigh less. So, I think it's mainly genetic.

Working out heavy doing the Big 4 compound lifts (as well as Farmer's walks, pushups, pullups and dips) and losing BF has increased muscular definition and enhanced the veiny look of my arms which are far from being "big, beefy and bulbous" (my largest flexed bicep is only 14.5") but appear large in proportion to my size (5'8", 42-34-38 & 162#) despite being on a deficit/maintenance diet.

So, if you don't want to gain weight but still want larger veiny arms, my recommendation is to skip the curls, lose BF while maintaining wt (it's called recomp) and do heavy compound lifts and exercises that work your arms (as well as shoulders, pecs, back & legs, like the ones I've already mentioned), so that your arms remain in proportion to the rest of your body. However, because of the fat loss overall, your arms should still end up look noticebly larger; it's kind of an optical illusion common in body building.

If you do this, that veiny look you want should appear in your arms and maybe in your legs too. Then, if you really want your arms to get BIG, you need to accept that you have to eat more (particularly protein), which will cause you to gain weight, and lift heavier than b4 doing both compound and isolation lifts (like curls) to promote muscle growth.

If you try to do this, I'd give it at least a year to make it happen. Good luck.

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, I've got lots of "veins that stick out" in my arms but they've always been that way regardless of my weight; just more noticeable when I weigh less. So, I think it's mainly genetic.

Working out heavy doing the Big 4 compound lifts (as well as Farmer's walks, pushups, pullups and dips) and losing BF has increased muscular definition and enhanced the veiny look of my arms which are far from being "big, beefy and bulbous" (my largest flexed bicep is only 14.5") but appear large in proportion to my size (5'8", 42-34-38 & 162#) despite being on a deficit/maintenance diet.

So, if you don't want to gain weight but still want larger veiny arms, my recommendation is to skip the curls, lose BF while maintaining wt (it's called recomp) and do heavy compound lifts and exercises that work your arms (as well as shoulders, pecs, back & legs, like the ones I've already mentioned), so that your arms remain in proportion to the rest of your body. However, because of the fat loss overall, your arms should still end up look noticebly larger; it's kind of an optical illusion common in body building.

If you do this, that veiny look you want should appear in your arms and maybe in your legs too. Then, if you really want your arms to get BIG, you need to accept that you have to eat more (particularly protein), which will cause you to gain weight, and lift heavier than b4 doing both compound and isolation lifts (like curls) to promote muscle growth.

If you try to do this, I'd give it at least a year to make it happen. Good luck.
    sgt1372 wrote: »

just reading all about all that work made me sleepy.