Struggles with clothing sizes

Options
124»

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    First off: I don't think you are a size 1/2 at 124 lbs. You are more likely a 5/6. When I was 124 lbs I was about a size 6/7. But jeans are jeans and everything is up for grabs depending on your structure. I would go more for a size small in tops. It will be fitted but not snug.

I usually just shop at thrift or discount stores. But for higher end stuff, check out Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstrom's. I also love H&M, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. They have good quality for the price.

Chances are she is...depends on a person's body type. I'm a size 4/6 (us sizes) at 70 kg and 5'6". I'm lean and athletic with small hips. Anything bigger than that and it would fall off my body. Other people at my height and weight would struggle to fit into a 8/10 because their body type is different.

Thank you for mentioning this, it makes me feel a little better! :) (I'm nowhere near this small and probably never will be, but I've been following the thread with interest just to see where other people shop. Thanks @tomteboda for plugging eShakti, I'm fascinated by their site! I might have to purchase a couple of nice dresses from there when I get to goal. :) )

I've been a bit confused lately because there are several other women here who are heavier than me but wearing a much smaller size even though their height is similar to mine. I wasn't sure if it was brand/vanity sizing, differences between US and Canadian sizes, or something else, but it was starting to make me feel like I wasn't trying hard enough! ;) (Even though I know I shouldn't compare myself to others like that. And I'm an hourglass with a fat belly; I could probably be a size down in jeans if not for the tum!) So your comments about body type/shape are helpful and reassuring, thank you!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm on the smaller side, too - 5'3", 117 lbs (currently heavier, but I fit in the same clothes I did before).

J Crew and Gap have a lot of things that would fit me really nicely if I were their target body type. J Crew is always too straight through the waist/hip for me (hourglass) and the both places assume I have more slender biceps.

I'm also on the smaller side, and having an hourglass shape is why I could never shop in the children's department. I think everything would be too straight cut for me.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Krock83 wrote: »
    I am short (5'3) and curvy which is always a challenge. I have been buying all of my clothes on www.eshakti.com because for $10 I can give them my custom measurements and they make the clothes to fit my size. Otherwise I've been shopping at Gap Factory and occasionally loft.

Wow really?! Is the fit appropriate when you do this? I only ask because I've had several custom dresses made one of which the manufacturer measured me themselves and both times the fit has been wayy off. This sounds like a dream come true!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    annekka wrote: »
    First off: I don't think you are a size 1/2 at 124 lbs. You are more likely a 5/6. When I was 124 lbs I was about a size 6/7. But jeans are jeans and everything is up for grabs depending on your structure. I would go more for a size small in tops. It will be fitted but not snug.

I usually just shop at thrift or discount stores. But for higher end stuff, check out Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstrom's. I also love H&M, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. They have good quality for the price.

Chances are she is...depends on a person's body type. I'm a size 4/6 (us sizes) at 70 kg and 5'6". I'm lean and athletic with small hips. Anything bigger than that and it would fall off my body. Other people at my height and weight would struggle to fit into a 8/10 because their body type is different.

Thank you for mentioning this, it makes me feel a little better! :) (I'm nowhere near this small and probably never will be, but I've been following the thread with interest just to see where other people shop. Thanks @tomteboda for plugging eShakti, I'm fascinated by their site! I might have to purchase a couple of nice dresses from there when I get to goal. :) )

I've been a bit confused lately because there are several other women here who are heavier than me but wearing a much smaller size even though their height is similar to mine. I wasn't sure if it was brand/vanity sizing, differences between US and Canadian sizes, or something else, but it was starting to make me feel like I wasn't trying hard enough! ;) (Even though I know I shouldn't compare myself to others like that. And I'm an hourglass with a fat belly; I could probably be a size down in jeans if not for the tum!) So your comments about body type/shape are helpful and reassuring, thank you!

Women's bodies are all different! I have always joked that I was built like a boy when I was larger because I didn't seem to have a shape. Now that I am a healthy weight I see that I am naturally slim hipped and small breasted. Plus fit of clothing is a preference and differs based on vanity sizing/style etc. Don't ever feel bad about your clothes size it doesn't mean a single thing! I have a list of mantras that I recycle btw and one of them is "I will not compare myself to strangers on the internet" Sometimes I need to hear that one :) Love yourself your shape is perfect and uniquely you!

P.s. if you have time watch that youtube video upthread...its pretty interesting
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Women's bodies are all different! I have always joked that I was built like a boy when I was larger because I didn't seem to have a shape. Now that I am a healthy weight I see that I am naturally slim hipped and small breasted.

This is so true! When I was larger I was built like an ancient Venus statue, all boobs and hips. Now, I'm built like a lithe Amazon!! Different shape, but still a goddess!!!

• GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Women's bodies are all different! I have always joked that I was built like a boy when I was larger because I didn't seem to have a shape. Now that I am a healthy weight I see that I am naturally slim hipped and small breasted.

This is so true! When I was larger I was built like an ancient Venus statue, all boobs and hips. Now, I'm built like a lithe Amazon!! Different shape, but still a goddess!!!

Preach! I'm still the hourglass that I always was, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as it used to be. My hips dropped off significantly. I would say my build is athletic. With boobs.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Krock83 wrote: »
    I am short (5'3) and curvy which is always a challenge. I have been buying all of my clothes on www.eshakti.com because for $10 I can give them my custom measurements and they make the clothes to fit my size. Otherwise I've been shopping at Gap Factory and occasionally loft.

Wow really?! Is the fit appropriate when you do this? I only ask because I've had several custom dresses made one of which the manufacturer measured me themselves and both times the fit has been wayy off. This sounds like a dream come true!

I've found that I like the fit best if I pad my measurements 1". So if my bust measures 38" I tell them 39". I think they don't leave seam allowances. But as for overall for, it's amazing. Be sure to have someone measure you who understands measuring though. Also give them all the measurements, not just bust-hip-waist.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm on the smaller side, too - 5'3", 117 lbs (currently heavier, but I fit in the same clothes I did before).

J Crew and Gap have a lot of things that would fit me really nicely if I were their target body type. J Crew is always too straight through the waist/hip for me (hourglass) and the both places assume I have more slender biceps.

I'm also on the smaller side, and having an hourglass shape is why I could never shop in the children's department. I think everything would be too straight cut for me.

You might be surprised. I don't think I'm technically a true hourglass but I have a 28F bust and about 11" difference between waist and hip and kids' stuff fits me fine. Even boys' stuff. It's totally worth experimenting if you like cheaper clothes and have trouble with stuff from mall stores fitting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

You might be surprised. I don't think I'm technically a true hourglass but I have a 28F bust and about 11" difference between waist and hip and kids' stuff fits me fine. Even boys' stuff. It's totally worth experimenting if you like cheaper clothes and have trouble with stuff from mall stores fitting.

Oh, you sound built very much like me. I'll give it a go then. Thanks!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Women's bodies are all different! I have always joked that I was built like a boy when I was larger because I didn't seem to have a shape. Now that I am a healthy weight I see that I am naturally slim hipped and small breasted. Plus fit of clothing is a preference and differs based on vanity sizing/style etc. Don't ever feel bad about your clothes size it doesn't mean a single thing! I have a list of mantras that I recycle btw and one of them is "I will not compare myself to strangers on the internet" Sometimes I need to hear that one :) Love yourself your shape is perfect and uniquely you!

P.s. if you have time watch that youtube video upthread...its pretty interesting

Thank you! :) One of the quotes I've heard a few times now around these forums is "comparison is the thief of joy", and I try to remember that!

I do try to remind myself that size is just a number and not important, but I'm still in the process of learning to like myself... I'm noticing a tendency to appreciate what I see in the mirror these days more than I used to, even the last time I lost weight. I'm pretty proud of myself even though I still have work to do! :)

(And I did watch that video when it was posted in a different thread - very interesting, and explains why the fit of the same size can be so different across different brands!)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    For casual you could try the girl's department. I can wear a size 16 XL in girl's pants comfortably and I'm between 5'4'' and 5'5''. They're the perfect length. That equates to a size 5 so a girl's 12 or 14 medium or large might fit if they're long enough.

That's funny because my 5.5" 13yo daughter can't wear a girls 16 (too short) even if the 16 slim waist wasn't too big for her. She's in a 00 regular jean/pant these days, or an xs in women's shorts.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    For casual you could try the girl's department. I can wear a size 16 XL in girl's pants comfortably and I'm between 5'4'' and 5'5''. They're the perfect length. That equates to a size 5 so a girl's 12 or 14 medium or large might fit if they're long enough.

That's funny because my 5.5" 13yo daughter can't wear a girls 16 (too short) even if the 16 slim waist wasn't too big for her. She's in a 00 regular jean/pant these days, or an xs in women's shorts.

It sounds like your daughter is all legs. I'd love to have longer legs but they are what they are. That's why it's so important to try things on.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on sweatpants? Or long johns? I tried boys long johns, (too small in the thigh) and girls sweats(waist too big and length too short) but women's are usually too big and don't have a drawstring.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Ross near you @DancingMoosie? I've had good luck finding sweat pants there with a drawstring.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    @dancingmoosie It is very easy to add a drawstring to most sweat pants. Just cut a small hole in the inside of the waste band and take a shoestring and run it through. Pin a large safety pin to the end of the string and it is very easy to pull it through.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm 5'2 34-23-34 and sadly, to find jeans that fit I do need to spend about $200 for designer styles that come in a size 23". Other than jeans I do a lot of shopping at Forever 21, Zara, Urban Outfitters and a bunch of tiny boutique shops. Sometimes it's the boutique shops where you can find the best random stuff.

There are probably cheaper options for you. I'm 24" waist, 35" hips, and I buy cheap jeans. My favorites are Grana where I'm a 25 in the high-waist jeans and a 26 in the mid rise that hit right at the top of my hip bones. They go down to at least size 24, which should fit you, being an in inch smaller in waist and hips. My high-rise 25s measure 11.5-12" across the waist when flat.

You could also check Express. I'm consistently a 0 there, and they make 00, which fits me when I haven't been eating well and drop down to your measurements.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Oh, I found some sweat pants that work. Surprisingly, Walmart/FOTL men's size small has a great elastic waistband as well as a drawstring(but don't even need it). They also have pockets. They are a little big, but they're also sweatpants for around the house and less than $6.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    First off: I don't think you are a size 1/2 at 124 lbs.

Que?

There is no way to know without measurements/seeing her in person.

I'm 5'6 and hovering around 150. Wearing misses size 6 jeans and a size 16 sweater from the children's department as I type this.

Being able to shop in the children's department is fun. I measure 33" under my bust and am a C cup FWIW.