Three men suing Chipotle because they felt too full...

Options
leanjogreen18
leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
on the Chorizo burrito that was listed at 300 calories. Turns out the burrito is 3 to 4 times that amount.

http://laist.com/2016/11/19/make_chipotle_healthy_again.php

I bet any mfper could look at the ingredients alone and know that it was more than 300 calories - cheese, flour tortilla, white rice, chorizo, black beans and salsa.

ETA - not to mention the size of that burrito. My little low calorie burrito is 300 calories plus and its half that size.

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    lol
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They were being shut down constantly for making people sick.
    Citation needed.
  • avotarian
    avotarian Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i saw that chorizo burrito sign during my last visit to chipotle. i did have to look twice, but then assumed they meant 300 calories just for the chorizo inside the burrito (although i don't see that assumption was right either). these guys are probably full of crap anyway, but it's worrisome to think of how many people don't understanding calories or nutrition in general. :s
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It will then be a simple thing for someone at Chipotle to alter the signage to add an * and a disclaimer in tiny letters.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No sympathy for Chipotle there. But yeah, the guys should have known better, but I guess some people are really that clueless.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No sympathy for Chipotle there. But yeah, the guys should have known better, but I guess some people are really that clueless.
    I'm sure they knew. They likely bought and ate the burritos so that they would have standing for their lawsuit.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    on one hand... come on guys you knew that was wrong. on the other hand... wtf chipotle that is clearly misleading.

I checked the website's nutrition info, and apparently chorzio meat is 300 calories... but then Chipoltle should then be labeling the chicken in the chicken burrito as only 180 calories (are they updating the calorie counts on the menu to make it more like "here's the calories per ingredient" versus "he's the calories for the entire recipe"?).
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    avotarian wrote: »
    i saw that chorizo burrito sign during my last visit to chipotle. i did have to look twice, but then assumed they meant 300 calories just for the chorizo inside the burrito (although i don't see that assumption was right either). these guys are probably full of crap anyway, but it's worrisome to think of how many people don't understanding calories or nutrition in general. :s

They just want those $$$dolla dolla bills$$$
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    on one hand... come on guys you knew that was wrong. on the other hand... wtf chipotle that is clearly misleading.

I checked the website's nutrition info, and apparently chorzio meat is 300 calories... but then Chipoltle should then be labeling the chicken in the chicken burrito as only 180 calories (are they updating the calorie counts on the menu to make it more like "here's the calories per ingredient" versus "he's the calories for the entire recipe"?).

I was just getting ready to post that anyone who knows what the hell chorizo actually is should know better, unless it was an amount about the size of a small child's pinky.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Why would anyone only list the calories in one ingredient? What was the thinking on that?

Counting on people skimming what they read or, better yet, not reading at all.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Lemon Cake - 17 calories

Oh sorry that was just the calories in a lemon.

Hahahaha.. Idk why but LOL'd loudly on that one