My prepared food always goes to waste

Options
Anyone else have this problem? I spend a decent amount of time on planning/shopping/prep, and end up not eating half of it because 1. forget about it 2. don't want to eat it -or-3. plans change. I feel like my brain is melting when I try to figure out meals to fit my macros and end up not eating it anyway. #frustrated #iamlikeachild

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Plans must be flexible enough to adapt to situations beyond your control.

Write down somewhere what you have made and when you are going to eat it, that's part of the planning. Prepare yourself mentally for eating it; to do this consistently, you have to make meals you actually want to eat. Don't overthink - have simple "templates" for every meal (for instance, most of my dinners are just "protein+starch+veg").
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't meal prep. If I eat something tasty that I actually want to eat, I'll be much less likely to binge on cookies later. And 3 day old chicken typically doesn't cut it.

The only thing I make big batches of is soup, lasagna, shepherd's pie etc... and you can always cut them in individual servings and freeze them.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have this problem sometimes, usually because I'm just not hungry. If you miss a preplanned meal, stick it in the freezer for next week. If stopping and buying other foods is the issue, don't carry cash and give your credit/debit cards to a family member or leave them at home....if you don't have money, you have to eat what you've preplanned.
  • suedeliajane
    suedeliajane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Plans must be flexible enough to adapt to situations beyond your control.

Write down somewhere what you have made and when you are going to eat it, that's part of the planning. Prepare yourself mentally for eating it; to do this consistently, you have to make meals you actually want to eat. Don't overthink - have simple "templates" for every meal (for instance, most of my dinners are just "protein+starch+veg").

Overthinking is my biggest flaw...plus I would have to remember where I wrote it all down. LOL! ;)

Make it freezable, label it and at least it can be there when you need something fast or non-thinky at a later date.

I don't know what it is about reheated frozen food...the texture is gross to me. maybe i am doing it wrong?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of stuff are you prepping ahead of time? I'm not big on prepping large batches of stuff and would say maybe it's just not something you need to do. Maybe having a few options available at all times rather than specifically prepared meals would be better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have this problem? I spend a decent amount of time on planning/shopping/prep, and end up not eating half of it because 1. forget about it 2. don't want to eat it -or-3. plans change. I feel like my brain is melting when I try to figure out meals to fit my macros and end up not eating it anyway. #frustrated #iamlikeachild

Do you need to prep food in advance? Why did you want to do it? If it doesn't work for you then you can stop.

Are you planning and prepping meals you wouldn't ordinarily eat? Maybe that is an issue. If you like sandwiches and you are prepping salads every day you probably aren't going to enjoy that. If you hate reheated food then you might be better off prepping food that is not heated. If you are used to eating something different every day and you are trying to prep the same food every day that could be a problem.

Maybe you'd do better planning quick prep meals or prepping ingredients that you could add to recipes to speed things up.
    If this is new to you maybe start with prepping fewer meals a week until it becomes a habit.

I plan dinners. I have a list on my refrigerator. I don't have to have them in order. I cross off the meals as I have them. I don't really prep meals in advance except having dinner leftovers for lunch.
  • chaneliexoo
    chaneliexoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I normally only prep my meats and just wake up early and do my veggies/ sides. i cant meal prep because I get too bored of it. my taste changes daily and im not going to force myself to eat something I dont care for.
  • suedeliajane
    edited November 2016
    Options

"Do you need to prep food in advance? Why did you want to do it? If it doesn't work for you then you can stop. "

I was feeling alone in the world and was hoping someone was in the same boat or had been and found a solution;)

I get a kind of paralysis by analysis when planning out the week. As I read through these comments I am starting to see that part of my problem may be how picky I am. I have always thought I was a pretty open minded eater, but I think I need to reevaluate. I hate reheating food. So the typical BB template chicken/rice/veg is gonna be out.
    Thank you for the perspective. Getting in the habit of putting the day together in the morning, is a good idea.
    Thank you guys for the tips and perspective!

• freckles2392
    freckles2392 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im the same way. I will prep a meal whether I freeze it or refrigerate it and I end up not eating it because I dont really like stuff made 2 days before or more. For some reason l guess I think it wont taste the same. I guess its more of a mental thing for me. Same goes if I open a bag of chips I havent touched in a few days I kind of get freaked out n think there are germs and stuff growing on it. Idk im wired weird when it comes to meal prepping.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I plan dinners. I have a list on my refrigerator. I don't have to have them in order. I cross off the meals as I have them. I don't really prep meals in advance except having dinner leftovers for lunch.

This. I plan fortnightly meals and shop accordingly. Some veggies I'll pre cut and freeze and others are meant for on the day prep/cook/serve raw. Meats, I'll marinate > vacuum seal > freeze.

I love the flexibility and freedom.

ETA: Pre cooking in bulk and packing meals away feels restrictive and torturesome.
  • runlikeagirl1985
    runlikeagirl1985 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps for me to do meal prep twice a week (or more depending on time). I make sure all my veggies and fruit are washed and cut up (depending on what they are) and I will make meals for 3-4 days. Then change it up and make something different on food prep day #2. I find this helps keep things diverse and there are not as much leftovers to get sick of/waste.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I used to religiously make enough for dinner that I could have for lunch the next day, then I got into prepping. I only really prep lunches, otherwise I end up frustrated at eating the same thing. I tend to make batches of rice salad or some form of base, which I can vary by adding different proteins to. So I might have feta one day, chicken the next, all with the same base mix. Keeps it varied. Or I throw together a smaller batch of soup - enough for two days rather than five.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    exactly why i dont meal prep. Its just not for me and thats ok. i dont like leftovers and my taste changes or our plans change.
  • suedeliajane
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    exactly why i dont meal prep. Its just not for me and thats ok. i dont like leftovers and my taste changes or our plans change.

So what is your approach?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i basically use my freezer as a great big version of that closet where you stash stuff you just don't feel like dealing with right now.

it works out. a week or two later i've forgotten all about how i wasn't into whatever it was, and/or i'm hungry enough i don't care what i eat, so i fish something out and discover that it's actually great. so further down the road, yes it does save me from eating something that's less-great for me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

So what is your approach?

i choose 5 dinners and get the ingredients for them.. the ingredients usually will make other meals as well. each day i just make whatever we are in the mood for. I always have rice, pastas, beans, lentils ect in my pantry.