DIet Soda.... Do or DoNot?

Options
First we don't call it "soda" where I live we call it pop. LoL my pop of coice is Diet Coke/ Coke Zero....

What is your opinion on "Diet" Soda....

I am condisering giving it up.

I've done some research and I am aware of the implications of sweetners, carbonation, etc

What do you think?

Replies

• giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I personally do not like diet soda all that much. I will only drink Diet Pepsi on occasion - I'm talking once a month if that. I'm not a huge fan of all of the chemicals & stuff.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You can live without it, it has absolutely no benefits.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I just gave up diet coke a little over a week ago! Totally worth it. You will drink more water which is waaaay better for your body! I have heard people say that for every one soda you drink (diet or not) you have to drink at least 4 8oz glasses of water. So...why not just drink the water to start with!
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    I have one 20oz diet coke a day. I love it! I don't drink coffee so this is my little caffeine kick. I try to make sure I drink at least 84oz of water a day, though. An extra 20oz for the bottle of soda pop.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think life is too damn short to worry about whether one coke zero a day is going to kill me! I have a better chance, GOD FORBID, of getting ran over while running. If you want one, drink it! That's just my opinion...

PS: I drink anywhere from 100-150 ounces of water a day. The coke zero is my treat to myself.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    a BIG no for me. I find that it bloats my stomach terribly, and I feel sluggish and heavy. Also, I read some article that the bodys response to artificial sweetener and regular sugar is similar, and I just dont want those spikes in my insulin production in response to blood sugar. Im all about the blood sugar stabilization right now as my primary focus...and its working!!!
  • hfva
    hfva Posts: 2
    Options
    If I didnt get to have my sugar free redbull I would be a very mean person and be eating a ton more - it takes away my hunger and stops me from craving chocolate
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, but I definitely notice a difference when I don't drink it. I'm a lot less bloated. I know that all of the artificial ingredients aren't so good for you, but I guess we sometimes just have to pick our poision!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking basically everything except plain ice tea and water and milk ( for my shakes). However once in a great while ( like once a month ) I will have a sugar free redbull. I do not drink coke anymore because well it isn't good for you. But, we all have our vices. Just try and space yours out.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I personally gave it up, but if I'm out and one falls my way, I will have it and enjoy it!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I make my own with Soda Stream. It is the only way I will drink enough water.
  • mcpdan
    mcpdan Posts: 2
    Options
    I love diet soda.. I live off the stuff. I drink at least 4 16oz bottles a day. I don't like water. I force myself to drink water and tea when it's readily available (eating out).

98lbs lost
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    First we don't call it "soda" where I live we call it pop. LoL my pop of coice is Diet Coke/ Coke Zero....

I'm JUST now getting to where I call coke, soda. Growing up, we called all flavors of soda coke. When a guest would come by and we offer a drink...."Do you want a coke?" "sure" "Ok, we have Dr Pepper or Pepsi." It's silly, I know.

Now that I don't drink any carbonated drinks....I call them soda. Weird.

I used to drink Coke out of the soda fountain ALL DAY LONG. :drinker: Then I tried diet. Yuck. Then went to Coke Zero. But if Icouldn't have the real thing, I didn't want it at all!

Now I only drink water and tea...oh and a half cup, to a cup of coffee a day. I'm not even missing my coke.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think life is too damn short to worry about whether one coke zero a day is going to kill me! I have a better chance, GOD FORBID, of getting ran over while running. If you want one, drink it! That's just my opinion...

PS: I drink anywhere from 100-150 ounces of water a day. The coke zero is my treat to myself.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!
  • mrsn1218
    mrsn1218 Posts: 3
    Options
    I was severely addicted to Diet Coke and I saw nothing wrong with it. I had not drank regular soda in years because I refuse to drink calories. However, my appetite was getting out of control and thoughI had successfully dieted in the past I just could not get back on the wagon this time. I gave up diet soda - or pop (when in rome...:smile: ), and I can tell you I am back on the wagon for my 2nd week now and I have to remind myself to eat where I initially had to make myself stick to the scheduled eating and snacking times. I have done a lot of googling on the topic and they seem to be of the opinion that over time it makes you gain more weight and I would have to agree. I am now exercising, doing MFP religiously, and giving more time to prayer and study and I have found myself far less hungry and more fulfilled than ever so I am not changing one single thing.

I would suggest giving it up and maybe allowing yourself to have one every now and then if you must. I gave up artificial sweetner altogether except for Stevia in my cofee - I just can't do black coffee. There is also a natural line like Crystal light called Hansen's Fruit Stix. I drink that when I want more than water, but it's mostly water.

I have been back on the wagon since last Tuesday and I am down 4lbs so far...

All the best to you - sorry if that was too long :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, so I would never touch one -- they just taste yucky! lol

Honestly, for health reasons, it's always better to eat and drink whole foods. There are chemicals in soda/pop no matter whether it's diet or "real" that aren't good for you.

However, we all have our vices and if you enjoy it, then have some. Maybe cut down if you're worried about health implications.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I read before that a diet "pop" or "soda" (we call it pop too here, my husband calls it soda, lol) is really no better for an "edit" (I heard a lady call her "diet" an "edit" cause she was editing her lifestyle) than a regular pop.
  • AMSalaz
    AMSalaz Posts: 16
    Options
    DO NOT! Diet soda not only has high fructose corn syrup (which consumed in high quantities is destructive to your system and messes with your metabolism) but many times is sweetened with Aspartame. Aspartame is EVIL! Do some research for what it does to you. It's yucky!!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options

I'm with ya!! I only have 1 a day and I love it...it might be Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Coke. I usually don't want for more than one anyway and I drinl 80+ oz of water a day :wink: