Steps/calorie questions

Options
Hi all! I have a quick question. As of lately, my "calories burned" from my daily steps is a lot less though my walking has stayed the same.

My app used to say that walking 9,000 steps was burning about 350-400 calories, but now when I walk this amount, it's only saying I've burned about 150?? Unsure of what happened??

Let me know if anyone understands why, thanks!!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Did you update the app with weight lost? If you're smaller you burn less.
  • gunnipm
    gunnipm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I've updated my weight, but I don't think losing 7lbs would make me burn about 300 less calories...very confused about how the app is counting my calories now?
  • billwray3
    billwray3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are several questions about this in the Help/FAQ section. I believe the change happened in version 7.5 which came out about a week ago. It may be limited to users with IOS (Apple) devices for step counting. After originally saying it was a mistake, the MyFitnessPal people are now saying the old calculation was in error and the new way is more correct. I think they still have an error. The new way does not produce numbers that agree with any reference I've found. I'm getting reductions similar to gunnipm.
  • rwmorgan01
    rwmorgan01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue, I walked 7.3 miles yesterday and it said that I burned 61 calories for those steps. I can't imagine that's anywhere close to being accurate.
  • 321sjs
    321sjs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue since updating MFP to version 7.5 on November 11. I contacted MFP Support and received this reply:

Thank you very much for your patience while we reviewed your concern and consulted with our engineering colleagues to understand the change you’ve reported.

After updating to version 7.5 of the MyFitnessPal app for iOS, some users who track their step count with the iPhone’s motion sensor, or with Apple Watch, noticed a decrease in the calorie adjustment earned from their steps. This change is the result of an improvement in our step tracking process and is a more accurate depiction of the estimated calorie burn than in previous MyFitnessPal versions.

Please let us know if you have further questions, or if we can support you in any way.

All the best,
    Hank
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Today I have 20,432 steps and MFP is giving me 140 calories earned. Before the update when I had a similar number of steps, I earned nearly 650 calories. You may want to track your exercise and steps in a different program/app if you want credit for it.
  • redrover99
    redrover99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't get this explanation at all. The 'old' way was broadly in line with all the other online references I can find. The new way seems way off. How can 7 miles at 4mph for a 220lb person be <130 calories?? That's about 1 cookie. My body must be the worlds most efficient machine...
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    250 cals burned for 20k steps today for a 166lb man is not accurate and demotivating. I found the old method of calculating cals to stack up with the actual weight lost each week. Wish they'd just go back to the old way....
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I just count actual walks or runs, not the steps. Walking around the house or stores can sometimes add a lot of steps but doesn't really burn all that many calories. Any that it does burn, I just look at as bonus.
  • QueenAnne94101
    QueenAnne94101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A trainer at my gym told me that counting daily steps via MFP is double-counting earned exercise calories. Here's why: When you sign up you choose your activity level (not active, moderately active, very active, etc.) which takes into account your basic daily activity - walking around, doing errands, cleaning, what you do for work (as well as extra activity if you have an active job like mail carrier or bike messenger). While you do these basic activities, you are taking steps BUT they have already been accounted for in the basic calorie formula. To count them again is double-dipping. Taking lots of steps is SO good for you and very healthy but, again, most of those have already been accounted for in the original MFP calorie formula. NOW, if after your basic day is done and you go on a specific fitness walk (faster pace, consistent heart rate elevation) or do the treadmill, that is extra and should be counted as an exercise session. By all means keep your goal of 10,000 steps a day - again, such a GREAT, HEALTHY goal - just don't try to credit all of that as exercise calories...count only the ones that are deliberate exercise sessions. I saw a big difference in my weekly loss when I stopped double-crediting myself for basic daily activity and only counted intentional fitness walking/exercise sessions. Hope it helps. Good luck!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    QueenAnne, that does make a lot of sense. Thanks for that clarification.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A trainer at my gym told me that counting daily steps via MFP is double-counting earned exercise calories. Here's why: When you sign up you choose your activity level (not active, moderately active, very active, etc.) which takes into account your basic daily activity - walking around, doing errands, cleaning, what you do for work (as well as extra activity if you have an active job like mail carrier or bike messenger). While you do these basic activities, you are taking steps BUT they have already been accounted for in the basic calorie formula. To count them again is double-dipping. Taking lots of steps is SO good for you and very healthy but, again, most of those have already been accounted for in the original MFP calorie formula. NOW, if after your basic day is done and you go on a specific fitness walk (faster pace, consistent heart rate elevation) or do the treadmill, that is extra and should be counted as an exercise session. By all means keep your goal of 10,000 steps a day - again, such a GREAT, HEALTHY goal - just don't try to credit all of that as exercise calories...count only the ones that are deliberate exercise sessions. I saw a big difference in my weekly loss when I stopped double-crediting myself for basic daily activity and only counted intentional fitness walking/exercise sessions. Hope it helps. Good luck!

This does make sense. My activity level is set to "Not very active" which should mean far less than the 10,000+ steps I am walking every day. I see no change in the value of that is being logged by MFP as my step count increases. If they really wanted to fix this "issue", wouldn't it make sense to give you zero benefit of steps until you cross you threshold as set by your activity level and then give you full credit instead of just giving you less all the time?