1,200 calories.....ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am at the 1250. It took about two weeks before I didn't feel like totally caving in. My diary is open, so you can look at what I eat. Some key foods that help me get along are V8, tuna and salmon packets, hearty soups with a lot of veggies, mushrooms, cottage cheese, apples, and watermelon are quite a few of my staples.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Squash is your friend. Easy and fast to cook in an electric pressure cooker. Half of a largish acorn squash with a bit of butter, and my grilled chicken last night kept me satiated until morning. Squash is solid, heavy, warm, filling, comforting. With very very few calories. Also, pickles are your friend!

I'm actually doing quite well on 1200. I have my highest calorie meal for breakfast, and a HUGE salad with grilled chicken for lunch, then dinner. This is the first time I've done this focusing 100% on calories and nutrition, making sure I get the most nutrition I can for my calories. I'm not even trying to exercise. Losing about 1.5lb a week. Would have to cut to 1000 calories that fitbit tells me if I wanted to lose 2 lb a week.
  • iuliadanila
    iuliadanila Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smoothies with loads of spinach, 1tbsp ground chia seeds, half a banana, juice you make yourself (or I use a cup of POM juice with water) will definitely help keep you full. Also, soups!! Load them up with veggies like squash, celery, zucchini, carrots, parsnips, chicken (try boiling them together and making your own broth). A well made soup with a lot of veggies goes a looooong way. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for half a year (when I exercise I eat more of course)
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Giant salads. Lots and lots of greens as a base then weigh out favorite veggies on top plus low calorie dressing if you want it. Also make sure to add protein to keep you full longer. A few of my favorites are

Romaine, Pico de Gallo, salsa, shredded taco chicken, half a serving black beans, a Tbsp bolt house ranch. Optional Avocado if I have the calories for it.

Spring mix, half a serving blue cheese, less sugar cranberries, sun dried Tomatos, 4 oz steak.

Spring mix, apple, chicken, blue cheese, honey mustard.

Possibilities are endless just make sure to weigh out the more calorie dense ingredients. It's easy to over do it without realizing.

Also for breakfast, sounds weird but Oatmeal with 120 grams of cooked egg whites, plus Berries and cinnamon. So filling for around 250 cals.

It's doable if you load up on veggies, protein/fiber.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Giant salads. Lots and lots of greens as a base then weigh out favorite veggies on top plus low calorie dressing if you want it. Also make sure to add protein to keep you full longer. A few of my favorites are

Romaine, Pico de Gallo, salsa, shredded taco chicken, half a serving black beans, a Tbsp bolt house ranch. Optional Avocado if I have the calories for it.

Spring mix, half a serving blue cheese, less sugar cranberries, sun dried Tomatos, 4 oz steak.

Spring mix, apple, chicken, blue cheese, honey mustard.

Possibilities are endless just make sure to weigh out the more calorie dense ingredients. It's easy to over do it without realizing.

Also for breakfast, sounds weird but Oatmeal with 120 grams of cooked egg whites, plus Berries and cinnamon. So filling for around 250 cals.

It's doable if you load up on veggies, protein/fiber.

Mmm your salads sound delicious! !
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Water! I find it extremely helpful to stay hydrated. 8-16 oz before meals or if you feel hungry. Determining physical hunger vs emotional. I normally eat so fast but when I slow things down I notice I'm fuller faster.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how everyone is different. Many people including my husband find soup filling. To me it does not fill me up and makes me more hungry. Only a heavy cream based soup with lots of potatoes and meat, or a soup that is almost all beans and meat is filling. Veggie soups with a broth base are worse then plain water to me hunger wise.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    It is interesting how everyone is different. Many people including my husband find soup filling. To me it does not fill me up and makes me more hungry. Only a heavy cream based soup with lots of potatoes and meat, or a soup that is almost all beans and meat is filling. Veggie soups with a broth base are worse then plain water to me hunger wise.

I am the opposite. I find soup completely satisfying, whereas I avoid salad whenever possible. For me it has been all about finding the foods that "stick" for me and keep me full. I wouldn't dare do oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, because those don't make me feel full at all. A boiled egg on some crisp bread crackers and I am good for hours.

Try different things and see what works for you, and adjust what doesnt. Just don't look at is as failure, rather practice at developing habits that will get you through the long haul.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    This may sound weird but snacking on a cup of dry cerial throughout the day helps me. Its only 100 cal and it keeps me full until my next meal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird but snacking on a cup of dry cerial throughout the day helps me. Its only 100 cal and it keeps me full until my next meal.

I love dry cereal.
    Popcorn is a great snack, too. You get a pretty good size serving, and it usually runs 130-150 calories per serving, depending on how it's made.
  • Zephrine
    Zephrine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is truly appropriate for you -- are you older, shorter, and sedentary? Then check out this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty/

If not, I'd suggest a less aggressive caloric deficit. Too many people are in a rush to lose weight quickly and find that it's not sustainable because they're hungry or lack energy. If you chose the option to lose 2 pounds a week and were given 1200 calories, set your goal to lose a pound a week and cut yourself some slack.

I know it's tempting to want to get the weight off, but weight management is a continuum that never ends. The loss phase is just the start. There is no need to rush through it. You will have to be conscientious about energy balance for the rest of your life in order to maintain whatever you lose. Think about that. Think about the long game. You have time.

Thankyou for this! I think I needed it today.

• SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can eat as many salads as you want of spinach, celery, lettuce and cucumber and you will not gain weight. you do not even have to log it in your food diary. For the dressing just use some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. For flavor you can use some of mrs. Dash herbs seasoning. Or create your own seasoning.

just please make sure that you are adhering to a safe amount of balanced macros.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You can eat as many salads as you want of spinach, celery, lettuce and cucumber and you will not gain weight. you do not even have to log it in your food diary. For the dressing just use some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. For flavor you can use some of mrs. Dash herbs seasoning. Or create your own seasoning.

just please make sure that you are adhering to a safe amount of balanced macros.

Why would you not log them?? They still have calories.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can easily eat 1200 calories and not be hungry. Cut out processed/packaged foods for a start. Then look at the amount of grains (wheat, corn, rice) and sugar you consume and limit those because they are calorie dense. MFP gives me 1690 calories a day, without even trying to go way under that I usually eat between 1100 and 1300 a day, 1300 being rare and a day where I splurge a bit on homemade baked goods (made with almond flour and stevia).
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day. It was hard at first but now I'm used to it. I actually find it hard to get to 1200 some days.