Afraid to fail... yet again...

Hello all, I'm Jen! I often wonder why I struggle to lose this weight... considering how many times I decided to 'start fresh', to only self sabotage and give up three days later. I DO NOT want to do that again. That vicious cycle is horrendous and I'm looking for a serious change. Any tips or tricks are welcome. Also, accountability buddies wouldn't hurt!

Replies

• sez334
    sez334 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm feeling it too. Gets to day three I'm tired and starving.
  • Valeska2017
    Valeska2017 Posts: 138 Member
    It's ok to feel fear but we cannot let it guide us. These kind of thoughts come to my mind sometimes but I just focus on the future reward and I do my best to enjoy the journey. We can do it :smile:
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Don't jump in with both feet. Make one small change and then another small change and then another. Baby steps will get you there with a lot less stress.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    jzim719 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm Jen! I often wonder why I struggle to lose this weight... considering how many times I decided to 'start fresh', to only self sabotage and give up three days later. I DO NOT want to do that again. That vicious cycle is horrendous and I'm looking for a serious change. Any tips or tricks are welcome. Also, accountability buddies wouldn't hurt!

I agree with @seska422, change one thing at a time. My experience is that when a person tries to start a diet and an exercise program both programs fail. At the same time, I can honestly say the one thing that has helped me the most is my myfitness friends. I have an awesome group who help motivate me and keep me accountable.

Feel free to add me.
  • wotan123
    wotan123 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I tot understand the yo yo effect having expernced it myself after giving up full time sport. Find the exercises you enjoy make them a habitand varied. Don't set your diet goals to extreem and make your timescales realistic. Share with friends and network it helps.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    I'm sure it's been said, but a change of thinking is necessary in order to change how you walk the journey. It's life decisions to exercise and avoid that extra large milk shake. It's also a journey where you walk and or run at times (pending on the reason or season), but it's a journey none the less. We can't look at weight loss like our microwave society. Yes we want it now, but the process of losing weight requires the knowledge, heart ache, pain, understanding, wisdom, the desire, the fortitude not just to do it, but to be conscious in your efforts while on this journey. Change it forever and not just for tomorrow.
  • lemeier7
    lemeier7 Posts: 1 Member
    Using "My Fitness Pal every single day to log in and keep track has helped me become aware of calories, sodium, protein, etc in my foods. Also ( I know most people aren't fans of this) but since I started this weight loss journey, I weigh every single day. As I've looked at the charts since I started Oct 6th.. I can see where I became stalled, etc,

You HAVE to realize that most of us aren't going to lose more than 2 pounds per week. I sooooo wanted to be in shape by Christmas, but have to come to the understanding that it is going to take time.. but I look at how I will feel at future social and business settings. .Just don't give up!!!!! Oh and I drink a shake for breakfast that has 32 grams of protein since I don't eat a lot of meat, but protein is very important as we all know.

p.s. I admit that I gave up all bread, sweets, (except Pineapple, blueberries, and apples) fried foods.. and sodas... Only alcohol I drink is red wine...Only crackers I eat are "Mary's Gone Crackers". I've tried moderation and it just didn't work for me.. But maybe it will for you! I don't have those mood swings either like I used to when eating breads and sweets. Every day is a new day to try and get it better.. .like Groundhog Day! lol
    Good LUCK!!!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I heard something the other day that I feel applies to life in general - "Don't start again, start different". If you "failed" doing it one way, find another way that you WILL be successful at and stick to.

One tip I can give you is to ask yourself if you really need to eat something that you're tempted by (whether it's a specific food or quantity). For me, I often say it loud...hearing that "conversation" with myself often makes me realize it's an urge rather than an actual need. When I say "need", I mean in order to survive...not what will make me feel good or happy. I can ALWAYS eat more, but I know that I don't need to.

More tips: be consistent, use a food scale, have healthy options available.
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    jzim719 wrote: »

Requested. Will help if I can