Belly fat...ughhhh

Hi...i been on a weight gain journey since March 2016. I have been taking Apetamin syrup to help with my weight gain. It really has helped put on some pounds. My starting weight was 112 pounds. As of today i weigh 132. But my problem area is my stomach. Seem like most of the weight went straight to my belly. Any suggestions on how to get my stomach back to normal? Lol...

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You are gaining too fast and therefore gaining fat. How many calories are you eating and what workouts do you do?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I think that's a common problem with ampetamine- do you think you could manage without it?
  • lplummer324
    lplummer324 Posts: 78 Member
    You are gaining too fast and therefore gaining fat. How many calories are you eating and what workouts do you do?

I try to take in at least 2400 calories a day. And i do crunches, squats, sit ups. But i don't workout regularly...maybe twice a week when i have time
  • lplummer324
    lplummer324 Posts: 78 Member
    I think that's a common problem with ampetamine- do you think you could manage without it?

I think i could...i stopped taking Apetamin as of last week and i managed to maintain my current weight so far
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    It could just be hereditary that your body holds weight around the stomach. Is that normal for you, your family? I always tend to be my biggest in the stomach and hips and thems just the breaks thanks Mom and Dad LOL! I'm not familiar with the ampetamine but that certainly could be a reason if gaining around the stomach is not normal for your body. Does that supplement/drug or whatever it is cause bloating/water retention or something like that? I would definitely agree that maybe this happened a bit too fast and lifting some weights might help you recomp to a more normal shape. But I also agree that spot reducing is an exercise in futility. Good luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You can't spot reduce. You gained quickly and whilst you were not bothered that it would be fat you'd gain, as you've discovered, gaining fat often means undesirable results as you're experiencing.

So your options are lose weight again and start lifting weights, then gain slowly so your gains are muscle not fat and this will minimise fat gains in the stomach. Or make your peace with the fact being a higher weight without weight lifting means a bigger belly due to your genetics.

This!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Unfortunately, this is what everyone was warning many of the apetamin users of; excessively fast weight gain rarely leads to desired results. But it's ok. What I would probably suggest is in line with @VintageFeline, do a moderate cut (10% below maintenance levels) and do a solid progressive overload resistance program. Once you get lean enough, you can work to add weight again but do it at a much slower rate (roughly 10% over maintenance calories) and continue to add progressive resistance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I try to take in at least 2400 calories a day. And i do crunches, squats, sit ups. But i don't workout regularly...maybe twice a week when i have time

So you're gaining all fat pretty much.

You may want to rethink that?
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    what is the purpose of your weight gain?

I have gained 4 lbs in the last 5 months due to heavy weight lifting and eating 250 cals per day more. I am not experiencing any fat gains that I can visually see.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    And to clarify further, when I say you can't spot reduce, I mean that all the crunches, squats and sit ups in the world won't magically shrink the fat from your stomach. If only that were true. All the leg work I do I should have killer legs by now but nope, still too much fat covering up all that work due to my genetics and body shape meaning I have a lot of fat on my thighs!