Wine? Yes or No?

Options
So curious question will I still lose weight if I drink red wine and documented in MyFitnessPal while maintaining my calories. Just curious what everyone's opinion is and is there people losing weight that drink?
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, if you're in a calorie deficit, but you may find you retain water so getting the loss to show up on the scales can be harder.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Yes. Pre-log your wines then your food. Or just pre-log that day when you're certain you'll be drinking. You are to log wine first because it's easier to pull hidden calories away from certain dishes, by ingredient subtraction/substitution.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your calorie deficit is maintained, yes.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes. Pre-log your wines then your food. Or just pre-log that day when you're certain you'll be drinking. You are to log wine first because it's easier to pull hidden calories away from certain dishes, by ingredient subtraction/substitution.

I do this too ^^^. Pre-log the wine. At times is it a bit shocking when I realize: hm-mm, should 3-4 glasses of wine REALLY be my meal??? LOL...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.
    My way to save some calories but keep the enjoyment was to pay twice as much per bottle of wine but drink half the amount.
    Cheers!

PS - if you are on a very low calorie allowance then the "empty calories" of alcohol won't be the best choice if it crowds out more nutritious foods/drinks.
    Personally that's another reason not to go for a very low calorie allowance.....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drank red wine virtually every night when I was losing weight and I still have it several times a week now that I'm maintaining. As long as you log the calories accurately so you can hit your goal, you should be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I will ride for wine...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes! I am not a believer in eliminating any foods you normally eat/drink. As long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.

I agree with everyone prelogging and planning their day. It is very eye opening how many empty calories we tend to ingest when we are not aware of it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Wine has been in my food diary more times than I could ever count, and I'm losing just fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had a glass of wine pretty much every day while I was losing, and now that I'm in maintenance, it's usually 2 (sometimes 3... ). As long as you account for the calories in your log, and make sure that you are getting adequate sustenance and nutrition from the foods you are eating, then there's no reason to abstain for weight loss purposes.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yes! Wine is good! <3

Now I really want a glass of wine...
  • BootyShakingBadAss
    BootyShakingBadAss Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was scrolling and saw the title of this post and immediately thought the answer that questions is always YESSSSS
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    enutdav wrote: »
    I have to admit I was scrolling and saw the title of this post and immediately thought the answer that questions is always YESSSSS

Ditto.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Just watch out for the munchies that may come if you get buzzed off a few glasses.

I'm a lightweight so I have to keep it at two glasses max if I'm trying to reign it in.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I am not against alcohol, but the issue is that it uses up precious calories and provides zero nutritional value. Plus as pointed out above, it can create the desire to eat more. Nutrition is so important for health, especially when restricting calories.

If you want to drink regularly, I would encourage you to up your calorie goal accordingly and accept a slightly slower rate of loss. Especially if your goal is on the low end (1200-1400 for women, 1800-1900 for men). 2 glasses of wine or beer could use 20% or more of your daily calorie allotment. Not the best way to approach it, IMO.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options

That's exactly what I do login my wine if I know I'm going to have a couple drinks with the girls that day. It's much easier so I know what my calories are to eat.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options

I do this too ^^^. Pre-log the wine. At times is it a bit shocking when I realize: hm-mm, should 3-4 glasses of wine REALLY be my meal??? LOL...

Right lol, that's why I try to find a red wine with fewer calories than others.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    I drank red wine virtually every night when I was losing weight and I still have it several times a week now that I'm maintaining. As long as you log the calories accurately so you can hit your goal, you should be fine.

Thanks so much that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I do intervals 5 times a day and if I know I'm going to drink I always login in first so I know what the rest of my calories are. And I literally have two cups of 5ounces of red wine depending on my stress 3 sometimes.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Red red wine, you make me feel so fine.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm down 118 pounds and I still drink beer, wine and hard alcohol. Obviously not as much as I used to because you can't lose weight without a deficit, but alcohol in and of itself does not prevent weight loss. If you want to work it into your calorie allowance, go for it.