Strength training with frozen shoulder

Options
Unfortunately, I have frozen shoulder that seems to limit strength training when using the left hand which now has considerably reduced range of motion. I am about to begin physical therapy and it may take a few months to recover range of motion and strength. What exercises can be done in order to preserve muscle mass without aggravating and causing further injury?

Weight: 130 lb
Height: 5'5"
Body fat: ~18-20% skinny fat with mainly abdominal fat

Calories eaten: Roughly 17-1800
Exercises: Mainly jogging/running 5+ days a week with 30 min/day at a 4-5 mile/hour speed.

Thanks. Any advice is most appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Listen to your PT, he or she will tell you what exercises. You don't want to make your shoulder worse. Speaking from experience here.
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 -- Thank you for responding.

My physician told me that this process could take months. I guess that I have to be patient.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I still have a frozen shoulder, it takes some time. I hope you feel better soon <3
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I've helped rehab people from this, but it can take up to a few months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rprr wrote: »

My physician told me that this process could take months. I guess that I have to be patient.

s/he might just have been focused on the shoulder itself. i think it's still worth asking what things you can still safely do to maintain strength and health in the rest of your body in the meantime. might take a bit of communication work if they have tunnel vision, but worth a try.

some things you could run by them and ask for a yes/no answer about: deadbugs, glute bridges, air squats, theraband stuff for the lower body. that's all that comes to my mind atm, because my knowledge about your condition is basically nil.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rprr wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have frozen shoulder that seems to limit strength training when using the left hand which now has considerably reduced range of motion. I am about to begin physical therapy and it may take a few months to recover range of motion and strength. What exercises can be done in order to preserve muscle mass without aggravating and causing further injury?

Weight: 130 lb
    Height: 5'5"
    Body fat: ~18-20% skinny fat with mainly abdominal fat

Calories eaten: Roughly 17-1800
    Exercises: Mainly jogging/running 5+ days a week with 30 min/day at a 4-5 mile/hour speed.

Thanks. Any advice is most appreciated.

Not fun (been working on a frozen shoulder myself). At the worst point of it this summer - I couldn't even reach into the dryer to get my clothes out it hurt so much.

It takes time, but your body (shoulder) will know immediately which lifts you can and cannot do. Squats have been out for me for a few months as the movement to get the bar on and off my shoulders is too painful - so dead lifts and leg press instead in the meantime. I am able to do push-ups again, curls, rows, and lower weight bench press - and have been slowly working up to some of my other favorite lifts. Lots of rubber band resistance work to regain the motion from the frozen shoulder (which is what the PT is going to do for you).

Be patient and give it time. It wouldn't hurt to hire out for a nice weekly massage as well to work on tension in the neck and shoulder area. B)

Best of luck. It will get better. Just follow the PTs advice and listen to your shoulder. It will tell you everything you need to know about what you can and can't do...
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advice and encouragement you have provided in this thread. I will update this once I have gone to visit the PT.