Cardio then strength?

Options
I'm just curious if getting into running before strength training is a wise idea.

I, thankfully, seem to have excellent muscle memory from my time in the service. I can go a year without doing anything but seem to get back to my goal of push ups, squats, and crunches within a week of working out.

However, I currently walk/jog almost every morning before work. I have always done mon-wed-fri as body weight and tue-thu as Cardio but now I'm thinking to just do Cardio until I hit my goal weight, then start back into strength.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else started this way or if there is a more reasonable approach. Also, how often do the folks who jog/run go out and do it? Monday through Friday are the days I go but I don't wanna be overdoing it.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Why wait to start strength training?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If I were to pick only one I would say ditch the cardio and focus on strength because when in weight loss, strength work will help to reduce the muscle lost during the diet. Although cardio will help to build a calorific deficit, it can (with a lot of long steady state cardio work) lead to muscle loss.

But, you can do both, gradually building up your cardio endurance by running and using your gym sessions for strength work.

In your case I would do 4 or 5 morning sessions of running and switch to a 4 session per week strength routine in the gym.
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Slightly_Amusing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

I guess because over the years of trying this I have always burned out. I feel this time I should start out slow. I'm not looking at a total lack of strength training, but going from a 30-45 minute session to a 10-15 minute after a run.
  • cathipa
    Options

I guess because over the years of trying this I have always burned out. I feel this time I should start out slow. I'm not looking at a total lack of strength training, but going from a 30-45 minute session to a 10-15 minute after a run.

If you strength training consisted of bodyweight only I could see where this could get stagnant. Have you tried using weights?
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Options
    I have not used weights. I've never really had someone to help/show/spot or whatever. I've always used just bodyweight workouts. I do like the idea of switching it up weekly though.

That seems like a good way to keep going each week so I can plan my workouts for strength week. Sounds like it would keep it interesting
  • cathipa
    Options
    Find a good strength plan vs creating one. Bodybuilding.com has many great strength training plans and they are free. I used to cardio only then I started lifting 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Cardio does have its place, but it is mostly for cardiovascular health. While cutting (losing weight) you need to incorporate strength training so you don't lose muscle mass. Diet also is important as well and keeping protein high (0.8g/pound) will prevent muscle wasting. How much do you have to lose until you get to goal?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of free videos on line (I use Fitness Blender off YouTube quite a bit) for simple weight based workouts - you can do them at home (most only require some simple handweights that you can buy at any sporting goods store)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For body weight strength work outs I wold recommend Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym. It is an excellent book (and available as an app) with details of how to perform lots of body weight exercises and then hoe to structure them into progressive work outs.

Convict conditioning is also mentioned as a good resource for body weight work outs as is anything by Al Kavadro (check him out on YouTube)
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Options
    Find a good strength plan vs creating one. Bodybuilding.com has many great strength training plans and they are free. I used to cardio only then I started lifting 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Cardio does have its place, but it is mostly for cardiovascular health. While cutting (losing weight) you need to incorporate strength training so you don't lose muscle mass. Diet also is important as well and keeping protein high (0.8g/pound) will prevent muscle wasting. How much do you have to lose until you get to goal?

I still have 25lbs to be at my goal. That would put me right around 190-185. I'm 5'11.
    there are a lot of free videos on line (I use Fitness Blender off YouTube quite a bit) for simple weight based workouts - you can do them at home (most only require some simple handweights that you can buy at any sporting goods store)

Thank you! I'll check it out this afternoon!

For body weight strength work outs I wold recommend Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym. It is an excellent book (and available as an app) with details of how to perform lots of body weight exercises and then hoe to structure them into progressive work outs.

Convict conditioning is also mentioned as a good resource for body weight work outs as is anything by Al Kavadro (check him out on YouTube)

I have a copy of convict on Kindle and will totally check out the You Are your own gym.

Thank you all for the replies so far!